zapruder
Years ago

2 for 1 Ticket Offer to 36ers games

Has anyone else seen the 'blue dot' 2 for 1 ticket vouchers in shops around the city&I have hundreds if anyone wants one!

Anybody know how many were produced because, even at $15 per head, they must represent a fair cost to the sport  they have no terms governing their use, other than they are not valid for finals, they are available at all other games etc.

Do we all think they are a good idea?

Are attendances at home games now so low that we really need to go back to 'papering the house' like the good old days?

Cricket used to do this with their $1 Sundays  all it seemed to do was revalue the face value of a ticket, and not up, and it didn't drag in crowd numbers that the sport could sustain over time!

I just can't see that proliferating 'cheap tickets' to the market under the guise of marketing is a sustainable strategy for basketball?

I also just can't see why we need to 'discount our sport'  or is that we really think that tickets to 36ers games are simply too expensive?

What am I missing here?

Topic #5182 | Report this topic

jt  
Years ago

Who are you zap? I've read all your posts and all you seem to do on this forum is plant negative seeds about the club and employees! Can't you for once acknowledge the many positives and iniatives that have been introduced to the 36ers this season rather than constantly complaining?

Reply #59261 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Agreed, who are you zapruder?

disgruntled former employee?

hopeful employee?

hopeful owner?

your comments and questions are very particular and always seem geared at management and not about the sport itself.

Reply #59262 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Well said! We constantly read on this forum about empty seats and inaction from BASA. Now when they show initiative by trying to attract more people to the Dome, they get shitcanned. How about some pro-active ideas?

Reply #59263 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

great idea to introduce new ppl to the game

has the potential to have a good spin on effect for following season with season tickets, and also bring back a full house atmosphere.

good positive move i say

Reply #59265 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Wow Zap.

You just got your s*%t smacked back into the 5th row! Maybe take your words of advice to someone who cares.

Reply #59267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zap,

You have a good point. Why buy a season ticket now when you can get tickets at half price?

Reply #59269 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

location, 2 for 1 are not courtside

Reply #59271 | Report this post

zapruder  
Years ago

JT

Not so! None have been deliberately critical of the Club or BASA employees&

Simply attempting to provoke some debate on fundamental issues affecting club and sport e.g. the club being sold, free tickets

Kent

How do you separate the sport from the management of it when it comes to the best interests of the 36ers?

Hanging Around

Proactive?

+ The sport needs to generate more revenue to support more mainstream advertising  the 36ers need to be more top of mind to 'find' new supporters

+ Don't give away 'free tickets'  people don't value them  e.g. they won't come back and they won't pay your prices if you condition them that things will be cheaper  look at the retail market

+ Consider lowering game day ticket prices across the board  e.g. if price is a barrier then respond to the market and remove it

+ Work to program matches better to suit the crowd - has this ever been surveyed?  e.g. don't play home games Wednesday night  which night do you prefer to go?

+Continue to improve the facilities and experience at the Dome  e.g. the new big screen is great, entertainment is better etc.

Jumpshot

I hope you are kidding - just because nobody answered the questions put?

Who would you suggest does or should care?

Reply #59275 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Last season I knew a lot of people at work and uni who didn't go to games due to price.

This season I offer the 2 for 1 ticket; say they can go for $7.50. Everyone I have given tickets out to goes, everyone who goes to the door ends up buying more expensive tickets anyway to get closer to the game and everyone who has gone has gone again, mostly without the discount.

No one I gave tickets went saying "$7.50, that devalues the sport to me, I'll only go if the price is $25". Stupid, stupid argument.

Zapruder, you seem to be making the argument ex-members of management used to make about de-valuing the sport. Fact is crowds are up this year with season ticket memberships down which is a fantastic achievement. I'm sure a lot of people who are going with the 2 for 1 ticket will happily fork out for season tickets to sit closer to the court next year.

Seems to me Zapruder may be a disgruntled employee angry that the club is making progress against his ideology.

Reply #59278 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Just to stop some confusion, my above post was posted same time as Zapruder.

Reply #59279 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Pretty simple 2 people at $7.50 is better than no people at $20.

Not to mention car parking revenue food sales, potential merchandise plus 2 more people hopefully spreading the word about how good the night is.

Reply #59284 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

or is that we really think that tickets to 36ers games are simply too expensive?
Zapruder, wow, where have you been...?

Anyway, I nominate Double Clutch for a grassroots marketing award. I passed on a wad of 2-for-1s for him to distribute at work, stadiums and wherever. He burned through those, so I got onto Potsie and he passed on a few hundred more.

Last year without the tiered pricing or any cheaper option besides the website-tied $15 tickets, the crowds were pretty unimpressive and the atmosphere wasn't as good.

This year, they haven't been back to the old sell-outs, but a few games have been pretty decent and you can see that the potential is there to improve for non-Wednesday-night, non-Fox, non-up-against-the-soccer games.

I think the 2-for-1s are a bit weird looking, but if they improve the crowd numbers, I'm all for them. I have only heard people talk positively about them.

Someone I had along to a game as a guest recently was excited about getting a 2-for-1 for the next game (without it, they wouldn't have come) until I told them about DC getting 320 of them. Haha.

Reply #59285 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Don't you have work to do zap. The Festival's on in March!

Reply #59291 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I know 3 people who had never been to a game before. They got a whole heap of 2 for 1 vouchers at school, and have been to just about every game this year and love it.

Its a great idea.

Reply #59294 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Haha. Hopefully this thread should keep me out of trouble with current board members for 6 months.

But really take away the Weds games and the one against the soccer and attendances are close to 5,500 consistently. With the early start this year it's been impressive. Hopefully in December crowds climb over 6,000.

Reply #59332 | Report this post

Crooked  
Years ago

How come I don't know about these 2 for 1 tickets, i've been going to venuetix each week and paying $54 for 2 tickets.......How can I get a hold of some?

Reply #59335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At local basketball stadiums, I believe they are only for walk up tickets.

Reply #59337 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

If you're buying tickets for the $27 section they are generally sold out before you get to the door. Against New Zealand I know at 12pm the best seats that were available were back row of the south western corner below the concourse, and that game didn't have a high attendance.

Basically if you don't want to sit in the top half of the concourse it's best to still book at venue-tix for a Saturday night game.

Reply #59350 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Zap has some valid points where I believe that lower ticket prices accross the board would be better - to reward those that have supported the franchise.
The 2for1's are also good in that initiative is being shown to get the numbers up. As I mentioned in another post ages ago I have converted a few friends to the game by taking them albeit back in the good ol' days when atmosphere was unbeatable.

At least something is being tried.

Reply #59367 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

i have to say that i havent been to a sixers game in a long time mainly due to the distance to travel, but now that the tickets would be half price its starting to seem worth it, all you need are for people to go along to a few games and for them to see how good it is and theyll keep going, who knows, you could get a handfull of new members.....

Reply #59461 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Whilst the 2 for 1 is a great idea (and Isaac, if I had some in my taxi I am sure I could equal DC's effort!!) it DOES devalue the members tickets. Memebers are paying ever increasing fees, yet are seeing people who dont get membership constantly being rewarded with cheap game access.

Hopefully the new management will look at some ideas we have discussed on here before, such as loyalty schemes for members, free upgrades for long standing members, early bird renewal benefits etc

Reply #59473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:20 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754