DreamShake
Two years ago

Tyler Johnson official signing with Bullets

https://nbl.com.au/news/bullets-add-exciting-import

The Brisbane Bullets have continued their roster transformation, announcing the signing of import guard Tyler Johnson.

Johnson's arrival comes just two days after the Bullets locked in Australian star Aron Baynes, as James Duncan’s team looks to bounce back from an eighth-placed finish last season.

With over 350 games in the NBA, 30-year-old Johnson played predominantly with the Miami Heat, but also had stints at the Phoenix Suns, Brooklyn Nets, San Antonio Spurs and Philadelphia 76ers.

He boasts a career-high 32-point haul during his time in Miami.

Duncan said the addition of Johnson filled a vital piece in the puzzle for the Bullets.

"(It’s) another exciting pickup with Tyler coming on board," he said.

“He brings so much to the table and his shooting, court vision and versatility will help our team tremendously. He has good instincts defensively and wants to compete.”

Bullets General Manager of Basketball Sam Mackinnon said Johnson would complement the experience of Nathan Sobey and Jason Cadee.

“We identified recruiting an American guard and to be able to sign someone of Tyler Johnson’s ability and pedigree ticks the box of our recruiting brief,” Mackinnon said.

“Adding Tyler to our back court of Sobey and Cadee gives us great flexibility and we add another playmaker. He can shoot the ball exceptionally well, creates for his teammates and many people have spoken about what a quality human being he is.”

Johnson, who spent time with Baynes at the Phoenix Suns, said he was excited to get started.

“After having a great conversation with JD (Duncan) and Sam, I was excited about the direction they are taking this team,” he said.

“I have heard so many good things about the NBL and want to be a part of growing this league.”

Johnson joins Aron Baynes, Nathan Sobey, Jason Cadee, Tyrrell Harrison, Tanner Krebs, DJ Mitchell, Harry Froling, Kody Stattmann, Gorjok Gak and development player Lual Diing on the Bullets’ roster for NBL23.

Topic #50306 | Report this topic

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Interesting. Strikes me as a pretty reasonable signing but doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm about it..

Reply #896658 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Sotto returning to Adelaide dwarfs everything else.

Reply #896661 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Hopefully a proper sf import and not pAtterson who still looks like he's binging on take out everyday.

Reply #896662 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Master Chief, you're right. I’ll be sceptical of this signing until Tyler gets on court and shows us what he can do. He fell out of favour in the NBA rather quickly after a promising start to his career, that’s a red flag for me. Let’s not forget the Bullets have been burnt by NBA experienced players previously.

What the team desperately needs is a true point guard who can steer the ship, something they’ve lacked for the last handful of years. Tyler’s signing seems duplicitous with Sobey already there - both can be referred to as combo guards capable of 'some’ playmaking but neither a reliable point guard really.

Reply #896664 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

What Brisbane need is the ability to defend and spread the floor. In Cadee, Sobey and Johnson they have PG more than covered.

Reply #896672 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Based on talent, Johnson could be the best player in the NBA next year, not sure what derailed his NBA career, but he's still pretty young and should be very exciting to watch. Bullets pulling out some big moves for this upcoming season.

Reply #896685 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Johnson averaged double figure points over a 4 or 5 year period in the NBA and as a FA I think got a $50 million contract from the Heat for him to bounce around/fall out of the league as quickly as he has suggests he probably won't dominate in the NBL. Screams attitude/work ethic issues.

Reply #896691 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

^^
Sounds like a few previous bullets imports.

Reply #896692 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Lol @ using NBA failure to predict NBL success

Reply #896695 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

It just struck me as a bit of a illogicality that other imports can be so highly praised without an NBA resume, but someone like Johnson who has some serious time in the NBA, doesn't seem to have generated much talk.

30 is still a baby these days. I'd say he would be one of the most high profile signings in the history of the league wouldn't he? Just in a straight forward way. I remember thinking the same when Aaron Brooks was signed by Illawarra and everyone seemed to think it was just a dud signing.

I would agree that there is a question mark over the motivation and attitude of ex NBA players historically who come to the NBL, but we can't really assume that will be the same with each individual.

But yeah, I don't think the league is that good or that big that a club should be overly fussy when an opportunity to get someone like Johnson presents itself.

It wasn't that long ago anyone who had anything to do with the NBA was considered a major coup for NBL clubs.

Reply #896696 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Smart basketball people - eg professional coaches - don't just look at whether they've played NBA or not, they look at their skillset, athletic traits, cultural track record etc and whether that fits their team.

If someone has been successful in the NBA recently they probably have skillset and athletic traits that will excel in the NBL. But if they haven't done that for a while, and not excelled in other quality leagues either, then there is a question mark until they produce on an NBL floor.

Reply #896697 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I think that means the same thing though. Playing in the best league in the world is likely to have all those things anyway.

There has been plenty of non NBA guys who have the same concerns so due diligence about culture fit etc should be consistent with any new import.

Only playing limited minutes on an NBA team after years of being a regular role player, is still a better resume than playing anywhere below that.

Just surprised at the lack of chat it generated and questioned why people questioned him.

Reply #896702 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Only playing limited minutes on an NBA team after years of being a regular role player, is still a better resume than playing anywhere below that."

Not really when it comes to being an NBL player. There have been non-NBA players who have been superstars here, and regular NBA players who have not done well here. Using 'NBA player' as a guide is a good talking point for casual fans, but that's about it.

Reply #896710 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Johnson got his big contract the year the NBA salary cap jumped and basically everyone got overpaid. While I think he was a solid NBA rotation guy, he was definitely overpaid

Reply #896711 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Bryce cotton fell out of the NBA, his NBL career is clearly doomed - hoops.com.au experts

Reply #896751 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Some players are in the right place at the right time for everything to go right for them, so why can't some players just be at the wrong place at the wrong time and just fall out of favour/forgotten?

Johnson made it to the NBA which you don't do without some sort of higher than average work ethic and talent. I've also never seen any reports of him being a bad teammate or doing anything wrong, but ppl here will bash him for it, smh.

Who knows, maybe it took a toll on him mentally and he decided the pressure was too much for his mental health and he decided to play in lesser leagues where he can enjoy playing the game again. The point is we don't know and I think he'll be one of the better imports in the NBL this year.

Reply #896894 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I think he'll be very good. The scoring combo guard style import tend to be ones that can find their way in our league. He is (was?) a good athlete, but by no means relied on that for his game.

Reply #896896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754