kb
Years ago

Funny SUNDAY'S PICK-UP GAMES AT WAYVILLE 6-8PM

it's come to my attention that some haters (clubs/presidents) do not support "KB'S SUMMER PICK-UP GAMES". well you're definitely entitled to your opinions.......but so am I! and to assist me, here's a favorite quote from clark gable's movie, "GONE WITH THE WIND". "FRANKLY MY DEAR, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!!" this is not about clubs, presidents, or revenue. if you don't want YOUR players to play that's cool. these games are about guys who simply want to play some basketball outside of the social league scene. guys like myself, looking to compete, stay in a little shape, burn off some calories (pasta to be exact) and have some fun. however many ballers show up, than we'll hoop it up until the word spreads and the numbers increase, e.g. 2 on 2, 3 on 3 (half court), etc., etc. you see haters, the GAME can survive without clubs, presidents, board members, staff members, coaches, managers, trainers, and revenue because that's how it began. that's the "BEAUTY" of the game. all you need is/are a/some willing participant(s), a ball of some sort, (basketball, volleyball, tennis ball, balled up paper, coke can) and a basket (rim, bin, cup, sink, circle with your arms or like my first basket; a bicycle tire rim nailed to a pecan tree at just the right height where i could imulate my heroes. POWER TO THE PICK-UP!!!

Topic #5087 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Well put KB. I'm glad to see you are so passionate about the game. It's what is needed here in SA.

Keep up the awesome work bro.

Might see you at one of the pick up games.

Reply #58482 | Report this post

Mo'bags  
Years ago

That's real disappointing to hear some people are not fans of the pick ups, but I also wonder how many of them played pick up when they were younger and really UNDERSTAND the enjoyment and learning that happens on the court too.

Reply #58487 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

KB - lower the ring height to 9'10" and I'll make the 500km trip!

Reply #58490 | Report this post

muzza  
Years ago

What clubs are against it and what's their big gripe?

Reply #58520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They'd rather extend junior comps into that time. Reasonable gripe, but first-in + something new in basketball for once IMO.

Reply #58522 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

doh!!! sorry fellows, emulate is with an (e) not an (i). it's a good thing i can "pick-up".

Reply #58561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would encourage players to go. Running up and down and playing is great. This is offseason. Or is this the start of Australien "AAU" basketball that is blamed for the decline in skill base in the USA.

Reply #58596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kb = good man. No great man. great intentions. Just a very bad idea.

Reply #58621 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

how can playing additional basketball be bad. Practice makes perfect and if this continues it means that ballers have a chance to play against quality opposition every week, ofcourse that expands the game in SA.

I think alot of our kids our so concerned about getting 5 star coaching and 5 star facilities that they forget that to be the best you need to put in the hours on the training court. stop worrying about politics and just get out on the court and play

Reply #58687 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

to anon #58596 & 58621. i hear ya, possibly even feel ya. but if i may, is the decline in skill base, in the USA, AUSTRALIA and/or WHEREEVER, due to the "AAU" and/or "PICK-UP GAMES" or is it due to an excessive amount of UNQUALIFIED, EGOTISTICAL coaches not knowing what the !#@% they are doing and therefore screwing up our kids. these pick-up games are not for everyone......but then again, they are. NEVERTHELESS, I FEEL AS THOUGH I SHOULD REPEAT MYSELF.....AGAIN! these pick-up games are not meant to be a challenge to BASA or any & all of their affiliates. they're not meant to take money out of BASA'S pockets. they're not meant to or are going to hurt your kids in any way. tell me, how do you get your exercise? is pick-up basketball any different from...lets say, digging a few holes on the golf course, the way some of you guys "hook" & "slice" the ball, pick-up is definitely a safer option. how about going to the gym to work on your "perv", oops, i mean cardio. or how about just having an early morning walk with your wife/children. remember dudes, every adult needs at least 30 minutes of exercise per day. us pick-ups, well, we simply get our weekly recommended dosage on sundays from 6-8pm at wayville. POWER TO THE PICK-UP!!!

Reply #58775 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754