Anonymous
Years ago

poaching of junior girl players

poaching of junior girl players ...... (#60055)

At the upper levels of the junior girls program there are few new skilled entrants to the sport. If a development manager detects a weakness in a div 1 team he is inclined to poach a suitable player from an opposing team to shore up a problem. The most accesible players are those from the weaker clubs for not only are they being lured by a stronger club they are probably a bit tired of losing matches. All the energy that has been expended by the weaker club in trying to develop players to produce winning teams is immediately lost. The weak get weaker and the strong stronger. For this reason it seems reasonable to restrict this movement between clubs if we are to have a truly competitive competition. The transfer fee system will protect the weaker clubs from exploitation by the stronger clubs. Teams will then need to get stronger through internal development rather than through player transfers.

Anonymous, 24/11/05

Topic #5263 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you read the BASA by-laws, poaching actaully involves a State Coach having a player from the age group they are coaching come to the club they are coaching at.Exactly how many players are we talking about here. I can't think of 1.

But let's staop little Jenny from moving clubs if she wants.

So sure, but how about we put it in place for all Senior and Junior Basketball.

Each time a player moves club they have a $ value put on them.

ie
U/12 $100
U/14 $150
U/16 $200
U/18 $250
U/20 $300
Senior $400

Then we can add on other things like

SASI squad player $100 per year.
State team member $100 per year.
Senior Team member $100 per year.

And if a player moves clubs a second time. The first club gets a percentage of the transfer fee that they third club pay's the second club.
ie 5 years at club 1. 2 years at club 2. 5/7th to club 1 2/7th to club 2.

I wonder how much the weaker would lose having to recruit for their ABA teams.

Should this include players who are div 3 and below?

Or maybe these players moving have a genuine reason for changing and that if they were satisfied at the club they are at they wouldn't move in the first place.

Reply #60071 | Report this post

BASA Bagwan  
Years ago

let them shift if they want to - most of the time with "juniors' it is the parents rather than the player.
Most clubs have the same problems.
We shifted from a weaker club to a stronger and wondered why we wasted our time at a "smaller" club - even playing div 1 at thsi club.
Poaching is blatant at times - i see nothing wrong with clubs trying to attract players - but not in a sneaky manner.

there should be an 'approach' period for 2-3 weeks between seasons and hands off during - similar to ABL

Reply #60079 | Report this post

Groundhog Day  
Years ago

Just waiting for this to turn into another long post about one (of the better) club. Perhaps we can make a section for that. Give a prize to the person who can come up with the best name for the new section.

Reply #60084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's easy:
TEESA
(The Evil Empire Strikes Again)

Reply #60107 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

Anon 60107 you win on the name comp!

Reply #60109 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

why would we bother putting a fee in place, it would just be an easy way out for the lower clubs, if clubs want to get stronger they should start developing there players from u/10's u/12's people keep saying that people are leaving lower clubs because they are sick of losing but if the clubs put in the effort at the younger ages there teams wouldn't be losing all the time therefore they won't get sick of losing because they won't be. so maybe clubs should get there act together instead of getting on here and bitching because people are leaving them!!!!

Reply #60122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you are a nutter

Reply #60123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agee nutter,

all clubs start from scratch at U/10 level. But some clubs teams are uncompetitive by U/12's. So I suppose you are going to blame that on the Evil Empire. Rather than look at the poor coaching that those players get.

Reply #60127 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

excuse my ignorance, whos the evil empire?? sturt, forrestville??

Reply #60145 | Report this post

Groundhog Day  
Years ago

Sturt & Centrals, they are the reason for every problem that occurs with junior BBALL. The top & the bottom clubs cause all the problems. Sturt weaken the comp by taking all the good players and Centrals weaken the comp by losing all their players. Before you all jump up and down I not being serious.

Reply #60148 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

I completely concur with your name, Groundhog Day. I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels that this type of crap has all been done before and to no end. And quite frankly is getting really boring!

People and Clubs are not going to change their practices simply becuase a few people on here have a bitch.

Reply #60153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its simple really the cream floats to the top and when you analyse that the clubs play a very small part in it

Reply #60158 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Ok let me start by saying I have no experience in junior basketball, or club basketball at any level.

I can see both sides of this arguement.

Team X is a perennial under acheiver, always sits at the bottom of the ladder for most age and div levels.

Player H is a decent player, probably best on the team that keeps losing. He sees Club Y is having all this success at Under 16's, so he transfers clubs. Now...what happens to all that potential development and talent?? People say the under acheiving clubs need to develop their own players...they are...but then these players leave for "greener pastures"...leaving the "lower" club with the same problem they started with.

I'm not generally one for restriction of trade, but there needs to be some sort of restriction on player movement. How this can be done I dont know. If a player has a genuine reason for needing to change clubs (parents moved, work commitments etc) fair enough...otherwise they need to be restricted.

Yes, I can also see the point of a kid whos playing for Club X that isnt performing too well, and cannt change clubs to be part fo a winning culture, so gives up on basketball completely.

I think it's a circular arguement in a lot of ways, and someone with a lot better brain than mine should be able to come up with an answer, apart from that lame line of recruit a better coach, because it is not always the coaching, nor is the coaching the only issue.

Reply #60162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re yogee,

then is the answer to restrict the the free movement of div 1 players only

Reply #60188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The answer again is Promotion/Relegation. If it is implemented teams will be playing in equal competition.

Therefore if a good player is in a team which only qualifies for div 2. They will need to play at their best to win each week.

It would be possible then to have 2 types of restrictions.

1/ Limit the number of players allowed to play div 1 at a club to 5 per year.

2/ If a player moves from a club. Only allow them to play in the same division that they have moved from. So if a kid plays in a div 2 team at club x and want's to move to club y then they are only allowed to play in their div 2 team for the remainder of that year.

This will stop clubs from using their position in the competition to attract players into their club.

Reply #60227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all well and good to improve the Club situations but what about the player, and their own improvement. Must they stay with club if they are unhappy. I thought you played sport to enjoy. Sometimes you make you own destiny. why should it be that you must play at a club. Players grow at diferent rates and the club that suited them may not now eg it is full with guards or a simular situation. I thought we were a Freedom of choice Country. Make the clubs and coaching good enough and players will stay if not let them go where they feel they can do better. Everyone stop taking it personally that some one wants to move on.

Reply #60242 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754