Pretty good squad actually. Though I don't know Toohey and Hawke

Reply #897472 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

They are from the Coe

Reply #897473 | Report this post

Rod  
Two years ago

and theyre both VERY good! Toohey has some major colleges chasing him at. Both have possible NBA potential

Reply #897474 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Hawke & Toohey ... gives me 80s vibes

Reply #897475 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

I think you will find Toohey (number 2) and Hawke (number 3) are considered the best young players in the country (behind Proctor at number 1)

Reply #897476 | Report this post

Aussie  
Two years ago

What time will the Bahrain game be televised on ESPN in Australia?

Reply #897477 | Report this post

Peter  
Two years ago

Always good to give top young players a game for senior team as locks them in long term and introduces them to the culture.

This could have been in a practice game but I don't know the 2 players, who may reverse the spot

Reply #897480 | Report this post

Peter  
Two years ago

*deserve

Reply #897481 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I much prefer sending guys like Hawke and Toohey than an Adnam or something. If you cant have your best picks go for development where you can. I've seen a bit of Hawke and the guy is a bucket.

Reply #897482 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Two years ago

How many people had to knock back a spot for Mudronja to make the team?

Reply #897483 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Not a bad team at all. I think it is great to expose all these younger and fringe national team players to the boomers.
They are being introduced to a great culture and building for the future. We are never going to have our A team for all the qualifying series so it is great development. Both players and coaching staff.

Reply #897489 | Report this post

Cake  
Two years ago

Toohey is a beast. No idea if his frame will hold up at senior level right now but he could be very special.

Reply #897494 | Report this post

Toddy  
Two years ago

Hawke is good and only about 18 years old. Frankston were looking at each like how do we stop this bloke?

Reply #897504 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Great to see DJ given a shot. Outside of Patty Mills we've had a real shortage of volume scorers, and there's potential for him to shine for the Boomers even with all the NBA guys in our Olympics/World Cup A-lister squad I feel.

Reply #897524 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Michael Frazier II is suiting up for the US team

Reply #897538 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah in the past, Aussie teams relied heavily on shooters plus an elite big or two. Now we've got undeniably more talent than ever, but completely different skillsets.

DJ is a guy I'd like to see included in squads regardless of whoever else is around.

Reply #897539 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

We have the exact opposite make up to what we used to. It used to be we had maybe one good point guard, the rest were scrubs, we had shooters and a couple of good big men. Now we have a factory line of great point guards, few shooters, more wings than you can poke a stick at, and very few good big men.

DJ definitely presents as a possible Boomers A team player. Moving forward Patty will need help and what else have we really got? Wait on a naturalized Cotton and lose Thybulle for it? Keep sending Goulding out a bit longer?

Rory Hawke is an interesting prospect in that area at least. Yeah, he's 18, a few years away, but the guy has a scorer's mentality.

Reply #897540 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Next window squad

Kyle Adnam, Todd Blanchfield, Ryan Broekhoff, Alexander Condon, Akoldah Bak, Chris Goulding, Daniel Grida, Ben Henshall, Isaac Humphries, Jordan Hunter, Nick Kay, Mitch McCarron, Jack McVeigh, Alex Mudronja, Mitch Norton, Nathan Sobey, Wani Swaka Lo Buluk, Alex Toohey, Luke Travers, Rhys Vague, Rocco Zikarsky

Reply #912163 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Pg Mccarron-Adnam-Norton-Mudronja
Sg Goulding-Sobey-Buluk-Henshall
Sf Travers-Blanchfield-Broekhoff-Grida
Pf Kay-Mcveigh-Vague-Toohey
C Humphries-Hunter-Gak-Zikarsky-Condon

Reply #912164 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Sidenote- South Sudan roster has lots of south Sudanese Australians.

Dhieu Abwok, Lual Acuil*, Deng Acuoth*, Deng Aguer Bar, James Chudier Bile, Sunday Dech*, Majok Deng*, Makuag Gabriel, Mareng Gatkuoth, Jok Kacuol, Mayan Kiir*, Kuany Ngor Kuany*, Nyok Kur Kuath, Bul Kuol*, Anyarbany Makoi*, Emmanuel Malou*, Mauot Mathiang Muo*, Nuni Omot, Deng Junior Ring*, Marial Shayok, Padiet Wang, Nyang Wek.

Reply #912165 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/australia-indigenous-voice-to-parliament-patty-mills/101967138

After Gaze, the best ever.

Reply #912169 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

As this is a dead rubber with little to gain, we might as well throw our best kids at them to give them international experience and retain just enough experience on the squad to make the wins likely.

Goulding, Sobey, Kay, Broekhoff, McVeigh, Humphries pick themselves. I throw up in my mouth a little saying it but... uggh... okay, take McCarron.

That leaves 6 spots for the best up-and-comers available. Give Zikarsky a singlet. Toohey too. Outside of the top 6 players listed, anyone else who makes the team needs to have potential future Boomers potential or it's a waste of a spot (ie, why would we really bother with Rhys Vague in a series like this?).

I didnt mention Travers, and he probably makes the team, but can we admit to ourselves yet the kid is overrated? I cant see him making the Boomers A team any time in the near or distant future. I am honestly more intrigued by other prospects.

Reply #912172 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Travers might end up being one of those guys that is better as a glue guy at a higher level rather than being a star at a lower level. You'd like to see him be more consistent at NBL level though

Reply #912173 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Well I wouldn't want to write him off but I dont see him being in the next 2 Boomers major tournaments given all the other talent at his position. I also dont think he's an NBA player.

In other news has Mitch Creek done his dash with the Boomers?

Reply #912176 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Creek. Think so, too much bs surrounding him.

As for travers, asia cups and WC/Olympic qualifiers is his ceiling. Not the 2 majors.

Reply #912177 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Travers has international basketballer written all over him with his ability to contribute in a role at both ends. If he can keep hitting the three at a high rate he'll definitely push hard for a spot.

Reply #912179 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I agree with ME, let's have youngsters but some experience to guide the youngsters.

I think we should consider future boomers Asia cup squads of qualifiers for when things get a bit rougher. I think that’s where Travers fits in. He wont be in the Olympics or WCs in all probability but he might be a Boomer vet from an Asia tourney standpoint.

Using weedyslugs outline of position structure and assuming 12 makes a team:

Pg Mccarron-Mudronja
Sg Sobey-Goulding
Sf Travers-Grida
Pf Kay-Mcveigh-Toohey
C Humphries-Hunter-Zikarsky

Who are Henshall/Condon? Any brief info on them?

If the likes of proctor, hawke, Toohey etc nominated, I’d have tried to include them.

Reply #912181 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Shame we couldn't get Bul Kuol...

Reply #912246 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Travers is 21

Mitch creek played a pretty valuable role for the boomers a couple major tournaments ago, played a few NBA games also, and was nominated for MVP, Travers has a higher ceiling!

Reply #912247 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

WMW should be in, been fantastic.

Reply #912248 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

alex mudronja gets more minutes playing for the boomers then the hawks.

Reply #912253 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

You can count out anyone playing in the NBL finals, such as WMW.

Reply #912257 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Goulding is a maybe.

Reply #912258 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Nathan Sobey
Nick Kay
Rhys Vague
Alex Toohey
Mitch McCarron
Nick Marshall
Mason Peatling
Isaac Humphries
Kyle Adnam
Dan Grida
Todd Blanchfield
Mitch Norton

Via Newscorp.

Reply #912264 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Ket

Henshall is a 6'5 SG out of wa
Condon is a 6’11 C out if wa

Both are playing at u20 ajcs.

Condon headed to florida in the ncaa

Reply #912265 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"Nathan Sobey
Nick Kay
Rhys Vague
Alex Toohey
Mitch McCarron
Nick Marshall
Mason Peatling
Isaac Humphries
Kyle Adnam
Dan Grida
Todd Blanchfield
Mitch Norton

Via Newscorp."

There is almopst no Boomers upside to this team outside of Nick Kay and like a tiny chance of Isaac Humphries and Alex Toohey. They didnt bother to use the opportunity to blood Zikarsky nor the other young guns. It's a dissapointment. Of all the times to blood young players this would be it. Now we're probably going to try to do it in meaningful games

Reply #912272 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

With vickerman taking over, he probably wants to assure a win. Would look pretty bad if we lost. He was once touted as the potential next boomers coach. I'm not sure many would agree with that these days...

Reply #912273 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The fact he's supplanted Bevo suggests Vickerman probably will be the next Boomers coach.

Reply #912274 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

It's a very very average team, Kay excluded and maybe Humphries who has shown some form but inconsistent and injury prone.

Reply #912275 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Which numpty country are we beating up on this time?

Reply #912278 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Bahrain and Kazakhstan.

Reply #912343 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754