KET
Two years ago

36ers last two spots

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/in-the-mix-free-agency-watch

They're taking the piss a little bit?

Imagine if they failed to score any of those let alone anyone on the level that they have listed.

Mega ambitions.

Topic #50279 | Report this topic

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Very odd...

Reply #896129 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Handy players on the list.
I reckon it will be Bairstow and One of Hopson/Trice/Adams. I'd be happy with that.

Reply #896130 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

That's strange by the Sixers?

As if their budget could afford those’s players with Cleveland and Franks already on board.

Humphries or Bairstow would be good to bring back in my opinion.

Reply #896131 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Sounds like 6ers have a blank cheque book this year to go win a title.
SEM have also said championship or bust.

Reply #896134 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

Humphries,
Only if his contract is based around fitness goals, ie trainings and/or games played
Cam Bairstow
Excellent. But again as above.
Josh Adams.
Not the sort of player I would have thought we wanted, but CJ did want a game closer, and if he is affordable....
Duop Reath
Yeah we all saw the footage of him hanging out with Cleveland on the concourse at summer league
Mangok Mathiang
Surely he is bound for Melbourne United…

Reply #896135 | Report this post

Rod Grizzard fan  
Two years ago

Very odd that they add players like Trimble and Trice when they are already contracted overseas

Reply #896140 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Perth are looking at bairstow but right now they are looking at an import 4-5 man . The preference is to for an big gun monster upfront.

Reply #896141 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Agreed Ballin Fan, Humphries would have to have a games played clause in his contract as a minimum after last season.

With Franks and Cleveland signed, and capable guards like McCarron and Dech already on the roster, I think a good big man should be the priority right now. DJ needs more support, especially against the bigger centres.

If late 2020 Humphries exists, then he would be a great option for the Sixers, but I don't have a lot of faith. If not him, then...

I like the idea of Baynes if he can't get an NBA contract. He is not going to get pushed around by anyone in the NBL. The only issue there would be how well he and DJ would co-exist. If they can't play together, would there be enough minutes to keep both happy?

Alternatively, Reath is more mobile, so perhaps could play with DJ better? But on the other hand, he's going to get out-muscled by the bigger centres, just like DJ does.

What's John Mooney doing right now? Love the way that guy plays. Sixers haven't had a hard nosed rebounding big man like him since Mark Davis retired!

Bairstow would be a nice guy to bring back off the bench, but only if we can keep him to less than 20 mins most games.

Reply #896142 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

That list looks more like the NBL decided they wanted to drum up a bit of FA interest and asked the Sixers if they could 'use' them to do so. I mean if Durant's not available I'd settle for LeBron lol

CJ even talking about re-signing Humphries is a joke and no there are no games played clauses in contracts, locals get fully guaranteed deals whether they play the whole season or do a season ending injury in training camp.

Humphries can't be considered if we're even half serious which with Franks & Cleveland on board we should be. Bairstow I would be okay with but keep in mind we only really got about 1/3 of good production out of him. The middle 1/3 of the season his production dropped off dramatically and he missed the last 1/3 due to injury.

Reply #896143 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Zodiac, you're probably somewhere around the mark. It is a very odd article for a club to release about itself as opposed to a journalist. Basically just saying they are interested in every big man still available. The Adams rumour has been around for a little while so you'd say Adams and Bairstow is the most likely combo from that list I would guess. I would still take Humphries if it were up to me.

Reply #896145 | Report this post

Observer  
Two years ago

I wouldn't be after humpries,he’s injury prone,gosh barely played last Season,plus where was he when he was injured,off to Sydney.Only there to support Sixers in NSW .
Reath be good pick up but we have too many guards we need a tall to round off team .
Bairstow is an outside chance but they will want someone who can run fast .bear is great but slow getting back in defence.
There’s Purchase who played for Perth hardly used. Young can shoot the 3

Be interesting to see who Sixers pick up,can’t wait for season to start.

Reply #896150 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Almost don't want to discuss the possibilities because we will only be disappointed if they don’t get 1-2 of those at that kind of level.

36ers are such a classic over-promise under-deliver club especially from a PR perspective.

No doubt they have splashed the cash and tried to Real Madrid it kinda the past few years, and maybe this is a message to players they’re talking to and try to show that they are serious about wanting a championship.

Just can’t help but be wary because of 36ers track record

Also, who is the backup PG? If they went an import PG starter and a big....no backup PG?

Maybe they feel they don’t need a backup PG and want the best talent even if it distorts the balance a bit.

Reply #896151 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

ye trice in spain and also anti vax if covid is mandate

Reply #896153 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

Thon?

Reply #896170 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Isn't Dufelmeir their backup point? Or did we not sign him?

Reply #896175 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two years ago

Tad Jnr is unsigned.

Reply #896177 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

The way the roster is shaping, you'd think Dech would be the back up PG on paper, but you'd also imagine they'd have to be crafty with how they manage the minutes if they bring in an import combo.

I don't know if missing out on Humphries means they'll spend more on an import or if they were going hard for both in the first place.

Reply #896179 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Will be interesting who the 36ers sign on. The JJ's are now after an injury replacement for Stiendl, also now in the market for a player.

Reply #896227 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

If they sign a gun pg, finding minutes for that player, Mitch and Sunday will be interesting.
We look a big man short but also need that elite PG running the team. Assume we will find out soon, preseason must start soon

Reply #896230 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I think they've updated to remove Humphries from the list?

Still seems so odd. Adams I don’t think will be in the NBL, Santa laughed at Adelaide when brought up about it and basically intimated they are already spending too much to be a able to afford him.

Would love to see Bairstow back and hopefully a decent import PG.

Plz don’t pull the "we will get an import midseason" nonsense again.

Reply #896233 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I doubt they will assuming they intend to sign a third import. That "we might sign a third import later in the season" crap was JVG's shtick he used to do that at the Kings too.

Reply #896234 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

It's funny how the suggestion is that Adelaide have spent a laughable amount so far, but you still feel like there's something missing on paper. I don't have Adelaide as a top 4 team right now and yet they've been the big players of the off season.

Reply #896236 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Santa probably laughed about Josh Adams being linked to Adelaide because the NBL and player agents have been using the 36ers name publicly to leverage other teams in negotiations for the past couple of years like Casper Ware last season.

Just like that stupid article the NBL posted the other day linking everyone and their dog including Humphries to the Sixers, when they would've already known he was signing with United given it was announced the next day.

Reply #896237 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

It's possible Adelaide paid significant overs for MM, DJ, Dech, Franks, Cleveland to fend off competition

I don’t think 36ers are necessarily effective spenders

Reply #896243 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Sign Mike Harris

Reply #896295 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Who? Hopefully it's Trice and a solid big.

Reply #896303 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Thon and Reath looking likely to be going to China.
Leaves Bairstow, Baynes or Mangok as bigs.
Trice, Adams or Hopson as the import.

Reply #896479 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Such a silly article to write, such a 36ers thing to do

Reply #896480 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Sotto back for NBL23 hahaha

Reply #896602 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Good move for both Kai and Adelaide I think, but the Adelaide announcement is looking sillier by the day...

Reply #896604 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

I think Coach CJ will start Kai Sotto over the washed up Daniel Johnson.

Kai will play with a chip on his shoulder and will be out for redemption after going undrafted.

He will be in contention for league MVP on his journey towards the NBA.

Reply #896607 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Daly what will Sotto's averages be this upcoming season?

Reply #896608 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

League MVP oh my put down the pipe dude

Reply #896609 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

If Kai doesn't have crocodile team mates this year he will easily average 20 and 10.

No big man in this bush league can match up with the Filipino behemoth.

Reply #896610 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Where to now for the 36ers?? Not going to get anyone from the list they put out.
Hopefully Bairstow plays/if he does it will be Adelaide. Then CJ has to nail the 3rd import, what ever position he thinks is required. Went from 2 nice pieces to we need a stud real quick.
Hopefully Sotto has worked on his conditioning and can be a starter.

Reply #896611 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

Bairstow looking unlikely, so who is available for the 36ers to target?

Do they go after an import big now and bring in someone like Duff to fill the guard rotation or do they still bring in an import guard and look for an Aussie/NZ big?

Reply #896724 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Hopefully Sotto has worked on his conditioning and can be a starter."

Surely the starting line-up is Johnson, Franks, Cleveland, import guard & McCarron?

Reply #896725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

They've spent a lot of money on Dech (and DJ) to bring them off the bench. Maybe they push in the chips and add another solid import, but would it be surprising if Dech starts? The FA article could just be a precursor to putting Bairstow on the bench?

Reply #896737 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

I don't think the issue is Bairstow coming off the bench, I think it is getting his signature.

If he doesn't sign what path do the 36ers take?

They need another serviceable big and an import that can close out games and relieve ball handling duties.

Reply #896739 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I didn't watch lots of NBL last season, but I guess an issue with signing Franks is that he is another offensive type player next to DJ who isn't known to be a solid defender. So again, it's this failure to properly balance someone next to DJ. Maybe it will work out well, who knows?

I think Adelaide should just go for the best defensive minded rebounding big they can find and then spend the money on an import.

But it's a catch 22 because you could justify using an import spot to shore up both positions, and in both cases you might be sending DJ and Dech to the bench. You could bring in an import to play behind DJ and Franks but then you just run the risk of relying too much on Mitch again. I think you're more likely to find a local big man who can give you something similar to an import, than you can a local PG. Either way, it does seems a bit unbalanced.

Reply #896743 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Jack Salt is a free agent, has size and is happy to crash the boards and set screens.
Won't cost a ton either

Reply #896744 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Mystro,

Yes someone like that. I would even choose him over Bairstow.

I think the roster is what it is now so may as well go hard at a final import piece if they have the funds to do it.

Even having a spark plug type import off the bench so Dech can start gives them a decent defensive unit.

But they've missed the boat on another high level local big plus and import so you'd think they'd go hard at a third import.

Reply #896745 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

Salt was the only other one I could think of.

Reply #896747 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

If Bairstow isn't an option there's also Hodgson, Jawai, Ogilvy.

Reply #896748 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Hodgson won't play for peanuts and is a bit of a knucklehead, Jawai is a beast but has too many question marks around his fitness.
Ogilvy def adds some experience and a positive locker room influence but at 34 how much does he have left in the tank?

Reply #896756 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Bairstow likely wouldn't play for peanuts either and I was happy with Hodgson at the Sixers last time no doubt he would need to take a cut after recent seasons.

Jawai is a question mark but Ogilvy only just turned 34 should have a good 3-4 years left in him.

Reply #896760 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

Jawai is linked to the Bullets and Ogilvy is retiring.

Hodgson is too slow and dumb for how CJ wants to play.

Reply #896764 | Report this post

An1234  
Two years ago

Jawai isn't linked to bullets, they already have Baynes, Gorjok, Harrison and Froling as their bigs.

Hodgson still better option that Ogilvy

Reply #896767 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Confirmation that Tad Dufelmeier won't be returning to the 36ers:

The introduction of the Darwin Salties into the NBL1 North competition has showcased the appetite for the game in the city. With Melbourne United recruit Makuach Maluach and former 36er Tad Dufelmeier amongst their ranks, the Salties have gone 10-7 so far this season to sit sixth in the competition.

One of Dufelmeier's former NBL teammates - current Adelaide and Boomers guard Mitch McCarron, says he can’t wait to return to his roots and play basketball in the Northern Territory.

https://nbl.com.au/news/mccarron-set-for-return-to-roots

Seems a bit odd this one it was clear CJ wasn't a fan of him playing him as little as possible but I thought Tad showed enough at Cairns to be at least a solid back-up PG in the NBL.

With Isaac White also now off the board it looks increasingly like an import PG will be on the way perhaps the only question remaining is whether that guy will start or back up McCarron.

Reply #896960 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

The talk has always been they need a guard who can either get his own shot off and/or get the others open shots.
CJ has mentioned it
McCarron has mentioned it.
Tad isn't getting minutes in front of McCarron, Dech and an import guard.

Reply #896969 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Basically they need a big and a guard.

Bigs wise - they really need a defensive minded guy because 36ers will get sfa out of DJ/Sotto and probably not enough out of Franks.

They more then sufficiently cover things offensively, and will be the three taking on just about all the minutes for bigs.

To that extent - not much point spending money on Bairstow - despite the fact he'd be a great piece - if you can find a cheaper guy that will fit the defensive small minutes role.

I’d rather they put the money into a good offensive threat import guard and have Dech play 6th man. Between McCarron, Dech, Cleveland that’s a whole lot of elite defence but not enough of an offensive threat.

These last two signings will show how keen they are for balance and making life easier for the best 5/6 we have at the moment.

Reply #896973 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

I'd imagine they’ll start Import Guard, McCarron, Dech, Cleveland and Franks and bring DJ off the bench.

Reply #896975 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Why? Isn't Cleveland SG role, at most SF?
Isn’t Franks more of a PF than C?

That’s a mosquito squad if I’ve ever seen one

Reply #896981 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I think Adelaide should sign Jack Salt or Hodgson. Sotto is the pinch hitter.

Have to be targeting an import combo to either start or maybe a spark behind McCarron. I'd honestly lean towards bringing in an import 6th man type so that Dech can start.

Reply #896983 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Cleveland is a SG and you couldn't play Franks at centre. I think DJ will be starting at centre and the import PG will likely be the back up to McCarron.

Reply #896984 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I said a few days ago if Bairstow is still injured then I would like to see us sign Hodgson again. I don't think Sotto could genuinely handle playing as the second string centre.

Reply #896986 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Cleveland was a 3-4 for Illawarra last season, I don't think he's shrunk!

Reply #896989 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

If we cant afford Bairstow I'd be happy to give Jack Salt a go,

I hope we sign a import PG, out of the names in the article the other week I'd like Trice or someone like him

That would give us

Johnson/Sotto/Salt
Franks/Galloway
Cleveland/Harris
McCarron/Drmic
Trice/Dech

Which is a nice upgrade on last years team

Reply #896990 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Cleveland was a 3-4 for Illawarra last season, I don't think he's shrunk!

Cleveland's a 6'5" shooting guard.

Reply #896993 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

Well I guess we'll see then won’t we?

Reply #896996 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Liam linked 36ers to about every big name around - Bairstow, Hodgson, Acouth...

One thing appears clear, they're keen for a backup big.

I don’t think Adelaide should waste their efforts by going for a backup import guard if they can afford to get a starting guard.

Off the bench imports don’t seem to work well for 36ers, they seem to annoyed at lack of court time and the frustration overflows to their actual game.

Reply #897033 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I agree they shouldn't but they've obviously shelled out a lot of money on McCarron and then lured Franks and Cleveland this off-season I dare say there probably wouldn't be much left to play with. I think Dufelmeier would've been adequate without the risk of drama ala Donald Sloan.

Reply #897036 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

I'm thinking the import is all but done. Were never getting a high caliber centre. Think they’ll hold to see if Bairstow goes on, body permitting.
Maybe Franks ends games at centre with Mitch, import, Cleveland and Dech. That’s one hell of a defensive unit.

Reply #897037 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:12 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754