Edinburgh 90
Two years ago

Brady Manek to Perth

Stretch 4 who had a great senior season at North Carolina, helping them to the national championship game. Not much of a defender or rebounder but definitely a weapon offensively. Perth will go small with Tashawn Thomas at the 5 it looks. Some question marks at the guard spots and with shot-creation in general. Expect teams to really load up on Cotton. Should be an interesting team. Seems more teams going the two-import big men route this year.

Topic #50300 | Report this topic

Saint23  
Two years ago

i was hoping Alan williams was going to sign

Reply #896548 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

PERTH
PG: Norton | Zunic
SG: Cotton* | Webster
SF: Travers | Blanchfield | Shervill
PF: Manek* | Wagstaff
C: Thomas* | Majok | Hayes-Brown

Good squad, NS pg? Or dp

Reply #896550 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

There is no question in terms of shot creation & guards when 2x of them are Bryce Cotton & C.Web lol

Reply #896554 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Two years ago

Two Larry Bird look alikes in one team ..

Reply #896555 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

At 2.06 he will be the cats 5. With Thomas at the 4. I like the fact he has a decent 3 point pullup , something like 40% clip. So a definitely an upgrade over last years centres at the cats and ignoring the monster over at Brisbane, most teams in the NBL are downgrading on height at the centre spot this season.

Main concern is bench depth if injuries kick in.

Reply #896557 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

I would have thought Thomas will be defending the 5s. He's shown he can do that.

Reply #896559 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Rillie's goal of versatility is demonstrated here with either being able to likely play the 4/5 for periods of the game.

Reply #896561 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

Love Manek! Played summer league with Charlotte, smart player, good hustle and good shot.

I think people will love him

Reply #896562 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Does it really matter who is listed at the 4 or 5 these days? Not sure it really means anything any more.

Reply #896563 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Frothing for the season tipoff let the games begin!

Reply #896564 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

Played five years of college. Not many guys do that.

Reply #896565 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

they wouldn't have elevated zunic if they didn't feel like he could do the job but doesn't stop getting a dp pg just not a next star

Reply #896566 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

AngusH - yes it does matter because this isn't position-less NBA where zone defence isn't played. Need someone to clog up the paint and be a rim protector.

Reply #896567 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Frothing for the season tipoff let the games begin!

I'm Rillie excited!

Reply #896568 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

watched a bit of the College finals and Manek did fine defending opposition bigs.

Reply #896569 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

LOL!

When I read rumours Trev might return I was glee son...

Reply #896570 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

"AngusH - yes it does matter because this isn't position-less NBA where zone defence isn't played. Need someone to clog up the paint and be a rim protector."

I'd argue that considering the small % of games where zone is played it basically is "positonless" even in the NBL, especially with the offenses that teams run a large percentage of the time. Having a big "clog the paint and protect the rim"... I mean, that sounds good in theory, but it rarely works that way. When you do play a zone, sure, ideally you want a big dude in the middle who can challenge shots, but it's just not cut and dry for a large percentage of the game.

Reply #896571 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Certainly looks fantastic, I believe this will be a very entertaining side, run and gun at every opportunity. Play quality D and cats will be up there.

Reply #896572 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Have there been any recent updates regarding Cotton's naturalisation? If it's going to happen, surely it must not be far off?

Reply #896573 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Angus - id argue that we play a lot more zone than you might be giving credit for... I hope to be wrong but personally I think the Cats needed more size, thought we would have fixed that from last season.

Reply #896575 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Can he Rillie coach?

If he can, this team's headed back to the playoffs and the Red Army will Rillie appreciate that

Reply #896579 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

You don't have to play zone to be able to take advantage of your big guy hanging out in the paint more on D.

Reply #896581 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Sydney has just hired a 211 centre, question will be whether height (sydney) or versality (cats) will work better in the 5.

Reply #896582 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

"Have there been any recent updates regarding Cotton's naturalisation? If it's going to happen, surely it must not be far off?"

Last month there were rumours that his Citizenship had been approved but no announcements. My guess is he had his formal interview/test and was approved and then just has to wait for a ceremony.

Nothing is official until the ceremony. This is usually handled by your local council. Mine does 6 per year.

For my wife, who had her interview and test at about the same time as those latest rumours about Cotton has been told it could take 8 months but that it may be possible to get the November intake.

I wouldnt be surprised if someone with some power can get him into an earlier ceremony, but if not you're looking at maybe Australia Day.

Reply #896583 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes that's the question, can Rillie coach, if yes this side is good barring injuries.

Sydney ran Cooks and Martin through the 5 last season, neither of them are monsters, seven footers got be mobile or like Qi get caught out defensively.

Reply #896586 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

They still have Majok to throw in if size becomes an issue, 210cms, but zone can help a lack of height as you clog up the middle.

Manek will be drawing his man out of the paint, as he is pretty deadly from 3

Reply #896588 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Majok Majok isn't 6'11" he's 6'9" (206 cm).

I know some sites including the NBL have him listed as 6'11" but he's probably fortunate to even be listed as 6'9", eye test suggests 6'8"/6'9", 6'11" guys stand out on NBL courts, Majok certainly doesn't he's a natural PF / undersized centre.

Reply #896589 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two years ago

Manek is a great signing and will definitely fit well into the Wildcats culture/system. Most of his tangible strengths have been mentioned but I think his greatest strength is his toughness which has undoubtedly stemmed from playing alongside Armando Bacot. Together they anchored UNC's interior all year and were the key reason the Tar Heels made it all the way to the tournament final against Kansas (both had double doubles). While it’s unlikely he will be an all NBL 1st teamer, Manek will be a great contributor, likely a John Mooney lite

Reply #896591 | Report this post

Frog39  
Two years ago

Loved watching him in college last year! Great signing.

Reply #896603 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

When I read rumours Trev might return I was glee son...

Morrison, Scott no friends in Perth.

Reply #896605 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

A few other charlotte fans on another forum were hoping he would sign there, that's how much he impressed them.

Reply #896694 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Good to see the new management bringing in two well credentialed imports, its almost unusual for the cats to see all of the imports for the start of the season looking as if they could be good for the whole season.

In previous years the cats ownership would cheap out on a Cookie Jnr , Dario Hunt type player that was never going to cut it from day one.

Reply #896723 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Yeah in previous years we've put together half-arsed rosters with no chance of getting anywhere

Reply #896730 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Lol ^^

Reply #896733 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

@Luuuc - we missed the finals last year ? You do remember ? With a team that did actually "not go anywhere" lol - short memory.

In the past we had to sack poor performing imports to actually make finals or win championships. Cotton , Plumlee classic examples brought in to turn failing season into success.

Reply #896742 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Budget signing for todays NBL.

Do not see Perth improving on last year, but who can really tell lol.

Really felt that thr 3rd import needed to be a proven star...

Reply #896761 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Also I don't understand where people are getting this idea Thomas and Manek aren't NBL centre size?

The wildcats have had multiple undersized centres over the years (Mooney, Knight, Majok) as have other teams...

Both Manek and Thomas can play centre in the NBL.

Reply #896762 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

They are undersized for centres in the NBL. Doesn't mean they can't play the position though.

Reply #896763 | Report this post

MD  
Two years ago

Probably worth noting both Manek and TT have wingspans around 7'2 inches and a standing reach of 9 feet.

Manek probably the bigger concern on the defensive side of the ball (going off his college career) but both have the necessary length (remembering defence is not played with the top of your head) to defend the rim in the NBL.

Manek will need to improve his lateral quickness, as both he and Majok are likely to be attacked in the PnR and thus may not spend a lot of time on the floor together.

Reply #896785 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

I think the issue is more that Manek is a SF/PF, how much C has he actually played?

Reply #896807 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

As I understand it Thomas will be playing the 5 and Manek at the 4. I don't know as a non-Perth fan I'm not sold on either of these two signings getting the Cats back into the playoffs. I think they've lost too much with the departures of Law & Hodgson.

Reply #896808 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Without Law's injury last year they made the playoffs. Not to mention the other key injuries they suffered. It won't take much improvement to get back to the playoffs. Thomas is a very good signing in terms of addressing their deficiencies.

Reply #896810 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Great recruiting by Perth on this selection

Reply #896970 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I'm tipping Perth to return to the playoffs

Cotton is the alpha Dog of the NBL and they've put a solid enough group around him.

My only query would be rebounding- Manek averaged 5.7 rebounds in 28 minutes in his college career, Thomas 6.2 and 6.6 in 28 mins in his previous 2 pro seasons

Majok and Travers are good rebounders, they should be alright

My other question is how well Webster fits alongside Cotton

But I reckon they'll work it out

Reply #896971 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

At this rate I feel like Sydney, Perth, SEM, Melbourne, Adelaide will end up with lists are legitimate top 4 contenders.

Brisbane, NZ, Hawks, Tassie with new imports are tough to gauge but I could see any of those doing what Hawks and Tassie have done last few years and legitimately surprised/contended.

Only really Cairns where you'd like and go....a bridge too far?

With that in mind, fairly happy for there to be a top 6 situation given the probable even-ness and anyone could beat anyone scenario that should reach 6 clubs at a minimum.

Reply #896979 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Early to gauge but other than swani I don't see to many quality defenders at hawks, I can see a big slide, Brisbane unknown but I don’t see to much improvement. Cairns will be better and NZ as well.
Sydney and Perth at this early stage. Can CJ get Sixers playing team D, will move up, possibly, if achieved.
Most seasons are won by the team that plays the best defensively.

Reply #896982 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Championships are won by teams who are good at both ends of the floor

United last season were one of the best defensive teams in NBL history but they only had two scorers. When one got injured they lost the Semi Final

Reply #896987 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

The United were not the best dens I've team in history. Some of the Damian Martin led teams of the tester years or the Magic with Darren Lucas were nightmarish

Reply #897017 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Note I said "one of"

Reply #897020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754