Anonymous
Years ago

Junior Programs - home/away imbalance

I see that more and more programs are being updated on Sporting Pulse.

On checking our fixtures for the year we have 4 home games and 14 away games. I know we are only div 2's but this seems a little imbalanced and just adds to the cost and time commitments of parents.

Is this common?

Topic #5059 | Report this topic

old fella  
Years ago

I've been involved with three sons playing in BASA competion over about 10 years. Yes it is common. One season the team had only one game at home. I would presume that with a competition as vast as BASA, the programing would be done on computer modelling. Therefore you get these sought of imbalances and things like north vs centrals at Morphett Vale, because the computer is not able to discern the finer points.

Reply #58168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get used to it the team i am in didnt have any home games for about 7 years

Reply #58170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is difficult to build club spirit when you are never at home on game nights. In the example above one club has all bar 2 games at home; 4 others have 11/12.

I understand that it is done by computer modelling but that model is only as good as the person who has developed the model and set parameters. In this example four of the "away" games are on nights when the stadium is free from Div 1 commitments but the away stadium/team is hosting Div 1 games.

Makes it difficult for parents and perhaps coaches to get to the mostly 6:00 games at away stadiums - you can only use up so many "favours" from your boss.

Reply #58172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh and by the way anon 58170 can I correct you on your statement "get used to it". I don't have to get used to it if I don't want to. It is simply another element in the decision making process of whether or not I continue with basketball. Everyone has choices!

Reply #58175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh to play or not to play.

oh can i pick my own time slots

oh can i have my own day,

oh and i will bring my own referee,

Your one team in over 400 teams nominated for the season, someone some where is always going to miss out.As each club doesnt really have club rooms to accomodate that club spirit like football home /away games, it is just another thing to whinge about.Isnt it just about playing the game.
I am starting to think that basketball in SA is just full of whingers.

Maybe tennis is more your thing.

Reply #58187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite many parents telling their kid's school teachers at interview times that you don't need to worry abour my "Johnny" being a bit thick he will become a professional basketballer or footballer, this seldom happens. I would guess that in SA less than 1 person born in any calendar year will make a living from basketball. The number in football is higher but the odds are still stacked against an individual due to the participation rate.

So the question is why go to all the expense and trouble of playing for a District Club:
- better standard of basketball (at higher Div levels yes but ? Div 3/4/5)
- better coaching (see above response)
- Social/club environment

It is not about simply whinging for the sake of whinging but it is about marketing the product and giving the "consumer" what they want. I believe that part of this offering is being part of a club rather than playing for a club.

While I accept that there will always be some degree of inequality, for the pre-eminent basketball association in SA to not be able to close the gap between 16 home games and 4 home games is unacceptable. For a person not to have played at home for 7 years is unacceptable. For one person to only have one home game in a season is unacceptable. It can be improved and unless people voice there displeasure change and improvement will not occur.

So you might call this whinging but may I suggest you go and play tennis as you obviously place no value of being part of a club.

Reply #58199 | Report this post

Kate  
Years ago

I notice the 36ers are playing Fri 2nd Dec and the other games are scheduled for Sat3rd Dec. Does this mean the teams that normally go to the Pirie Carnival cant go???

Reply #58288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why are west and mavs 16/1s still playing on friday 2nd of dec when the 36ers are playing all other teams have been moved, this makes thing hard as we normaly go to the 6ers games

Reply #58358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unless your playing at starplex every week get over it doesnt matter where u play u should be able to win anywhere if u r good enough so stop complaining and play some ball.

Reply #58400 | Report this post

kimbo  
Years ago

hey watz up who iz anonymous and what club do u play for

Reply #66609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i play at starplex every week, but i play for centrals SNAP and im lovin it!!!

Reply #66782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep, i play mostly at wayville or portadelaide and plays for the eagles.

mainly 8:30pm

i h8 going to port adelaide

it sucks

Reply #66798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754