Anonymous
Years ago

36ers receive umpire bias at home

According to the NBL story.

"
Perth coaches Scott Fisher and David Ingham watched the dying minutes of the contest in dismay believing many of the referees' calls were incorrect"

Speaking to a number of other NBL fans (supporters of other clubs than adelaide), they are in agreeance that umpires in adelaide give us more calls.

I haven't noticed, but i do watch my beloved team with one eye. Anyone else think this is a true statement?

Topic #5344 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mods: that should read 36ers... obviously.

Reply #60777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course people are going to start rumors like that. The 36ers havent lost at home this season. And last season they didnt lose many at home. I believe it's go nothing to do with the umpiring though, sure in every game there are some calls that can be a bit iffy but they go both ways. Overall I don't think the refs have made much of a difference at all. Supporters here get behind the sixers well which is what gets them over the line at home, not the refs.

Reply #60779 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

The refs made a difference in the melbourne game, even the biggest one-eyed supporter (like me) can see that. But other than that i really haven't seen a big favouritism and if there is, we deserve it after the years of the crap umpiring we got.

Reply #60780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who were the refs tonight? Last game, against Melbourne, there were 2 Victorian refs, so it could hardly be hometown calls.

Reply #60782 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

In 2002-03 and 2003-04 when our home record was 9-6 & 10-7, I didn't hear anything about home town refs. Last year and so far this year our home record has been exellent, and it is all because of the refs. These are the same refs, weekend after weekend, and have been for years! Were they screwing us over perhaps in 2003 and 2004?

Reply #60787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every other team in the competition believes the refereeing in Adelaide is biased.
Believe me, incorrectly or correctly that is the opinion of the vast majority outside of our fair city.
The number of teams that have directly complained to the referee director, Pat Tilden far outweighs the clubs that have not.
I am not just talking about this year either, I am going back over a number of years.
This is not necessarily my opinion, I am just putting it out their from someone who is involved with alot of basketball people in Australia.

Reply #60788 | Report this post

only bias is in u10s at pasadena ! LOL

Reply #60789 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

One thing that really put a dagger in perths heart was during one 36ers offensive position where Maher was fouled shooting a 3. A tech foul was followed and Maher hit all 5 foul shots. Sixers also had the side ball and hit a 3 from it. 8 Points in one offensive trip really hurts. To perths credit they came back.

I try to be as opened eyed support as I can and there was two really bad calls. The first one is when Bailey kicked a Sponsors sign (the sign didnt even move) and got a tech foul for that. Perhaps there was another reason for this tech foul that I dont know about? Or perhaps this is always an automatic tech?

The other bad call which was protested profusely, was when there was about 4 seconds left and Bailey grabbed Maher to send him to the line but Maher broke free and the umpires decided to call no foul. However the outcome would have been decided either way.

Other then that I think the umpires did a good job. The foul count and foul shot count was very even (prehaps thats not the best indicator but shows that there wasnt a obvious bias).

Reply #60793 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

"The other bad call which was protested profusely, was when there was about 4 seconds left and Bailey grabbed Maher to send him to the line but Maher broke free and the umpires decided to call no foul."

When Perth were making their run, Holmes was clearly beaten by (Crawford?) so tried to foul him before the shot, it was not at all subtle, and the refs let (Crawford?) finish the play, then made a late call to award a generous continuation.

There were also some very soft fouls called under the basket, on both teams, but that seems to be the norm in the NBL.

Fisher was really fired up at the end of the game and followed the refs all the way down the length of the court to the race.

I've never seen anything like that 8-pt play Maher had. That should have stiched the game up, but Perth didn't lie down and could easily have stolen it.

Reply #60796 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they didn't want to give up crucial points like those technical free throws, how about they not over-argue a situation or not go and kick a sign? That's pretty simple if you ask me.

Bailey had earlier punched the basket support and I'm sure the refs noticed that.

Reply #60807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the ref's don't call fouls in the dying minute's then the defence needws to foul harder. This put's the game in a dangerous situation. SO they need to call the first foul.

Reply #60810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bailey's Tech foul was for swearing aswell as kicking the sign

Reply #60813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ask the sign, it hurt so bad it cried, so bailey deserved the tech

Reply #60818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Pat Tilden was in town last week perhaps we could ask him what he thought of our biased umpriring. Every game there is a evaluator at the game and an assistant, some weeks there are multiple people who watch the game on top of that a video is suppled for the referee and evaluator to view after the game to further review the game, and I am sure Pat Tilden is able to get a copy of the game if there are a lot of complaints.

Reply #60825 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

last nite the were really bad. I dont think bailey deserved that though, we was just frustrated.

Reply #60848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look, Perth are idiots... Always complaining, you dont see Rees complaining when he got hit, you don't see the sixers complaining all the freaken time...

As Nagi said in the paper, Fisher can't coach

gees, this is going to be controversial (my post)

Reply #60876 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

i just dont understand how clubs can say that our umpires are biased. most of the time the 6ers get screwed, not the opposition. like CPD said, holmes try to stop crawford at halfway and the refs let crawford get a lay up before they called a foul, not to mention that charge homles was called for when he posted up crawford(i think). crawford went down, jacob put up a shot, missed, tipped it back in then a call was made. just two of the bad calls we got and get every night.

Reply #60891 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Just to clear up your posts, we haven't had the same referee's for years as some of you believe. The NBL changed the rotation of ref's around the league in 2004 and it has only been the last two seasons that we've had predominantly Adelaide referee's. The NBL did this to save money but it has back fired on them as the refereeing is pretty poor in every state. I know the Sixers don't look forward to being called by Ray Hunt as he is always biased against them. Having said that, Caroline, Phil Haines, Andy Filmer and John Clover have no right to be in the NBL. They are only there due to the lack of good ref's around. "They Suck".

Reply #60922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carolyn

Has attended world championships in Germany in 1998 and by memory did a medal game.

Sydney 2000 she did bronze medal couldn't do gold cause australia were playing and at international level you never do your own country.

she has spent time in the US at their invitation for a season of WNBA

what more does she have to do - her record says more than enough.

Phil Haines has his international licence in both able bodied and wheelchair basketball, you do not win them out of the wheeties packet

and last time I looked John Clover is not doing nor has done a NBL game

Reply #60939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all teams playing away from home think they get screwed by the refs if they lose

Reply #60944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from NBL to U/10's

Reply #60951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jumpshot if you even knew the ref's you were bagging then u sure as hell wouldn't say that. All of those ref's have worked their butts off to get to that position.

If Phil doesn't deserve be refereeing NBL then why has he won the ABL referee of the year more than anyother referee in Australia doing ABL.

And Caroline Im not even going there. She has more than proved her worth.

What do u want Eddie Crouch to come back???????????

Reply #60980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess Jumpshot doesn't go to the basketball often - John Clover don't ref NBL!! Ha ha ha

That is the funniest post I've ever seen on here....

You gotta get it right if ya gonna bag people!!

Or maybe he was intentionally writing that to make himself intentionally look like a dick !!!

Reply #61159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754