panthers22
Years ago

this year's up and comers...

anyone got any thoughts on who might 'make their mark' in the ABL this season based on summer play or improvement? my early candidate is Agel from South (big African dude), who looks set to hurt a lot of people with flashing elbows (already tasted a couple myself). Others i can think of are Zane Reeves from Woodville, who was very impressive last Sunday night and ryan fran from north, who with the older guys departing should get his chance to show what he can really do this year.
Other's thoughts?

Topic #5151 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

here are my thoughts.

- Haven't seen the south guy.
- Woodville proclaimed reeves as the one to watch last season, only for him to ride the pine all year.
- Fran-cheesy, been around for a while, about time he either stepped up or he'll find himself with the unwanted nickname Jason Williams.

Personally, i'd rather wait til the money end of the summer season, before predicting ABL season moves. Libertine got caught making that mistake last year.

Haha, it still makes me laugh, his prediction of Norwood mens abl team to finish top... hahaha

Reply #58954 | Report this post

panthers22  
Years ago

top of the scrap heap

Reply #58974 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

lol I humbly ate my words with that one - mind you go back and read I didn't tip them for the title, I tipped them to among a pack of three or four who would dominate.

Although nobody tipped Woodville for the title.

Youngsters to make their mark this season? How about some of the Academy kids with all the extra training?

The West boys will probably be up there starting or pushing the starters. Dan Lalic looks ready to have a breakout year.

Reply #58975 | Report this post

WOW  
Years ago

Zane Reeves to have a great year and then he's headed to the states to play college hoops. And i hear Ryan Meakin is thinking of rejoining Wilson, Pudds and the youngsters at Woodville.

Reply #58980 | Report this post

panthers22  
Years ago

Meaks might be back? Be good to see him around. I think the call on Dan Lilac is spot on, but in my opinion a lot of the academy guys aren't quite ready yet, with some notable exceptions such as Bungey, McKenzie, Gange etc. And West look real good, we got spanked by them a couple of weeks ago and they were really quite awesome for this stage of the season.. they seem to have a good crop of youngsters coming thru.

Reply #58981 | Report this post

WOW  
Years ago

Yeah i heard Meaks was going to try get back for this season. Hopefully he can stay injury free which didnt help him at all the last few seasons he played.

Reply #58983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just on the Acadamey, from last year who were the players who went on to improved ABL seasons? Not counting established players like Hambour and Geralach.

Reply #58986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan Dodman is playing Div 1 tonight and if he gets time during the year should do very well for sturt

Reply #58989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youre basing the fact that Reeves will have a big year on a pickup 3 on 3 match? Good one :rolleyes:

I don't think Lalic will ever break out, he doesn't have a great shot on him, if he's stronger than his opponent he'll always do well, but if he isn't he doesn't have the speed or the brains to score (and he is an offensive player)

I pick Spud from west to have a good year. That is, if he gets some court time.

Reply #58995 | Report this post

Anon (#58995), I don't agree with you in regards to Lalic. He's a very solid big man who is extremely effective in getting cheap points under the basket.

Have to agree with the West youngsters having a breakout year, only because they hardly got to play last season!! Craddock, Mencel, Spudavechia and maybe even Molitor and Zacharjak to all get solid minutes. From what i have seen they gel pretty good with the older guys as well.

It will be tough for Greiger to fit them all in with a glut and guards and small forwards as they have Pearce, Phillips, and Evans who all play similar positions to their young guns.

My money is also on the North boys to make an impression. Little Kies and Little Burdon and Rowe to get more court time with the seniors retiring.

Also like the look of some others youngsters, namely Bungey (minus the attitude) and Boal. Unfortunately, I think Gange will struggle to get as much court time as last season worth the addition of Arnold, but he can score 20 on any team on any given night.

Probably the best thing about this thread is that nearly all the players mentioned will be playing reserves so we'll get to see them head to head with extended minutes.

Reply #59008 | Report this post

AI  
Years ago

Acadamy players tom rowe, zane reeves and matt gange will do well this season. Even though Gange will compete for minutes with Arnold. Also i think the Norwood youngsters will do well, Max Papendieck and scott Lampshire. Both have been good in the preseason.

Reply #59023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is panther22? I gather its someone who wears 22 for south but i do not know who this is...any help

Reply #59059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is panther22? I gather its someone who wears 22 for south but i do not know who this is...any help

Reply #59060 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

Look for Joe Mencil to have a breakout year.

Reply #59062 | Report this post

Agel was with woodville 2 or 3 seasons ago

HE DID NOT ROLL UP FOR TRAINING AND WAS CUT

everyone was excited but it was eventful as a razorbacks crowd

Reply #59065 | Report this post

Bosco  
Years ago

Tom Rowe would win a most improved this year if the award was around, as for new comers out North 16 yr old that goes by the name Chief is doing great things in summer aba. Another is Phil Brown down at Southern, with the team very thin on talent, he should get pleanty of opportunity and work quite well with snake.

Reply #59072 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

I think the general feeling is that if Phil Brown doesnt learn to pass the ball, Gerlach wont score half as much as last season.

I know i'm not alone in this assessment.

Reply #59163 | Report this post

S.A  
Years ago

what about matt elder for woodville

Reply #67049 | Report this post

Tree  
Years ago

Meaks told me he won't be back this season. He will be working in the country. I think all of the young guys at Woodville are able to step up and show the other teams what they are made of. I got to see them everyday in training and some of the young Warriors are going to surprise people.

Reply #68631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754