Bulldog
Two years ago

Australia vs New Zealand, Asia Cup Semi Final

Australia faces New Zealand in the Asia Cup Semi Final tomorrow night (Saturday), should be fun to watch. It's always fun when we clash with the kiwis.

Topic #50286 | Report this topic

mball  
Two years ago

Love to see it although it's a pity these teams aren't on opposite sides of the draw with a potential GF game.

Reply #896213 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

An East Asia v West Asia GF - I think the organisers would prefer that, rather than an Australasian one

Reply #896215 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

FIBA Asia would die if it was an Aus v NZ final. They hate us being part of Asia as it is.

Reply #896217 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I would rather if the Boomers could be in EuroBasket or the Americas competition as a wildcard rather playing in Asia.

At least in Europe the Boomers would have to put a decent team in. They will struggle to even get out of the group stage depending on what group their in. Aussie's usually get the group of death at World Cups.

Reply #896218 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Excuse my laziness in not simply googling, but does anyone know where you can stream the game?

Reply #896220 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Australia has put a stronger team in than NZ, I know that is hard to believe but true. This should be a walk in the park and Australia by twenty.

Reply #896221 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

So it's not even going to be semi-interesting then?

Reply #896223 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Back in my day you were either Tasman or non-Tasman and that's how you stayed. There was none of this Trans Tasman business.

Reply #896224 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Two years ago

@Master chief- it's on Kayo if you have it.

Reply #896232 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

SmallieBiggs, thanks for your reply.

Reply #896235 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

Also Courtside1891.basketball (a bizarre new name that replaces livebasketball.net) but might need to use a VPN to locate yourself outside Australia. It might work out cheaper than Kayo, unless using the Kayo trial.

Reply #896250 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I got courtside1891. It isn't too bad.

All the boomers games work from finals which is good. Get to watch the interviews after the game.

ESPN/Kayo are poor not showing the after match interviews.

Reply #896251 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Who's Mike Kelly’s assistants?

Reply #896255 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Brad Davidson and Kerry Williams are the assistants. Kerry a little surprising imo.

Does the main commentator for this game usually do New Zulund games? He certainly loves them judging from his over exuberance whenever they get a bucket.

Reply #896257 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Also doing the Steph Curry sleep thing is super lame.

Reply #896258 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

The whole Asia Cup has been trash and is an indictment on basketball in the region.

Reply #896260 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

Re: Asia Cup being trash, the Japan game was a decent game. A few Japanese players caught fire from long range. The commentators are trash, though.

Reply #896261 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

It's a very low quality tournament, as someone else mentioned, be better playing game against South America.

Reply #896262 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Australia receiving a Eurovision-style wildcard would be nice although it won't happen.

Reply #896263 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Boomers should beat Lebanon. Lebanon could barely beat Jordan without one of Jordan's main centres. Game was only 1pt surprisingly. Jordan’s centre got thrown out of the game early with 2 technical fouls, silly he elbowed one of the Lebanon players.

Was hoping the Boomers would play Jordan because they fought really hard after their bad lose against Australia. It’s really on the Boomers getting the job done because talent wise the Boomers are better by a mile as a team.

Reply #896266 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Game was closer than I thought it would be.

Maker was the difference. I can see him being a good NBL player but not going back to the NBA anytime soon. I think WMW is going to have a breakout season if he starts for NZ.

Flynn Cameron for NZ is a lot better than I thought. We'll see him in the NBL at some stage.

Reply #896268 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Plus Jordan Hunter who was an ex-nbl development player for Cairns. He can shoot the outside shot well plus rebound.

Cairns were silly to let him go, hope another nbl team can pick Hunter up.

Reply #896270 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Jordan Hunter-Aus and Jordan hunt-nz are different players.

Reply #896271 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Yeah Flynn Cameron looks like a solid NBL prospect.

As for the tournament, it's only a good thing for basketball in the region in the long-run. I would hope next time the organisers take into account summer league etc to try and encourage bigger names to play - for Australia yes, but also teams like Japan who have some legit talents and would've been a bigger threat with only just a couple of their big names who didn't play.

Reply #896272 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

AngusH,

Don't forget NZ. When they have all their guns, they can beat Australia, don't worry.

I think the tournament is a good opportunity for players who want to represent their country. Basketball as true global sport has lots of depth, so there is something in it for someone.

Reply #896275 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I've really been impressed with McDowell White. Hadn't seen much of hom before but he certainly looks like someone who can play when focused and can make big shots.

I agree with the above that Maker super unlikely to ever play NBA again but should be a solid option in the NBL.

Proctor has been fun to watch. Hope he continues to go from strength to strength in college. Main thing is for him to see some court time.

Ducas looks like someone who can play a role in the NBL.

For New Zealand, Cameron is clearly a different player from his old man but definitely looks to have some talent.

Reply #896289 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"Don't forget NZ. When they have all their guns, they can beat Australia, don't worry."

Depends what Australia you're talking about. If you're talking about the one set to play tonight, yes. If you're talking about the Boomers NBL A Team.. unlikely. If you're talking Boomers best A team - not a chance.

Reply #896290 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Nz 20 man depth chart

Webster - Ili - Leafa - Cameron
Webster - King* - Prewster - Murray
Abercrombie - Terangi - Ngatai - Harris
Delany - Fotu - Vodanovich - Waardenburg
Adams - Wetzell - Harrison - Timmins

Next crop to be added

Nance
Book
Gapare
Mennenga
Gold
Etc

Reply #896291 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Two years ago

There were three times I thought Australia were going to run away with it and win by more than 25. Particularly after Thon Maker did a 1-on-5 scoring spree in the third. Yet after some beautiful basketball, there were consecutive misses and some ugly makes by the Tall Blacks and then the difference would tighten up again.

I'm excited by what WMW has to offer to the Breakers this season - his 3pt jumper was handy. I thought the Boomers missed having a genuine scoring 2-guard, Proctor was too raw for that role and McCarron/WMW are both 1s. A shooting threat would've blown this game up.

In the same way, the TBs didn't have a capable 3-man as an off-ball defender to cut off some of the dribble drives and provided a bail-out option for Flynn Cameron (who had to play ball-dominant). If they took Jordan Ngatai, the TBs would've taken the upset. Fahrensohn looked out of sorts and Isaac Davidson looks to be another baller who will dominate the NZ league without the means to take the next step. Jordan Hunt certainly took the next step.

At the moment, my future main TBs 12 (post-2023) looks like this:

Wetzell / Waardenburg
I.Fotu / Delany / Mennenga
Te Rangi / Riley
Cameron / Murray
T.Webster / ili / Le'afa

Aside from what we do with the 3-spot (and I hope Zach Riley can fill that based on the promising ball that we saw from him last season), its a promising team with plenty of expertise.

Reply #896292 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

I know he likely chose Summer League over the Boomers this off season but DJ Vasiljevic would be really handy in the shooting guard role for this Boomers side right?

Reply #896294 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

I kinda like Vague, feel like he could be a solid bench big in NBL.

Bigger picture it's good for the Asian countries to get exposure against a powerhouse basketball country even if it’s 4th string team...

Kinda like dream team 1992 blowing everyone out, 8 years later margins often single digits…

Reply #896308 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Asia aren't going to improve that rapidly though.

Reply #896309 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Maybe, maybe not. Who imagined a possible NBA prospect coming out of Indonesia, even just a few years ago?

Reply #896311 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754