Bored
Two years ago

Designated NBL1 slot on NBL roster

Posting this idea from Andrew Canyon on the NBL pocket podcast. I think it's a great idea to support the Nbl1 and support the league growth.

What if every Nbl1 team was allocated one roster spot that has to be used on an NBL1 player from the previous season and it has no restrictions eg it can be an import or a local player. You might need to put a salary cap on it to stop teams abusing the system to get a fourth import but could be easily fixed.

You could make it has to be from the local league too if you want. Eg Perths spot has to be used on a West player.

Most often this would be used on the best imports in the leagues but would also give Aussies an opportunity too through a designated spot.

Very cool concept. Thoughts?

Topic #50294 | Report this topic

Ben  
Two years ago

No thank you. There are already enough designated spots for things, why confuse followers with another concept that isn't needed. If NBL1 players are good enough to play NBL then they’ll find the way in to the league eventually.

Reply #896396 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

What's stopping a NBL club stashing an import in a local club and then picking up that player as a 4th import.
I think if you said it was going to be a Lachlan barker type player, or even a player that has never played NBL before that is over 25, I’d be ok with it

Reply #896397 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

There are already DP spots.
I agree with Ben, if they're good enough they’ll earn a contract especially with expansion.

Reply #896399 | Report this post

An1234  
Two years ago

Silly concept in all seriousness.
Too assume their isn't enough "local" talent is also insulting. I listened to their podcast, for the first 30 minutes they spoke about new imports they didn’t know anything about. And I’m not saying they knew nothing, I mean they actually admit to not knowing anything about the new signings. Why do a podcast on things you know nothing about. Which goes to show you any peanut can start a podcast.
Then to say there isn’t enough local talent shows their lack of knowledge of college kids coming out in the coming years.

Reply #896400 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Two years ago

I would imagine the 10th/11th man slots for every team are fringe NBL/NBL1 guys, where either the player has just 'graduated' from NBL1 or playing their second season in the NBL following a graduation. By my count, I have four players in this (Gorjok Gak - Brisbane, Ben Ayre - Cairns, Lat Mayen - Cairns, Makuach Maluach - Melbourne).

There are more returning NCAA players than NBL1 'graduates' to fill up/coming roles - and I would hate for a scenario where the latter was prioritised over the former. And going to 12 players would essentially put the NBL1 'graduate' in a DP role.

Reply #896403 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Pointless

Half the league plays NBL1 in winter

Reply #896405 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

It sounds similar to G-league concept with NBA 2-way contracts. If it increases the depth of all clubs (last year was brutal for injuries) plus gives extra appeal for playing in NBL1 why not ? (the NBA gives the g-league a lot more credibility than the poor salaries would otherwise warrant)

Reply #896408 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

PyroCross add Lual Diing going to Brisbane?

Reply #896409 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It's pointless with locals, because plenty of those play NBL1 anyway. It came up with imports back when CJ Massingale briefly signed with Adelaide, and there's merit to it for someone like that but Andrew raised it in the context of Devondrick Walker and Carter Skaggs. Neither of them have a long tenure here, and Walker has already made an NBL team as an import without any extra assistance.

Reply #896421 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754