Rowers anonymous
Years ago

Letter from female rower

I hope this letter can help clear some of the confusion surrounding the tragedy that occurred when Sally Robbins stopped rowing mid race in the Olympic Final of the Women's Eight on Sunday 22 August.

I retired from competitive rowing after six years on the Australian Team, having won a Silver Medal at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games in the women's pair, and a silver medal in the Women's Eight at the World Rowing Championships in 2002. The crew I raced with in 2002 contained most of the amazing women whose dream was snatched from them in Athens on Sunday; Sally Robbins was not one of those women.

In 2002 Sally Robbins was a member of what was arguably the best Australian Women's Quad Scull ever put on the water. In the final of the 2002 World Championship Quad Scull Race, Australia was blitzing the race, leading the entire field all the way - it was as about as sure a thing as you could get to having the World Title 'in the bag', when, with approximately 400metres to go, Sally Robbins stopped rowing. The Australian crew dropped back and finished in fourth position. Sally's three teammates were understandably shocked, devastated and in consolable: not at all dissimilar to the sickening re-enactment I witnessed on Sunday. It is no surprise that the members of that Women's Quad did not row with Sally Robbins again.

The volume of training the Australian Women's Eight has undertaken in preparation for Sunday's race is super human. Prior to Athens the team spent five weeks in high altitude training at St Moritz, training for up to seven hours per day. As an ex-athlete who has completed the St Moritz camp in the past, I can assure you that this sort of training produces super fit racing machines. I know first hand exactly how exhausted you get in a rowing race, and let me tell you, the thought of stopping is very tempting when you are burning up in pain, and under the extreme pressure that international competition produces. I have never, ever seen anyone at an elite level stop rowing except for Sally Robbins, twice, under extreme pressure and in extreme pain, both times costing her crewmates medals at the highest level. The fact this has occurred numerous times in her career is criminal.

If Sundays display by Sally were the first time she had acted in such a way, you would have seen a very different reaction by her crewmates. Sally's crewmates in the Women's Eight had overcame their doubts about her 2002 performance, and given her their trust. What the public witnessed after Sunday's race was the crew's devastating realization that this trust had been misplaced in what should have been one of the greatest moments in their lives.

What happened on Sunday, and previously in 2002 is no different than one of our Australian swimmers stopping swimming mid race in the Olympic Relay Final. There is no doubt in my mind that Sally Robbins quitting on Sunday was a repeat display of complete mental weakness, not 'physical exhaustion' as the media is reporting. I am so sorry for my great mates who were in that boat, who have each made enormous personal sacrifice, not to mention their families, the tireless support team of physios, doctors, coaches, sport scientists etc. It would appear what was lacking from this team was a sports psychologist. The question of why Sally Robbins was selected onto the Australian Team after her display in 2002 needs to be raised with the decision makers of Rowing Australia.

Rachael Taylor

Topic #515 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

"The question of why Sally Robbins was selected onto the Australian Team after her display in 2002 needs to be raised with the decision makers of Rowing Australia."

Summed up perfectly with your last sentence...

Reply #4452 | Report this post

Rowers anonymous  
Years ago

BTW I should mention it was not Taylor that actually posted this to the forum. It was forwarded to me on an email with the following:

> > Hi All
> >
> > I have attached the letter that I today am sending out to all of the
> > newspapers in Australia. You may find it interesting. Please try
> > and spread the facts so that my mates in Athens are not painted to
> > be the villans here. I would appreciate it if you could forward
> > this email to anyone who may be intersted, or is looking for the
> > truth.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Rach Taylor

Reply #4454 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Regardless of what happened out there, the reports of what was said and threats towards her well being is unacceptable from athletes at that level. Full blame must rest with the selection committee and coaches that could not identify her apparent "mental weakness".

Reply #4483 | Report this post

TommyJR  
Years ago

I personally am disgusted at her perfrmance but i did some digging and found this report from the 2002 World Champs in Seville - interesting read as it contradicts what is said by Miss Taylor

http://www.rowingaustralia.com.au/seniors_resultswch4.htm#one

"Women's Quad Scull: 4TH - Donna Martin, Dana Faletic, Sally Robbins, Amber Bradley

The AUS quad has done well this year, they had good World Cup in Munich winning a silver medal and we were 4th in this event last year so hopefully a medal this year. GER dominated this event for many years but the UKR have not been beaten this season. AUS had a pretty good start getting away with the field. UKR hit the lead early from BLR but we were in 3rd, a good position at 500 gone. GER were 4th. The next 500 AUS put the hard strokes in ane were now up challenging UKR. We held 2nd ahead of GER and BLR in a very tight race - you could have thrown a blanket over the field anybody can win. AUS really spent themselves in the 3rd 500 and hit the lead by nearly a second, GER were 2nd and UKR third. This was a magic race, AUS were really working but that quick pace in the middle was starting to show and GER went through to lead. Meanwhile DEN and BLR were really sprinting to the line. We were trying desperately to stay with them, all six boats were within a length with the finish closing. AUS 4th across the line a photo finish. It is GER, Den, BLR, AUS 4th. Good row regardless by Aus they really put all in.
"

Reply #4487 | Report this post

beatrice  
Years ago

MW, you couldn't have summed it up better!

Reply #4490 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes, reports that "Australia were in emdals contention" in either the 2002 race, or the Athens race are VERY wrong.

They were already in 6th when Sally collapsed the other day, and were NOT in medals contention in 2002 either.

I dont know how many of you have experienced lactic acid build up....but it is damn painful at a "normal" level when you push yourself..imagine what they must put themselves through.

I think what Sally did was the best option, pull her out, and stop rowing.

Better than try and keep going, and go against the stroke of the boat, referred to as "catching a crab" which can stop the boat dead in the water.

I feel sorry for Sally, I can appreciate what her team mates must be feeling..but their reactions were uncalled for.

Reply #4628 | Report this post

x-factor  
Years ago

What are you talking about yogee. Seriously mate, no one posts more stuf on this forum that is wrong than you do. Whenever you state that something did, or is going to happen, you are wrong.....every time almost, and you are wrong again here. They were in 3rd place and just a wisker out of second when sally stopped rowing. She is weak and sellfish and I would never have her on any team of mine.

Was listening to one of the awesome foursome speak about it last night....he said that there are only 2 rules in rowing 1, you do not stop rowing and 2, you do not bag your teammates.....all eight of these girls are guilty of one of these, but 7 of them wouldn't have broken a rule if one of them just kept rowing. I feel sorry for Sally for having to go through the whole letting your team down thing(for the second time), it can't be easy to deal with, but she has certainly brought it on herself. she needs to take her mediciene and deal with it, as all high level sports people do when they stuff up. Good luck to her trying to find someone else to row with......she's gonna need it.

Reply #4659 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

This all about expressing opinions, not facts. There is no right or wrong answer to this incident so I think it is a bit unfair to label Yogee's comments as "wrong".

Reply #4669 | Report this post

Solid gold  
Years ago

MW the facts are that Australia was sitting 3rd at the Olympics when she stopped rowing not 6th. So Yogees is indeed wrong. I am not questioning his opinion.

Reply #4684 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

It depends on your sources...I have heard different senarios from each of channel 7, SBS and the radio!

Reply #4685 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

From the footage I saw they were extremly close to 3rd place, but looked to be in 4th when she stopped rowing.

As for the 2002 incident I always thought they were in 1st place when she stopped rowing!

How does Sally stop rowing compare to the many other athletes that have pulled out in the middle of an event. I know most of these are individual so they don't effect a 'team' but it is the same conditions that seems to be knocking alot of athletes around.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #4749 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, it is hard being on a forum with all these perfect people.

I guess all you ball players have never EVER given up the fast break chase, especially when you know your going to get dunked on, or never committed the delibarate hacking foul to stop a shot going up.

It is amazing how many people seem to have been at the OLympics and Rowing comps in 2002 who have seen these events for themselves, myself, stuck in a job to pay the bills has had to reply on media reports.

And even they cant get it right, so it's time for a few of you to pull your heads in and get back in your boxes!!

x-factor, I actually have posted a LOT of information on here, and most of it is correct, because I get MOST of it from Basketball Australia, or the NBL communications manager.

Some of the stuff that Isaac puts up during the day comes from me, as I am at work with no net access, and I feel something is of enough value to go up sooner than the 6/7 pm I get home.

Yes, I get it wrong some times. Unfortunately, it is part of working in media, sometimes the sources can be a bit off song, or plain get something wrong.

Considering I had called Farley to the 6ers 2 months before it was even rumoured anywhere else, and also called Rees coming back before he was released from Brisbane, maybe I get the info that MATTERS correct.

Apologies can be posted on this thread.

Reply #4750 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

hehehe - nice come back yogee

I for one hit this site (now the 6er site has seemingly become a ghost town) so I can keep up with the latest from people such as Isaac, double Clutch and your good self (plus many others)
Even when your info isnt exactly on song it at least gives us all something to think about

Keep up the good work :)

Reply #4761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mm

Reply #22613 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Oh oh, another one's escaped from Glenside. Best let the Advertiser know. We're looking for someone anonymous who simply utters "mm" when asked about their identity.

Reply #22625 | Report this post

dfgsfg  
Years ago

leave her alone....

she competed at a level most of you proborbally could never achieve

Reply #177272 | Report this post

miro  
Years ago

rachael taylor
it is correct that you worry about robbins. i am a trained (but not practicing) psychologist. my job is brain research. i know a bit about personality disorders and it seems to me ms robbins qualifies for diagnosis as narcissistic personality disorder. my worse suspicions (i do admit these are completely unsubstantiated, but the program introduced by 'wilco' on australia's abc network made me think this) are that sally has used sexual manipulation to avoid being 'outed'. i thought at first that it was her coach (scott volkers experience?)or her manager who was sleeping with her, but now I think that coatesy was knocking her off. look at the current stoush with alan jones, gay radio icon and sometimes truthteller. also coates was the only person with anough power to veto everyone's valid opposition to sally being included after the debacle in seville. as i say, i'm not ashamed of my suspicions, its just the personal opinion of one unemployed psychologist. TRUTH WILL OUT

Reply #194046 | Report this post

Raiders1  
Years ago

Peer pressure is the highest motivator in sports
In individual sports its the other competitors. In a team sport its your Teammates that are your true motivators. The coach is 2nd in this formula. If after all the training to make the team and to make the boat didn't form a bond among these women rowers then they too are at fault. The coach can judge on technique, erg scores, endurance/strength ratings, but only the team can form a bond within the boat that would be greater then any pain that could be felt in a race. Was Sally an outsider when it came to boat dynamics. Was she truly not just a great oarswomen but also during training a great teammate, with shared feeling, fears, dreams! Because if you don't have a bond of unity and chemistry you will fail no matter how personally great the sum of each oarsperson is. Sally did not lack the skill of an Olympic rower but she did lack the bond of giving everything no matter what not just for a medal or her coach, but to the most important thing team peer pressure. I WILL NOT STOP BECAUSE OF "YOU", BECAUSE OF "OUR" BOAT. She just never built that trust/bond/passion for them, so now they should look through their pain and ask WHY?

Reply #350032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:06 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754