bozza
Years ago

The Problem With The NBL is .............

On My Soap Box

Did anyone hear the annoucement about Liu playing in the All-Star Game and everyone is so happy as this is going to help promoting the NBL in Asia? Rick Burton and the NSW Premier are patting selves on the back like the have solved world hunger.

In opinion - why are bothering with all this effort, time and and money trying to promote the NBL in Asia?

We have enough problems at home here in Australia with little/no publicity and small crowd attendence.

Don't get me wrong - I think trying to increasing our borders to include teams like New Zealand (if only the could win more games) is a fantastic idea and adds interest and flavour to our league, but we need to fix the problems on our shores first.

Shouldn't the NBL be focusing on getting FTA TV - or getting Foxtel to provide more decent coverage - or getting some better variety of commentators.

So onto my big idea of what the NBL should be doing --- both the AFL and the NBL are under attack from the rising popularity of Soccer - so lets join forces - we could work together and make sister clubs and cross promote each other - one the summer sport, the other the winter sport.

For starters - we could have ticket discounts - for example your are a Crows or Port Member - shouw your ticket, and get half price enterance and vice versa.

This could also extend to things like the Fox Footy channel - It is riduclous that we have to fight for time with every sport known to man on Fox Sports, when there is a 24/7 channel dedicated to AFL playing repeats of games from years past that only a handful of people watch - surely we can broker a deal with Foxtel and the AFL to get some more games played on this channel - I know this is not free to air, but imagine been able to see 6 games a week, or a decent highlight package from all games.

Well that's my 2 cents for now - I have plenty of other ideas - but lets start the ball rolling

Topic #5294 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely some new commentators, like some Adelaide ones! I'm sick to death of Carfino and his no-knowledge, biased dribble he spits from his mouth.

Reply #60320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe the thinking is that Asian teams will bring in sponsorship and money that can then be used to solve a few of the problems the NBL has here?

Reply #60321 | Report this post

BRUCE265  
Years ago

I agree with Boza. We urgently need NBL back on FTA TV. Without this we will never see the NBL back in the glory boom days from mid 80's to mid 90's. A real opportunity exists for NBL to be back on FTA TV in 2007 for two reasons. 1)Is the anticipated success of the Men's and Womens national teams in the 2006 commonwealth games. 2)Which ever TV station misses out on next years AFL rights biiding war, will have serious dollars to play with. Surely the limited dollars the NBL receives from Foxtel for the TV rights is only chump change compared to what the FTA channels are willing to pay for the AFL. If one of the FTA channels were appraoched by the NBL board with the corrcet marketing strategy and a 3-4 year offer, there is plenty of scope for the NBL to be turned around and restored it to former glory days.

Reply #60323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think FTA is coming anytime soon, why would you when some games are only getting 2000 people (or less) to a game.

The NBL needs to increase crowd numbers for every game before anything else (including going to Asia) is considered.

Reply #60324 | Report this post

winedrinker  
Years ago

Abosultely no dis-respect to the WNBL as I am a big follower of the WNBL and the NBL but how does the WBNBL get coverage on ABC and not the NBL

Reply #60326 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Whatever can be done to get the money in can only be a good thing, as long as the money is then put into developing and promoting to the younger audience. I agree that FTA will not happen while the crowds are so low. It is a catch 22 tho, because most certainly more TV exposure would bring the popularity of the game back up. Possibly need one of the stations to take a risk. im not hopeful tho.

Reply #60327 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I believe that this is big picture thinking from the NBL.

Basketball has the advantages over the sports normally associated with Australia : AFL, League, Union and Cricket.

Any Asian country good at these? NO.

Soccer and Basketball are the sports of choice through out Asia.

I can see the NBL being apart of an Asian Super League with the winner going into a tournament for an Asian trophy of some sought.

The step of having NBL teams being able to suit fringe NBA quality Asian players has got to be a huge plus for the NBL.

Imagine the hype / novelty factor alone for local media plus the amount of home fans that will follow that said player's new team.

How many of us followed Brett's effort in Greece? How many people in Minnesota follow Dusty here? It is all good.

More exposure means more fans which means more opportunity for sponsors dollars, both locally and internationally.

Local companies are looking to break into the Asian market all the time. What other sport in Australia will be able to offer a direct link into Asia through the player plus also weekly telecasts of their logo into millions of people living rooms. NONE.

What is the problem? If this is done right the NBL will then be in a position to name it's price to the FTA stations to broadcast locally.

Reply #60328 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You make some excellent points Kent. My question is what are the NBL salaries like in comparison to the Asian league salaries? Will we find it hard to attract a decent amount of Asian players to our league? If yes then we should go for it, if no then wouldn't the money be better spent promoting the sport in Oz?

If we had enough decent players coming in from Asia as Kent said it would create huge exposure for the league and the crowds would come back.

Reply #60330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is Australia

20m

Asia over 1b

Asia might just be the key to success

(NBL must increase salary cap a little)

Not much, clubs seem to be poor

Plus australians will be payed more than they deserve, however
it may intise some really good players

Reply #60335 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Winedrinker,

I think you will find WNBL is covered by ABC under its charter of supporting Minor Sports & Women's Sports. Noticed over the weekend they were covering a Hockey Tournament and the ABC also has the Netball generally.

Reply #60338 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

One aspect of any proposed AustralAsian 'super-league' that would require serious consideration is the number of teams involved and how to (re)structure the competition. It's a huge can of worms:

* How many asia based teams would be admitted and at what cost to the Aus based teams?

* Would a geographic conference system be instituted? Say, East and West, where Perth and Adelaide are in the west with the Asian teams, and east-coast Australia along with NZ in the East. Or perhaps a regional system (Asia / Aus & NZ) which I think would be a bad idea (reinforcing national boundries).

* By adding more teams, the regular season would have to be lengthened - increasing (travel) expenses (yes, and potential earnings if done well). I'd love to see a longer season (and longer playoffs).

* Revoke some existing NBL licenses to prevent the league from becoming too bloated, keep travel costs down and make way for larger (Asian) cities to make more money than the smaller regional centres? I'm thinking of places like Cairns and Wollongong (even Adelaide only has a catchment of about 1.5 million people who can regularly attend games and the 6ers are probably only averaging about 4,500 per game this year). Aus doesn't have anywhere near the population density of Asia, where the crowd pulling potential is higher simply by sheer weight of numbers.

Perhaps some kind of profit sharing could be instituted to (at least initially) help cover travel expenses of smaller and/or struggling clubs. But that's (Arnie) pie in the sky and I'm no marketer or bean counter. Would that be at all appealing to prospective clubs (that are already doing well in their current situation)?

And it makes me wonder...

Reply #60340 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Trust me - I am all for making the league bigger and stronger, and especially try and stop losing quality Australian players to other leagues.

But the reality is that we have had to make huge salary cap cuts to make sure some teams do not go bankrupt, and this is why we are losing players to other leagues as the money is a lot better.

If we get some Asian teams involved - who is going to pay for the massive increases in travel costs without sending teams broke?

Reply #60341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not go into the asian league

inject some serious money into the league before it disappears altogether

before you all moan virtually every team is struggling financially

BA and the NBL are not in healthy financial situations just like BASA

before the NBL disappears and if anyone seriously doubts that is not a possibility look at the quality of the product now compared to ten years ago

the sport needs to regenerate itself starting at the top.

Reply #60343 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

problem is that the nbl boom coincided with the nba boom, and coz the nba intrest is not at large, basketball intrest isnt as large. if the american game peaks again so will ours. thats not to say that we cant do things to improve ourselves

Reply #60374 | Report this post

GB  
Years ago

Im all for the expanding into asia idea. For that to work NBL needs to be much more compelling that it currently is. More money needs to be pumped into the game to keep the talents and keep a pipeline of talents flowing into the league. The pay nbl players get is just ridiculous. Im not saying NBL players are crap but ever heard of the saying you pay peanuts you get monkeys? Expanding into asia will mean higher price for boadcasting rights leading to more money to invest back into the league and its players.
I think the basketball in this region should follow the lead of what soccer is doing, we need to find some basketball nut who is loaded to invest in the game. As for the distance restrictions of the game, maybe a champions league format should be used to reduce the travelling during the regular season.
More also need to be done to broadcast the game. How about using the web every now and then to throw in some free streaming games for loyal nbl fans. NBL has been taking so much from the fans, its about time the fans get something in return for all the goodwill and support they have shown. How about a 1 hour program like NBL TV summarising results highlight reels etc. That will go a long way to generate interest. Someone needs to get off their butt and pump some money into the game and the game will take care of itself. I call for the ex-nbl and ex-nba and current aussie players to form a consortium of some sort to raise the funds for this to happen. With the backing of legends like gaze i reckon they can talk many fans into even investing themselves.

Reply #60383 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Buying (season) tickets, merchandise and getting their friends to go to games is the fans way of investing in the league.

Reply #60520 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754