Double Clutch
Years ago

Adelaide's defence

After last night I thought this deserves a topic of it's own.

I am totally exasperated at how good our D was against Melbourne and the contrast against Brisbane. Sure Melbourne aren't deadly from the arc which makes it easier when trying to double down on a star centre but there is a list of fundamentals missing last night which I would call unacceptable to under 18 division 2 teams.

• Bradtke goes to the free throw line early. Both Dusty and Cooper don't box out on the second shot. Bradtke is a 63% free throw shooter and made his first shot. Don't blame it on fatigue or being in the cold either on Saturday night, this was in the first minute of the game. Brannen got the O board and scored.
  • Oscar getting exposed by Black. That wouldn't be an embarrassment in itself, except the first move Black used to blow past Oscar was the smallest of head-fakes I've ever seen. It wasn't even really a move, Oscar was just flat-footed. I know with a switching D we get these miss-matches and it becomes hard for guys like Oscar to defend quicker 2 guards off the dribble but using a head-fake to get in the middle of the lane at NBL level shouldn't occur. Then Oscar has a flash-back to 3 years ago and lightly taps Black on the shoulder when he's already around him and gives up the 3 point play. At least Oscar bounced back offensively, which he couldn't do 3 years ago.
  • We go to a zone early to stop easy lay-ups. So what in the hell was Farley doing allowing the offensive player to drive at his hip, then proceeding to not move his feet, reach around for a steal, doesn't come up with it, and then starts to leak back out past the 3 point line for a fast break. He doesn't hustle back into the contest and even if help D comes we then have a 3 point shooter wide open on the extra pass as we have one less player recovering to close out and locate.
  • Our weak-side help was non-existent the entire first half except when Rees came on. I think some of the cuts for lay-ups were meant to be flashes to the high post, but when the weak-side didn't move in the man D guys found themselves wide open. How can players be so lazy?
  • In one possession Dusty was defending someone on the foul line extended to the 3 point line. Dusty's man passed to the short corner and Dusty turned and faced the short corner with his back to his man. He didn't double, he didn't apply any pressure to the passing lanes, he just turned and faced the ball. What the hell was that supposed to achieve? Of course Dusty's man then proceeded to cut back-door and score an easy lay-up. What happened to some defensive fundamentals? Stay in defensive position low, locating your man and the ball? Fair enough if you are going to double the short corner do it, don't just stand and watch a metre away.
  • As has been mentioned before, Farley just walking into screens and not fighting thru them. Black must love playing against Adelaide.
  • When fronting the post no pressure is applied to the passer, making the lob easy. Joey even called a time-out later for when they pull out of transition to run a back-screen in the lane and against the switching D the lob will be open.

I could keep going but the point is our D was non-existent last night, and for such a big game too. How can so many guys be willing to get hands in the shot pocket, double down aggressively, locate shooters and play good weak-side help in Adelaide, then throw that all out the window less than a week later north of the border I have no idea. That's what is so frustrating, while this team has no great individual defenders other than maybe Mark Nash it is very capable of getting the job done when all ten guys come to play. Last night at times the team just looked disinterested in winning the game. It's also times like this that Smyth's personality works against him as I would wish he gives the players a bit of a blast right now because after last night's performance they need it. Watching that game I couldn't help but feel sorry for guys like Nash, Rees and Maher and also for the fans who travelled to Brisbane spending a lot of cash to see such a pathetic defensive effort.

Playing like this on the road Adelaide won't be a top two team. I'm still hoping we can go somewhere in the finals, and the hope is there because when the team comes to play defensively they are great. Let's just hope they come to play this Friday night.

Topic #5328 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

By that you mean they're playing with the juniors on Saturday night to re-learn their defensive fundamentals, right?

Reply #60637 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

DC

The 6ers are playing Friday night.

Reply #60638 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

DC, I could cut/paste your whole post and put it under my name. Couldn't agree more.

Smyth needs to call time-outs when the team is getting burned 5 or 6 offences in a row. His theory that he will need them late in the game is a joke if we are down by 25.

Also, what was with the mass substitutions? I think I did that when I coached a year 10 B team. It showed no strategy as it resulted in Oscar being subbed out after hitting two long bombs, getting it back to 14 points.

Also in the 1st quarter, Jacob hits 5 straight shots. SUB!!! Of course! Get him off, he's too hot. Smyth has to allow flexibility in his sub patterns when guys are hot.

Farley was so bad last night I kept calling him "Jo Jo"

Reply #60639 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Haha, you didn't notice but I edited my post before you two posted.

In anycase, give them to me Saturday night, their D can't get any worse.

Haha, good call on Farley Doctor.

Reply #60640 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

DC - my favortie was in the second quarter - I think when Brisbane was on a semi-break and Black was bringing the ball down the middle and Farley 'attempted' to go for the steal in between halfway and the three point line, Black crosses him over, then Farley just jogs along side of him all the way to the bucket as Black scored an easy lay-up - I was spitting - didn't even try and pull him up or force him to pass the ball!

I said about six weeks ago that Farley's defence will probably cost us a championship - no one seemed to care when I said it then, but last night was probably the worst defensive effort I've ever seen by the Sixers as a whole - yes there were individual attempts such as Maher who never gives up, Nash as usual and Holmes and Rees, but the rest of the team left a lot to be desired.

As the great zen master used to quote often (Phil Jackson), you're only as strong as your weakest link, and Farley is Adelaide's weakest link. Don't get me wrong, he's great offensively, but just brings the whole team on the floor down by his laziness and pathetic attempts at guarding people.

There, that's my 6 cents worth.

Reply #60659 | Report this post

tha_h0bb1t  
Years ago

i felt disgusted watching the game... i could pick three people from u/20 that could have lifted the defence in that game! on top of that (which has been stated before) they all looked lazy not only on defence but on offence as well. there was however little rays of sunshine shinning through of the sixers we like to see... they clearly wernt prepared mentally for that game. someone who hasnt been mentioned yet who i saw pull his finger out a few times (more than the other big names) was holmes... hes got heart. and dusty... enough said. sixers on offence were trigger happy from the three! and miss a lot of easy shot under the basket. DC's right on the money with this one... i just hope they can pull them selves out of this hole coz in the end... we love em to death they our boys! n they let every1 down... they need to come to play! heads in the game! and that didnt happen...

who r they playing on friday and where?

cheers

Reply #60685 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

agree with doc. smyth needs to call more timeouts. if he did so, not only would we possibly win more games, we wouldnt have to win so many games on the final play. and the subs thing is right to. phil seems to worry more about equally sharing his minutes than leaving guys on when theyre hot.

Reply #60694 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

smyth's rotations lack imagination and reaction. its almost if hes planned his subs before the game and sticks to that rotation despite the game situation or whos playing good or bad. i reckon thats been the case all season.

the subs are the same every week

Reply #60698 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Watch for Bailey to carve up the defence tonight! Usually happens with any team with an above average point - not coincidence that those teams who have blitzed us all have a star guard.

Reply #60737 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I agree, we always tend to struggle against a team who has a point guard who can penetrate the keyway. I wish this game was televised as well...

Reply #60748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO Point in duscussing, Australian BB is going downhill atm

Reply #61043 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754