Jazzy Jeff
Years ago

Woeful umpiring

What standard is umpiring at ABA-level going to plummet to before BASA actually does something about it?
BASA is happy to put out its hand for $9.50 from every player, and umpires are willing to pop that little pay packet in their top pocket, but who is going to take responsibility for woeful umpiring?
Last night was a joke across the board.
As a player, I'm questioning whether to play summer season next year because of the poor level of umpiring, and I would say there's a few other players out there that would follow suit.
What does it take to get a decent ref?

Topic #5159 | Report this topic

retired ref  
Years ago

decent pay would bring me back. Knowing much much the players pay, in contrast to how little our pay increase was, was disheartening.

Reply #59086 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Would bad umpiring really make you quit the sport you love though?

How many bad calls a game do you think you get called for or your team gets called for....no, how many bad calls a game get called average?

Reply #59090 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

The referees pay increase certainly is not a reflection of how much extra BASA make with increased fees and insurance cuts.
I saw a ref trying to warn some spectators for heckling during a Senior game at Pasadena recently, only to have his refereeing partner come over and laugh with the spectators at the ref. If a policy is being implemented, the refs need to support each other and gain credibility from players by enforcing it

Reply #59096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good refs aren't in it for the money.

Reply #59099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The disrespect shown by some players and coaches during summer league doesn't encourage many "good referees" to referee. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of players and coaches that respect the referee or two on their game if they are of higher quality, but unfortunately the minority of "bad eggs" ruin it for everyone else.

So this may sound harsh, but I think it is fair comment: These few players and coaches in the league should take a good look at themselves and raise their professionalism and I'm sure the level of refereeing will increase with it.

Reply #59104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The disrespect shown by some players and coaches during summer league doesn't encourage many "good referees" to referee. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of players and coaches that respect the referee or two on their game if they are of higher quality, but unfortunately the minority of "bad eggs" ruin it for everyone else.

So this may sound harsh, but I think it is fair comment: These few players and coaches in the league should take a good look at themselves and raise their professionalism and I'm sure the level of refereeing will increase with it.

Reply #59105 | Report this post

Crazy  
Years ago

I didn't play last night, but watching at Port Adelaide I thought the umps were better than normal. It looks like they have been using more of the Aba ref's this summer than in the past.

Maybe the new umpires boss has told some they have to umpire these games???

Reply #59124 | Report this post

I had excellent refs last night. I had 3 for some reason. Best refs ever!

Reply #59129 | Report this post

we lost by 30 though :(

Reply #59130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Adelaide umpires are terribe

Reply #59138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny, so is the behaviour of the North Coaches.

Reply #59152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw Happy Gilmore spit at a ref at Hillcrest one night over one call....end of the game...his North team was up by 50 points....nearly wrapped his golf club around the refs neck...get real Happy

Reply #59153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree the standard is terrible and definately makes you not want to play - each week you walk out feeling highly frustrated and angry.

Reply #59240 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Guys the problem is that the previous two Referee's coaches did not look after the referee's.

Hence a lot of the old and experienced ref's like Tarmo, Donna Miller, and Robert Hooper are not around anymore.
Even Guys like Tristan, Daniel (Noddy) Hebeich, and Micheal Dyson aren't around (due to work reason) therefore the current referee's coach has no other chioce but to rush guys like Alex Jordan, Joel Ekers, Matthew Coombe into these senior positions.

And for that reason we all suffer on the court.

Reply #59268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think ive ever played a game where i have been ecstatic about the level of umpiring....it will be up and down week to week and you have to accept it and just focus on what you can do in the game even when they are making dumb calls.
you should try to adjust your game to what the refs are calling on a particular night and you should be fine....if however the ref is bad enough to to call whatever he may be calling consistently then i have no advice for anyone but to remind yourself that referees are inferior beings.

Reply #59417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ooops *in
inconsistently

Reply #59418 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The other night after a player dived for a loose ball the floor was all wet and I asked for a towel. Of course a bench full of players didn't have a towel to help out. so I asked the players to pitch in with their shoes and dry the floor.

One of the players complained because he has to pay to play and therefore the refs should dry the floor and the rest of the players thought this he was right so we get back on with the game

When the ball was put back into play this guy cuts baseline and goes crashing to the floor boards because he slipped on the wet floor :)

Reply #61171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players and coaches walk around thinking they have the god damn given right to say what they want when they want... IT'S WRONG.

And its funny, because everyone's opinion about who is a good ref and a bad ref is pretty scattered.

As a ref, you can be someones best friend, even on court... but as soon as you make a call on these players these days, those players become your worst enemy.

Who's responsible, the league and everyone in it that thinks a coach can ring up someone and demand that they don't have a particular referee call their game anymore, or a player that has the right to tell a referee to f*** off when told to leave a stadium for a good reason and then turns around and says... I only said it because I was caught in the emotion of the game too much and that must be considered.

PEOPLE GET BLOODY REAL.
Referee's are humans - and its a hard bloody job.

Funny, those that winge at refs the most are the ones that back down when given the opportunity to put a whistle in their mouth and show us how its done.

Sure, there are times when a ref is wrong.... I tell you what... the average error rate on most games from any one official is generally 3-6 calls (or non-calls). The average error rate from players, is generally 3-6 (turnovers alone)..then think of the dumb move to the hoop that gets in the way of the isolated player or the, or the guy that forgets the offence, or the guy that forgets that the defence is extended after a score.

PEOPLE - EVERYONE GET OVER IT.
NO ONE PERSON HAS THE GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO SAY ANYONE IS THE LESSER EVIL.

SO MOVE ON!!!
FOCUS ON WHAT YOU CAN DO TO MAKE OUR SPORTING COMMUNITY BETTER...
and maybe we will get refs back, and maybe we will get the decent players back that have left for football. Maybe we will get better administrators and sponsors etc etc.

Its all about the environment we build.

IF WE BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!!!
:-) :-) :-)

THINK BEFORE YOU ACT AT YOUR NEXT GAME - and do it for the good of your game!

Reply #61571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey refs, players, coaches and parents ALL need to have a good look at themselves....

Reply #61579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754