warthog
Years ago

Classic Paul Rees

Great stuff from the big fella:

ADELAIDE's four-time National Basletball League championship-winning centre Paul Rees has no angst over an incident in which Melbourne rival Chris Anstey threw the ball in his face.

"To be honest , haven't paid much attention to it because I've taken bigger hits from my three-year-old, Kelsey," Rees said last night.

Anstey threw the ball in Rees's face on an inbounds pass during the first half of the 36ers' 103-115 loss to the Tigers at The Cage on November 12.

"At the point when it happened, I thought the game was still there for us to win so I didn't see the point in jumping up and acting like a crazy person," Rees said.

"I was hoping he'd get kicked out (of the game).

"But in the end, the umpires were reluctant to even give him an unsportsmanlike foul."

Anstey insisted after the game that the pass "was not deliberate", then later said it was "for Wheeler", as if avenging some great wrong for an obscure incident three years prior.

In that clash, Rees clumsily fell across Brett Wheeler's leg at a time when Wheeler and Anstey were Titans teammates.

"Chris hasn't won any friends in my family," Rees said.

"He was a bit childish but I don't want to get into name-calling - I don't think it does anyone any credit.

"It has riled up my family members.

"My Auntie Prue in New South Wales and my Great Auntie Len, who is 89, was upset Chris was having a shot at me in the Herald Sun in Melbourne.

"My mum rang up saying he'd called me the biggest cheap-shot artist in the league. Looking at the bright side, it's brought us together as a family."

Topic #5238 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Auntie Prue has been known to read Hoops SA too, so welcome to your 15 minutes Prue!

Reply #59860 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

New squad memebr for Fella's rematch with Sydney - Kelsey Rees???

Reply #59861 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

hehehe, just been looking for dirt on Anstey. Found this on his profile on his website. Didnt take up basketball until he was 17 but played for australia when he was 11.

"Since taking up basketball at 17 years of age, Chris Anstey has become one of Australia's most travelled basketball players. He has represented Australia since 1986, competing in a World Championships and an Olympic Games, and winning gold in the 22 and Under World Championships."

Reply #59879 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Paul (I know you read this) - some of the funniest material you've come up with in a long time.

As many people have told me - waste your time on people that matter and idiots like Chris Anstey don't ..... matter, that is.

Reply #59927 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:57 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754