DARK DIRK
Years ago

Forward planning - Sixers coach after Smyth?

some people might think thats its too early to start thinking about adelaides coaching positions for the next few seasons, i would like to hear other views/ideas/suggestions.
If Phil does not continue after the end of this season, what options are available? Who will be at the end of their coaching contract that could take over as Adelaide's Head coach? Personally i think adelaide should look to securing Frank Arsego after he has finished his contract with the Breakers, his style is uptempo, and he knows a lot of the younger players since being involved with the AIS.
Your comments/reply/Criticism welcomed
Cheers

Topic #536 | Report this topic

wak  
Years ago

Steve Breheny.

Pretty obvious choice don't you think? Ninnis as assistant.

Reply #4817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree,

Breheny deserves the spot.

Reply #4821 | Report this post

DARK DIRK  
Years ago

would steve take over? it seems that he likes to stay in the background

Reply #4837 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Give Rupert a shot at it!

Reply #4859 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer. Reasons. Firstly he knows the game back to front and say what you like if Goorjian's not available he is the next best. Secondly he will bring some excitment back to the game instead of just sitting back on the bench. He might bring back the old choking sign and he will sell the program to the general public like ol' Ken Cole did. We need some one opposite to Phil as far as getting fans involved. The Lindsay Gaze sit back and fall asleep routine is a little tired. Thirdly he has numerous contacts in Australia and overseas and we might finally attract some players or not let young ones go like Newley because he can't be developed.
Why not go after the best and Goorjian is the best. He nearly came once before. Years ago, from very good scources I was told he had a meeting in Melbourne while coaching the Magic but one condition couldn't be met. I believe the main person against it was the then general manager Barry Richardson. Why not try him again. As Australia's coach we surely could attract quality players and he can develop players.

Reply #4864 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Didn't Steve say after his Geelong stint he would not take a head coach role again??

Memory fails me a bit here, but I seem to recall people saying this when he was rumoured to be going to Perth a few seasons back.

Reply #4865 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i dont know who id want to coach. i think give smyth about 2 or 3 more years then make the choice. i=any was he thinkin of quiting

Reply #4873 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Smyths contract expires at the end of this upcoming season (or next at best)

Given the relationship with office and coaching staff, can anyone really see Phil wanting to stay?

I would love Phil to stay until he wants it to be over, but then also, a change is as good as a holiday, and maybe a different coach with dufferent philosophies and a different game plan might shake things up :)

Reply #4879 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

phils my man - no one off hand comes near him.

He is the Leigh Matthews of basketball

Reply #4889 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

They nearly gave Palmer the job once before, but they gave it to Phil instead. 3 titles later, I guess it wasn't a bad decision!!! So, if they were going to give it to him before, they might consider giving it to him again. I think he would be a good choice for the reasons stated by "Jay".

I don't think Steve B would do it for reasons already stated.

Sapwell? As much as I love the guy, he not only doesn't have any NBL coaching experience, I don't think he has any coaching experience at all!! Give him an assistant's role.

Why hasn't anyone suggested Ninnis? Not proven as a head coach in the NBL, but neither was Phil. Scott has experienced success as an NBL assistant, and has won 2 ABA conference titles as a Head Coach at Sturt (and should've won a National title too!). He is one of our favourite sons so I say give Scott a go. Unless his commitments to the Academy will stop him from doing it.

Reply #4937 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

If Smyth did not do the sixers then Breheny should get it. Brehenys played/coached NBL and has been much of the brains behind Smyth and would ensure continuity in the 6ers planning etc.

Then Arsego. Arsego is just a gun coach. Look at what he did with the Breakers and has done with the AIS. He is from SA so would be good too.

The would be the next option followed by Ninnis who has worked with Breheny and and Smyth and has a couple of ABL head coaching championships under his belt.

I dont think Sapwell would be anywhere near contention yet. Give him 3-5 years and it may be a different story.

No matter, if one of these guys were to do it then it would be great as they are all high achievers! I feel like it is almost time for a new coach for the 6ers.

Reply #4938 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

What did Arsego do at the AIS and what great results have the Breakers had? If Arsego is coach at least nagy will like it, I hear one of them was best man at the other's wedding! If you think Nagy was Phil's mouth piece imagine if his best man is coach. It makes you just quiver doesn't it. I say again Bruce Palmer would be the best coach to get. Coach of The Year, Championship coach. At least it would be interesting and exciting again.

Reply #4939 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

If Smyth goes then Breheny goes too. They are a two for one package and Breheny will follow Smyth to his next appointment (and lets face it, Smyth is a career basketball coach, he will be coaching somewhere).

If we lose Smyth I'd like to see us look overseas like we've done before with Monson and Dunlap.

Reply #4947 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

You really think so E??? I dont think an o/s coach would work right now because we have so many good young players coming through. I think you need continuity a the moment and someone that understands the local and national basketball context.

Im all for getting someone OS if some hard decision are to be made and changes need to happen but I dont think this is quite the case with the 6ers at the monent.

Reply #4948 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be funny if we got Goorjian!!!

Reply #4949 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

Oh yeah, hilarious......

Reply #4954 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

get a sense of humour

Reply #4957 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Now now children.

Arsego had plenty of success at the AIS. COY etc.

I like Frankie - I would say he's one of the better coaches going aruond.

Not sure why anyone thinks Phil's time is almost up? If he has another poor season, then maybe start considering it.

The team had a tough year last year, on and off the court, and I think you'll find with a more settled group they will be back near the top again this season.

I too believe if Smyth goes, Breheny will go too.

Reply #4960 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Yes the 6ers had a tough year last year and I don't think it will be any better this year. 6ers finished 8th in a 12 team comp. its 11 teams this year. The 6ers need to sort out the off court as well as the on court, the board has a problem with Phil and he has a problem with the board. The board pays the bills and I think only a championship will keep Phil with the 6ers. Who ever comes in after Phil will have his/her job cut out, the fans will be very critical, there are some good coaches but not many come from SA which seems to be important to some people. Maybe its time to look at an ABA coach to take it on but who and would any of them want it?

Reply #4970 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

So is the general word around town that the Adelaide board will definately let Phil go when his contract ends??????

I originally thought the idea was Phil was leaving on his own decision. What's the go?

Surely if the Sixers did that, even if the bball public isn't too fussed it wouldn't be great PR in general for the club in the SA sporting scene.

Reply #5063 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I certainly didnt say anything like that.

My point was, Phils contract is expiring either at the end of this season, or the 05/06 season.

I recall the 36ers saying mid way through last season that they were negotiating with Phil and Steve to extend, but surely, if they had agreed, there would have been big promotion of it??

Reply #5065 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

do u think that phill wants to retire

Reply #5067 | Report this post

unbelievable  
Years ago

It won't be Phil's choice.

Reply #5075 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

Perhaps Eric Drizners

Reply #5076 | Report this post

unbelievable  
Years ago

Thanks Mrs Drizners

Reply #5079 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

My point is, that id the relationship between the coaching and the admin staff is as bad as Boti would have us beleive, why would Phil stay beyond his current contract?

Who would want to work for someone who does not respect you, and is willing to bag you out in public?

I am sure many teams would be chasing Phil if he let it be known he was looking elsewhere.

Reply #5091 | Report this post

unique  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #5093 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I never mentioend the board..I mentioend the admin staff....a big difference between the 2 :)

Everything seems to have gone pear shaped at the Sixers since Mark Robinson and Bernie Lewis left......

Reply #5094 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I know you didn't say anything like that Yogee. That post wasn't directed towards you.

In any case, time will tell who was right.

Reply #5107 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No probs DC......only problem with not having a "quote" facility :)

Reply #5108 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i say that phll shoud stay another year or two because i recon he has done a fine job coaching them in the time hes been coaching

Reply #5111 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I think we should keep phil and steve for aslong as they want to stay, as they r easily the best coaches in the league, look at the roecord 3 titles in 8 yrs, where as goorj has 3 titles in like 15 yrs,antd the others don't have as many titles, so give phil what he wants and do everything to keep him, there is no one else better!

Reply #5121 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I agree, what is all this talk about Phil leaving? Extend his contract now!

Reply #5135 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Phil is the man.

The board has tried other coaches from here and abroad and experienced quite a few years of under-achievement.
Phil was/is the right choice for the team and should never be allowed to go.

Will be a sad day if he decides to leave.
But it won't happen, it won't.

Reply #5152 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

Phil and Steve are the team we need running our basketball team. If there is a problem why aren't we taling about sacking the management, NOT the guys that everyone wants to play for.
Wasn't everyone saying what a great job Phil and Steve did last year under very difficult circumstances. WHy would anyone consider getting rid of Phil, he is THE players coach. The man who allows people to use their natural talents rather than the Goorj who forces his team into contrived plays which come unstuck durn pressure finals games.
3 titles in 15 yrs (Goorj)
3 titles in 8 yrs (Phil & Steve)

Any management allowing Phil to get away is not doind their job, and should be sacked before supporters drop off the bandwagon permanently.

Reply #5263 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

i'm all for sacking a few people within the sixers organisation. how do you propose going about it?(!)

Reply #5267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Mark Davis

Reply #5532 | Report this post

bob  
Years ago

If the board /managment let Phil & Steve go they would be begining the end of basketball in S A.Phil and Steve are the types of proffesional people you need as the backbone of the Sixers

Reply #5560 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i agree

Reply #6553 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754