Ryan
Two years ago

Phoenix Sign Alan Williams

South East Melbourne Phoenix is pleased to announce the third and final import signing of ex-NBA centre Alan Williams to a one-year deal.

The 203cm big man grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, playing his college ball at UC Santa Barbara, where he finished his career as the team's all-time leading rebounder and second all-time leading scorer.

Known for his rebounding and world-class touch around the rim, Williams saw the opportunity to play in Australia as a great move for his career.

"I always heard that Australia was an amazing place to visit, and it happens to be a perfect and upcoming basketball league. I just found it a good opportunity to further my career and touch an area of the globe that I haven't been to yet. I'm excited," Williams said about the decision to sign with the Phoenix.

Topic #50330 | Report this topic

LV  
Two years ago

This looks a really strong signing, exactly what Phoenix needed

3 imports with solid pro experience, plus Creek and Broekhoff in the starting 5, and a bench with plenty of continuity with Te Rangi, Pineau and Adnam having been there several years

NBL shaping up to again have 5 or 6 legit title contenders this season out of 10 teams

Reply #897061 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Agree, really strong (literally) signing. If he can stay out of foul trouble with the way the game is called here, he should be amongst the best imports in the league.

Reply #897074 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

SOUTH EAST MELBOURNE

PG: Browne* | Adnam | Foxwell-dp

SG: Kell* | Madut

SF: Broekhoff | Te Rangi

PF: Creek | ?

C: Williams* | Pineau

2-3 players and DPs to go

Reply #897076 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Trey Kell - Scoring guard whose posted big numbers in Canada and ASEAN. Also played Poland and Bosnia. Last year was posting big numbers for a lowly Italian team (almost 20ppg over his last 5 games) then moved to Armani who play Euroleague and didn't get much time.

Gary Browne- Puerto Rican point guard who's played in Israel, Italy and Turkey.

Both these guys can really score. I think they'll thrive in Mitchell's system. Then Creek and Williams finishing inside, will make for a dangerous group.

Mitchell's results have been only mediocre over 3 seasons but, I prefer having 2 guards who can score (along with Adnam another), it's a better mix for Mitchell than last season having the two big imports (Ashley and Zhou) with Pinaeu wasted a little. Still need a back up 4 but I think the starting 5 looks pretty strong.

Reply #897078 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Sem are looking at a NS 4 man

Reply #897091 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

nah i don't think the next star is happening anymore it was the European who chose europe over nbl

Reply #897093 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Interesting signing imo, at 203 certainly not one of the tall guys, but I'm not convinced this is the missing piece. Sydney’s two centres are huge, United also.

Looking forward to preseason to get some sort judgment on all sides.

Reply #897143 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754