where will sturt put ......

where will Sturt put all their outstanding junior girls over the next 10 years?

ie the bowleys, dametto, marino etc - all have 8-10 years of ABL in them yet

can they run 2 reserves womens teams? they will probably have to think that way - as sturt will have the talent pool

most clubs are running good u18 players in their senior programme - where will mcphail, langford, konnokias etc go? - then the next generation u16s / 14s

can you play ABL for another team - but still play u18 or u21s at Sturt

I believe some woodville abl players - did still play lower div with fliders uni

Topic #5245 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you will find those juniors will be overseas soon.

Reply #59957 | Report this post

so emma and jess go and play college - they will still have a log jam of potential reserves / abl players over the next 5-8 years.

can they nominate 2 senior reserves teams if the need arises?

Reply #59959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you should also note that sturt were only running 8 players for most of the ABL season. There is plenty of room for the up and coming players

Reply #59973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt will be OK. They are the only club that does not recruit over their juniors.

Considering that they had only 9 for ABA last year they have spots. And a lot of their players will be heading over to college.

Either that our Eastern will be getting some more players for their teams again.

Reply #59980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Sturt don't recruit over their juniors that they "recruited" from other clubs

Reply #59992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting Anon - you seem to have a bit of a "chip" re Sturt.
Let's have a look over their ABA team from finals:

Monique Bowley
Hannah Bowley
Brigid Bowley
Sonia Dametto
Angela Marino
Jane Summerton
Sara Chapple
Kate Jolly
Anna Chapple

Which of these players played juniors for another club and were "recurited" (as you put it) to Sturt? I'm fairly sure that this is a purely home-grown team (if not completely than a vast majority). I wonder if any other ABA team (men or women) could claim this? Can your team Anon? I'd doubt it.

Reply #59996 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HM 'RECRUITS' IN U18.1 TEAM

Reply #59997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

Which of those players are recruits other than Hargraves?

Other than the country kid they have all played since U/14's.

Reply #59998 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

AND PRIOR TO U14

Reply #59999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love a good Sturt bash. It's almost as entertaining as the Centrals bash or the good old fashioned South vs Southern flame off!

Reply #60001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They moved from clubs who only have 1 player in their senior team that is from the clubs juniors program.

To me that would be a smart move by the family.

Reply #60005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 60005,

I now see the light:

Junior not confident that his/her ability is of a level that demands him/her being played in that club's ABA team moves to Sturt where it is easier to get a game thereby also implying that the Sturt juniors developed from day 1 are also not good enough to hold their position in front of "recruits"

Though I must acknowledge the efforts of developing from grass roots all their last season U14 boys into the best team in OZ!

Reply #60008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you think it's EASIER to get a game at Sturt?

When the ABA team/players listed appeared to have played that ALL their juniors for Sturt? When the club appeared to prefer to run all Sturt players and be short of the max 10 players rather than pick up a recruit from somewhere?

Recruiting "prior to U14"? Who from Sturt's U12 girls were "recruited"?

Reply #60011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't we gone of topic. The thread is what wil happen to these girls as they move into seniors.

Well Sturt have had a string of strong junior girls teams since the mid 1990s when their Under 14s won the Nationals. Since then there has not been one weak junior group. Granted the current junior teams are very strong.

Over that time these players have gone into seniors and some are still there (eg Sonia Dametto), some played a while and moved on to other clubs or other interests (eg Hayley Meter, Lori Childs). Kylie Newbold was a little before this group but played over 10 years before moving on to Fville.

When they moved on there was always someone to replace them (eg Bowleys, Chapple, Jolley etc). I am sure that when some of the senior players retire then others will step up.

While all this has been happening some have gone to the States (eg Katrina Lindner, Katie Langford) or interstate (Angela Marino).

The process that has been happening will continue to happen. There will be a turnover of players, the odd import (eg Jess Mahony, Deanna Smith), more and more will get a college education and strong junior groups will keep coming through.

Reply #60014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 600008

I guess that they see that no matter how much they improve they will not get a change in Senior anyway, becasue most clubs recruit at senior level rather than develop. Which is probably due to their club not putting in the work at Junior level.

The fact that the vast majority of the senior team are not 'junior recruits' show that Sturt are able to develop their own juniors. Also that the majority of players coming through the program are sturt juniors from day 1 show that this is continuing.

I guess that some families feel that giving their child the best opportunity to develop to their full potential lies at Sturt. And considering how they have developed I guess you might be able to ask them if they feel it has been worth it.

Reply #60015 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

you have lost the thread

Reply #60017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 60015

Care to inflame the basketball community more by naming clubs - a bit too broad a statement in my mind. These seniors must have been developed somewhere!

Reply #60021 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

until a transfer fee system is in place the stronger clubs will continue to bolster their junior programs with 'recruits' if they are detecting a weaker age group

Reply #60027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

Until weaker clubs start doing something with their junior programs. Rather than using their fee's as an ABA payment system. Parents will leave for greener pastures.

Reply #60031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't you just love subjective arguments and people not prepared to provide factual information.

As mentioned before it was stated that the majority of the clubs do not develop their juniors. This might be a bit difficult for some to answer so I will rephrase it. Given that there is a minority of clubs which develop their juniors ie 4 or less clubs please name these clubs and I will be able to tell everyone the clubs you don't think develop their juniors.

Then, for those clubs, we can see what juniors have come through their system to play for their seniors or for other senior teams. I can't see Sturt supplying most of the senior players in the state...some other clubs have developed players too.

Please respond . .we want to be factual here!!

Reply #60036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Define development!
Is it developing skills?
Is it allowing the pushy parent a say?
Is it that the team hasnt quite got it but you go out and "recruit" what that team needs?
Its working well at Sturt on their boys side of the program.....the last 3 years they havent fielded a competative under 20's div 1 side.
I think this speaks volumes.

Reply #60044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Start another thread, but it will turn into a pissing contest! This thread is not about who developed who!

Reply #60045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to the topic -

are these young girls currently demolishing teams in reserves that would warrant two reserves teams?

Reply #60046 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

When speaking at seniors, you also need to look at Forestville, they are going to have a major problem.

Jenni Screen, Cherie Smith, Narelle Lindsay, Dee Ranford and a 5th player (I cant recall who right now) will all be restricted players for the ABA season. They need to lose 3...who will it be?

Reply #60051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the upper levels of the junior girls program there are few new skilled entrants to the sport. If a development manager detects a weakness in a div 1 team he is inclined to poach a suitable player from an opposing team to shore up a problem. The most accesible players are those from the weaker clubs for not only are they being lured by a stronger club they are probably a bit tired of losing matches. All the energy that has been expended by the weaker club in trying to develop players to produce winning teams is immediately lost. The weak get weaker and the strong stronger. For this reason it seems reasonable to restrict this movement between clubs if we are to have a truly competitive competition. The transfer fee system will protect the weaker clubs from exploitation by the stronger clubs. Teams will then need to get stronger through internal development rather than through player transfers.

Reply #60055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And we will have players leave the sport to go and do something else because they ae unhappy where they are and aren't allowed to move.

Reply #60056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

marino prob wont even play for sturt anymore so there is one spot open

Reply #60057 | Report this post

wnba fan  
Years ago

laura summerton will be away again.

but the question was - can they have 2 reserves teams if good enough?

and can they play juniors at sturt ie u18 or 21s and play abl elsewhere if sturt's abl team is full?

Reply #60062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's answer that when they are good enough. Based on current Div 1 and Div 2 results that is still a way off.

Reply #60065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To stop all the sturtys from being shirty....just let them have their way and have multiple ABL teams, reserve teams, Div 1 teams for gods sake...then all of their "recruits" will be catered for

Reply #60087 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Anon's, all you are idiots.

Don't air your dirty laundry in a public forum. It's make you look like you have no idea about the game. No one responded to the Forestville question re their "recruits"? Why would you play juniors there when you will only be replaced by a recruit from another club when you reach senior level. Every team does it. Some clubs are more attractive for players to move across to. But Sturt are no orphan in this area.

Reply #60105 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

To answer the question can they play juniors for one club and ABL for another is yes, as Brad Hill did this. Both clubs would have to agree.

Reply #60191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What team in New Zealand in Slick Rick Castle coaching?Has anyone have his email?

Reply #61763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think he's coaching the JAFA's isnt he?

Reply #61788 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754