Shano76
Two years ago

NBL trading cards back!

Brings back some memories. The old Stops and Futera days.
Will be fascinating to see what Topps come up with.

Topic #50343 | Report this topic

Pat Bev  
Two years ago

yeah as long as they charge stops and futera pack prices- better not be this jacked up USA pricing! will be interesting to see how well they do and if there is much of a market.

Reply #897362 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Yeah hopefully more like the AFL card pack prices. The USA scene has changed totally since I collected in the 90s, couldn't afford to nowadays!

Reply #897363 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

There's a nostalgic allure to trading cards but beyond that, I feel like they need to be reimagined to be relevant in this day and age.

How can they make trading cards more than something to gather dust?

How can they make trading cards interactive?

I was thinking they could give random giveaways to people who own rare cards, ie "if you have the gold Aron Baynes card, get a free family ticket to X Bullets game".

Could trading cards somehow be worked into the fantasy league, whereby to use a player you must own their card?

And that's the other side of the coin as well - making some cards rare. If it's easy to just buy your full set of Adelaide 36er cards then theyve immediately lost their value.

Trading cards is a good idea but I'd like to see them think outside of the box.

Reply #897367 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

I think trading cards in their current concept will be fine ME.

Interest in the hobby is still massive in Australia, and they'll have decent chase cards like player autos and jersey relics. Topps *should* do an excellent job at distributing a product accepted by most. At the very least, this iteration will be far better than the Stops/Futera products we saw in the 90s.

I appreciate the out-of-box thinking (no h8!), but the suggestions are too gimmicky, even though cards themselves are a gimmick themselves :)

Reply #897369 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two years ago

I still have all of my NBA cards from the 80s/90s as well as a smaller collection of NBL cards.

When I was younger, the NBL cards didn't have as much of an appeal as the NBA ones. Now that I am older, the NBL ones have more appeal to me.

Like my daughter and her animal crossing amiibo cards, I want to collect them all.

Reply #897385 | Report this post

Rod  
Two years ago

I'm pretty excited about this!

I reckon they'll be distributed through KMart and maybe Footlocker - current NBL sponsors etc MAYBE Coles who are NBL1 sponsors?

And from what i've heard they'll be doing a few different lines, the real cheap line for base cards, a higher end line with numbered cards, autos and relics and then a middle base line with some autos, inserts and throwback type cards.

Really exciting for me as i've never stopped collecting cards, tragically so...

Reply #897391 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

skgskjglskjglsdjglsdjgls

Take my money! :D

Reply #897394 | Report this post

Baller  
Two years ago

There's definitely a market for them amongst teens as long as they make them affordable. What I would love to see is a one on one type magazine brought back

Reply #897594 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Two years ago

Still really excited to see what they do with these, but cautious not to get any expectations as it IS the NBL and they like to have good ideas and then cock it all up with lazy and not thought out execution... Hopefully Topps being involved really improves that part of it...

I've still got my old NBA (and possibly NBL) cards somewhere and only just found the folder of the cards I made myself for a couple of seasons maybe 10yrs or so ago when I could take my camera to games (& had better access to players to get them signed) and used my own shots and did in the old '92 Upper Deck and Fleer ultra Premium styles, and I was thinking about doing them again, so this will save me a lot of time...

Reply #897720 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I remember your cards - are they still viewable online somewhere? Also you created Lego?

Reply #897723 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Two years ago

I don't think I posted them online anywhere but they occassionally pop up on my facebook memories... Was always good to have something different for players to sign after games, especially when we could catch up with visiting players at the SEC and was always cool when the players got a kick out of it... Still sticks in my memory players like Rusty Hinder and CJ Bruton in their last games before retiring and having them be chuffed that all those games and never had a card done of them before...

Still doing the Lego figures, yup (@customlegofigau) and gearing up for I think our 6th season of doing them "properly"

Reply #897809 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

https://www.instagram.com/customlegofigau/

Those are awesome. Well done!

Reply #897815 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Two years ago

cheers! It's a bit of fun, but really great to see the interest and being able to do some for players with their past/current teams is pretty fun... Players mums were my biggest customers in the first couple of seasons lol

Reply #897816 | Report this post

Krammis76  
Two years ago

So looking forward to these! Will relive my childhood collecting again. :). About 5 or 6 years ago i found my old nbl cards and found an insert that had Ricky "Rainman" Jones from the Townsville suns and so i found him on facebook and asked if he wanted the card. So I ended up posting it to him. He was so happy to get it. Loved watching him get up and catch those ally oops back in the day!

Reply #897985 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754