Isaac
Two years ago

Bill Russell dies at 88

Gold medal and captain (Melbourne, 1956)
11x NBA champ (in 13 seasons), inc 2x NBA champ as player coach
5x NBA MVP
12x NBA All Star
NBA All Star MVP
3x All NBA First Team
8x All NBA Second Team
NBA anniversary team: 25th, 35th, 50th, 75th
2x NCAA champ

Career average of 22.5 RPG (24.9 RPG over 165 playoff games).

Topic #50308 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Two years ago

Sad to hear such a legend of the game has passed on, Rest in Peace.

Reply #896713 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

RIP, more than a basketball player, all round great human.

Reply #896714 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

RIP

I knew a basketball coach who got involved with basketball after being inspired by Russell at the 56 Olympics

It's incredible to think he got 11 titles. Jordan got 6.

I know, different era, there were only 9 or 10 teams, etc.

But Russell's 21-0 record in championship games, eg deciding game 5's or 7's, NCAA, Olympic Gold games, is just mind boggling and I'd be interested to know who his competitors are for the title of greatest winner in the history of sport.

Reply #896715 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I think most people with similar (or anywhere close) titles will likely be from a similarly old time period. Off the top of my head I know Henri Richard has 11 titles in the NHL, again when there were far fewer teams.

Reply #896717 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

That guy played 24 seasons. Started at 15. Amazing. But only 5 of his Stanley Cups were won in seasons he played the All Star game.

An interesting fact about Russell is three times he won the MVP in a year he missed the All NBA 1st team. 1958, 1961 and 1962.

Reply #896721 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

It was "only" 20 seasons at NHL level though.

But yeah different sports obviously. NHL is less reliant on individual superstars than NBA

Reply #896722 | Report this post

chillbaby  
Two years ago

Sad day. If you ever get a chance there are a couple of biographies around. Incredible stories of racism and segregation in the early days of the NBA and right through the 60's. Not only a great player but a great human being. RIP

Reply #896776 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754