CPD
Years ago

You suck! No, *you* suck...

Can someone please explain where the 'you suck' chant came from? That it's delivered with such enthusiasm is scary. It's beneath the crowd and the 36ers (and their opponents) deserve better.

Topic #5347 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

Its aimed at the refs not the teans. When a bad call is made by the refs is when the chant is made. I'm surprised that the refs have not complained about it or if they have, nothing has been done about it yet. Its a way of sending a mass message to the refs that the crowd did not approve of their call.

Reply #60804 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

brings the crowd into it as well, ive noticed ppl who would not normally get vocally involved get right behind this and really bellow it out,

could be alot worse

Reply #60808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its also good to teach the younger fans to abuse the ref's with "you suck" when you don't like the call.

Go Adelaide number 1 in schooling young players.

Reply #60809 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Ah, the bleeding hearts over the 'you suck' chant. I find it all so amusing.

Reply #60812 | Report this post

Music Man  
Years ago

CPD the "You Suck" is taken from the WWE in reference to the only real wrestler that they have, Kurt Angle ( Sorry DJ). Kurt actually won gold for the USA in the Atlanta Olympics and this is the song that is played for him when he enters the arena.

The WWE crowd adapted the "You Suck" part as at the time Angle was being built as a villain by the WWE marketing machine.

I have been playing it off and on for over a year now but seems that the crowd has really caught on to it of late.

Maybe the recent WWE tour which had Angle in it was the catalyst?

Some people may beleive that it is out of line but judging by the participation level it is well accepted.

I have known some of the refs for over 10 years and they realise that it is part of the parochial atmosphere at the game and know that particularly the Adelaide crowd is very knowledgable on the game and its rules.

Always open to feedback and bring on the Kings!!

Reply #60814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide is knowledgable? lol. I heard one guy at the game ask 'was that an unsportsmanlike or an intentional'

Reply #60817 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Are you telling me that Angle is the only real wrestler?

Haha :-) Love the chant, and it seems so fitting at the BBall.

Personally as I've said before it gets the crowd more involved than the previously used umpires a wanker (crowd chant, no music involvement).

Reply #60820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't been to a game in years, but still don't think you can go past a good ole "Carolines a wanker" chant ;-)

Reply #60821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 60821 maybe it is time you get to a game soon . Living in the past is not good for the heart . Get to the next match !

Reply #60828 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Annon #60809, lets cut out all the swearing in schools, on television, in movies, in music, in sporting clubs etc etc so we can teach our children to be decent citizens. How practical is that? Children will always be subjected to adversity, there is no way you can eliminate it all together. Being a mother myself, I truly believe that if children are brought up right, they will understand the difference between right and wrong and make the right choices. They will get amusement out of it but not at the expense of someone else's misery and not be adversly affected by it. In fact it will strengthen their character.

Reply #60830 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

I agree with CPD and find the 'You suck' to be unsportsmanlike - surely there's better ways to encourage a crowd than to denegrate umps and opposition

Reply #60834 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Should we bring tomatos wak?

Reply #60835 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

So what is the point of the whole Home Crowd advantage that every sport goes on and on about, is the crowd only meant to cheer good things.

Reply #60836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's to support your TEAM not blame the refs. It's UGLY and will only make the Adelaide crowds look like idiots to everyone else.

Reply #60838 | Report this post

Crooked  
Years ago

The 'You Suck' is probably a good thing in disguise, it prevents a lot of people saying far worse unsavoury things and thus prevents the little kiddies from hearing it. Everyone should just take it the way it is intended, all in good fun, and just be thankful that we are not shouting something far worse.

Reply #60840 | Report this post

WWE FAN  
Years ago

It's great being able to hear it.

The "YOU SUCK" chant to Kurt Angle is fantastic.

If only we could get a "WHAT?" chant going during the game!

Reply #60860 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Thanks Music Man, I had no idea Adelaide was such a wrestling hotspot.

---

The are two main problems I have with the chant:

* it's easily misinterpreted as being aimed directly at players, esp. by fans of other teams when 6ers home games are on Fox. Do we want a reputation as being unedumacated and brutish?

* LOUDLY boo'ing your dissatisfaction with a call or a play has the same effect, and comes off as alot less aggressive.

Refs or not, I think "You suck" is disrespectful and IMHO, it's not good for the game and 6ers fandom. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Reply #60863 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Hmm, I kinda got sidetracked and didn't actually list two problems and now I've forgotten. I guess that means *I suck*.

Reply #60864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For to long Adelaide fans have been to 'nice', its good that they have a nasty streak to them! Keep it up, a 'nice league' image doesnt work for me, the louder the better!

Dont like it dont come

Reply #60877 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

lot of hooha over a chant, guess we should all put our selves in cotton wool and censor our selves from this evil world,

i mean seriously, if someones objecting to the chant u suck i would be guessing they live a pretty sheltered life, go to ANY other sporting event in this state or others and you will find this is probably the nicest thing said to a ref or opposition.

so going by your anon who objected to this, we should all just sit there say nothing and watch a game if we did that you would be the first person bitching next week that the crowd didnt get involved

some ppl theres no pleasing,

Reply #60905 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

"Thanks Music Man, I had no idea Adelaide was such a wrestling hotspot." - CPD

I am quite happy to confess that I am a professional wrestling fan (yes, something else for ppl to pay me out about).

But how good would it be if basketball copied some of wrestling's ideas:

1) Entrance music
2) Pryos
3) Cutting promos
4) Cool nicknames

As for number 4, there's already one that's perfect: "The American Dream" Dusty Rychart

(There is actually a former wrestler known as "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, hence why it would be fitting!)

Reply #60920 | Report this post

Music Man  
Years ago

Is it even scarier that it was 1am when you posted your wrestlimg confessions?

Just jokes Matt the WWE is a great example of marketing identities.

There have been some ideas thrown up around that sought of thing for the bball.

WWE figurines out sell all other figurines in the toy market.

Vince Mc Mahon publically stated that the wrestling is contrived, therefore not a sport and therefore saving his company 10's of millions in tax each year....brilliant!

Reply #60924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I blame Sturt for this.

Reply #60928 | Report this post

Guthy-Renker  
Years ago

Maybe bring in some Jerry Springer chants

When the cheerleaders are dancing
"Lift up your top"

When Caroline is umpiring
"lift up your top"

When a player is whining
"Go back to Oprah"

When the Fellas are playing
"lift up your top"

Reply #60937 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

The refs know better than to let the crowd get to them, they're the top referees in SA, they have tons of experience and thicker skin then week old custard.
It gets the whole crowd involved, if someone starts with that chant then they will soon gain confidence to start cheering louder when the 6ers score and not just clap like they're at some tennis match.
ALSO
Little kids are born little brats, most of their behaviour comes from home, not one basketball game where the crowd is pumping. If they're stupid enough to try it at a junior game then they will probably be told off by the umpire,the coach of the team and, hopefully, the parents of said child.

NBL games are the only time where it is almost acceptable to voice your disagreement about a call or a players actions against one of your own so just let them do it, it's a hellava lot better than throwing beer bottles at the other team, poor Ponting.

Reply #61054 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Thomo, maybe you should ask Dusty for an opinion on this topic when you interview him?

Reply #61063 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

If your a wrestling fan, more importantly a WWE fan give me a HELL YEAH!!!

Reply #61064 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

WHAT????

I mean HELL YEAH!

(And chuck in a WOOOOOOOO for me too!)

Reply #61085 | Report this post

go to a footy game and i'm sure you will here much worse and thats from the kids,so i say crank it up play it loud and proud!

Reply #61183 | Report this post

Crooked  
Years ago

Whatever happened to this chant?

I am bringing a WWE fanatic with me to the game tonight and I would LOVE to hear it once, if the situation warrants it of course.

Why has it not been used in recent games?

Reply #66621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754