Isaac
Years ago

Goorjian 'disgusted' with Smyth

Foxsports has an article regarding a final quarter time-out used by Phil Smyth in the Sixers' game against the Kings on Saturday night.

In front of the cameras on Saturday night, Smyth suggested to his players and the viewing audience that the Kings were playing dirty and that his side should give as good as he thought it was getting.

"I thought it was disgusting," Goorjian said. "This team is very similar to his, it is an offensive juggernaut that runs up and down the floor and exchanges baskets.

"What they had going on out there in the fourth quarter and to be saying that on the camera to the viewing audience, I thought it was off.
Full article

To some extent, the motivation worked and the home side played themselves back into the game. That is, until Dusty Rychart picked up a couple of fouls going hard for rebounds, was fouled out, tech fouled, and the scenario left the Kings to regain their solid advantage.

Smyth telling his players to adjust their style within audio reach of telecast mics is nothing new, so I can't see what's so wrong with what Smyth said.

Your thoughts?

Topic #5420 | Report this topic

gertrude  
Years ago

i thought the tactic was quite good in that rees playing physically changed the course and tempo of the game and got the crowd into it.....saying the kings were playing dirty in front of the cameras is a little bit off, but it is a mans game and if they dont want that stuff on tv, then they should not go into the time-outs.
the kings were just way too good for us on saturday night.

Reply #61583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Gorg has to be truthful in response to Phil's comments. Phil just said what the whole league knows is going on and the refs let it go on...I was surprised Phil waited so long into the game to make comments along those lines. All the Sydney players run though through opposition with elbows pointed to make contact with the chest...Jason Smith did it about five times and got the call for a block each time.....Worthington is a hit and run merchant...Graham Dann was the first to stand up to his crap and got two games for it.

Gorg has to be truthful....he got his current gameplan from Phil but has tweaked it and brought in the dirty (oh he calls is Physical) play.

I must add that Phil's quote in the paper today that "we haven't trained for that type of game enough" surprised me. why the hell havent they? The Kings have shown the level to which basketball has now gone..like it or not....three championships tell you you better start liking it and copy it.

Reply #61585 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Goorj's teams have always played with the moto they will only call 1 out of every 2 fouls.

CJ plays like a bitch, still have the vision of Darnell standing over the top of him after he flopped saying "stop being a pussy."

He plays for the foul and gets the call almost every time, flops on d and gets charge calls, all as Carfino pointed out, complete BS way to play the game.

Remember what happened last time Goorj said he was coaching the greatest team in NBL history?

Reply #61589 | Report this post

Mugatu  
Years ago

So I guess you are saying that Andrew Gaze played a BS kind of game. Offensively Gaze was the same. I can still remember Gaze's lean in on his jumpshot just to make contact. Gaze was better because he could cause the contact and make the shot. Therefore if the ref did not call it, 2 points were still on the board.

Reply #61591 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

flopping and drawing a foul are 2 totally different things mugatu. and anyone who expects a coach to adjust what he says in a time out for the cameras is a moron. the game is and will always be paramount to coverage.

Reply #61592 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I said in a comment on the OzHoops boards that the Sixers might not be training enough in a particular style, and here it's been exposed.

Now, why they HAVEN'T been in the lead-up to consecutive games against Sydney and Wollongong, I have no idea! They're going to have to pick up the pace this week or the Hawks will destroy them the way they're coming together. Saville isn't doing all that much offensively and Wollongong are still putting up big numbers.

Reply #61593 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I will say that nothing used to annoy me more than when Gaze used to do the big leg kick when a defender was rushing his jumper.

Defender avoids contact only to be kicked by Gaze's legs and thus fouling him.....that play was beneath him but what is worse was that the refs rewarded it.

Reply #61594 | Report this post

Mugatu  
Years ago

Flopping and Drawing a foul are the same lockstock. Gaze used to as Kent said stick his leg out or jump into the defenders causing the contact himself. This was deceiving the referee into calling a foul that was advantageous his/her team. Flopping on a charge call is also about trying to deceiving referee into making a call to advantageous his/her team

Reply #61602 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

flopping is bringing the game to the level of soccers bs antics

Reply #61604 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

i don't know how coaches can condone flopping, if you don't get the call your man has a wide open shot. you can't play defense if you are on your arse.

Reply #61607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought that Flopping, ie faking a foul was now worth a tech. Is that not true? And if it is true, why create a rule that no ref will call?

Reply #61608 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

CJ is becoming the next Damon Lowery with hi flopping. At least Gaze did it when he was trying to score, CJ does it all the time.I can't srand someone doing it in the back court or outside the arc.

Reply #61616 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

#61608- that is true the new rules state that if a player intentionally falls for a charge he/she is SURPOSED to get a tech

Reply #61622 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

goorjian is and (as long as i have known him) has always been......a master of mind games.

as an opposing coach, you cannot allow him or anyone to plant mental time bombs in your players' heads.

remember ballers, the game is 80% mental.......that's right, you heard me, 80% mental. therefore, if he can make a few comments or play a style of ball that challenges or chips away at your mental focus and/or toughness, than it's a huge advantage for his ballclub.

do you remember the massive mind games in the nba playoffs played out by phil jackson and pat riley; chuck daly, george karl, and rick adelman.

everyone knows that goorjian puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the officials to call fouls. he knows that they might give you 2 or 3 fouls, but they won't foul you out.

this is the foundation of their defense from a psychological standpoint.

add to that their relentless "in your face", "constant ball pressure" defending that epitomizes a goorjian coached team.

we beat them by spreading them out and taking them one on one therefore doing two things: attacking their defensive principles and in our own right, forcing the officials to make the calls when they fouled.....which was and is often.

however, it's absolutely amazing how different this goorjian team is from the ones that we beat. he has opened the floodgates and they play "OUR" style of basketball..........and if that wasn't enough.....they're pretty damn good at it!!!

like him or not, he has adapted and changed his offensive philosophy while keeping his defensive principles intact.

therefore, in my humble opinion, phil done exactly what he should have because it has to be addressed!

they will meet again in the future.

ps. i've changed my style for you isaac. hope you like it.

Reply #61623 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

As much as I have despised some of his teams over the years you cannot blame Goorjian for the physical way his team plays as the NBL has NEVER done ANYTHING to discourage it. His seeming indignant over Smyth's comments is hypocritical, but Jesus, the Kings have been playing the EXACT same way for 3.5 years so the Sixers have NO excuse for not being ready for it. They had better be ready for Wollongong, who have been playing the same way for eight years.

With regards to the Gaze thing, he was never called for those fouls so why should he stop kicking his legs out when shooting a jump shot, or not barge straight into the stationary defender on a screen? That was ALWAYS the official's fault, not Gaze's.

Reply #61663 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I have always had an issue with the Fox camera's and microphones honing in on group huddles with coach and players. The coach's comments to his team should be confidential and he has every right to be able to say what he needs to say to them. When Goorjian says he is disgusted at the comments made and aired to the viewing public, the comments were not directed at the viewing public but his team. I think its disgusting that a coach can't speak to his team without being criticised for what he says simply because the public were privy to his comments. Apart from that, I can't see that the comments were a direct attack on Goorjian himself so why mention it. He is the one to make a public issue of it. His problem was not what Smyth said but the effect it had on his team after. As late as it was in the game, the Kings had met their match. It had Goorjian pulling phantom hairs from his head.

Reply #61701 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754