Boba Fett
Two years ago

Kings 3rd import - Tim Soares

The Kings made an announcement a week ago? about the signing of Tim Soares. Have I missed it here? Apologies if I have but here's the kink.

https://www.sydneykings.com/news/brazilian-big-man-tim-soares-signs-with-kings

Topic #50340 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Two years ago

It was mentioned in another thread somewhere. Definitely not a flashy signing - no NBA pedigree (or even NCAA, played NAIA ball), but done OK for himself in domestic Euro leagues as a stretch big. He's no Martin, but looks like he should be a solid starter.

Reply #897381 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Two years ago

Is that something that the Kings might be more interested in long term? It's great that as a team you can be a springboard for your players to go on to bigger and better things, but it's got to get old that you have to rebuild half the team nearly every season... If you can get good quality players that might stick around for longer, maybe have to replace a Jaylen Adams level player each season but keep and improve the core for a few seasons, I thought that might be more sustainable?

Reply #897410 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Wookie, I think that's the reality for most teams anyway, regardless if they're good or bad. I guess it's just the nature of basketball that retooling a team after success is common on the basis you are likely to lose the key players to bigger leagues, more money etc. But obviously in the same way, losing teams need to try and get better with more talent. Maybe the only example of building a team from the ground up, maintaining those core players and eventually reaching success was the NZ Breakers? But even then they obviously had to keep getting their import turnover right.

Also, not uncommon for a club to spend a bit less after going all in on a championship the previous season? Not sure if that's logical or not..

But I'd honestly find it refreshing to have a more culture based retention of core players becoming more common. Maybe Cairns know they need to try this?

Reply #897412 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Wildcats have won all those premierships with a very strong core, started by bevo and continued by Gleeson. Quality coaches can fit players into their game plans, Aaron Fearne was also successful even though he never won the big one.

Reply #897413 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Dunkman, You're spot on. How on earth did I forget that??

Reply #897414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754