Isaac
Years ago

Kings to play in Canberra

First up, Jason Smith reckons the Kings can win 20-straight:

I don't think there is a team in the competition who can measure up to us, not that we can't have a bad game ... It's possible we can go 20 straight," Smith said.

Smith is unequivocal when asked if he can put his finger on the Kings' runaway success.

"Yep. (coach Brian) Goorjian," he said.
Then still with the Kings is the news that they're looking to play 4-6 "home" games out of Canberra.
Former Cannons coach Cal Bruton, whose son CJ plays for the three-time defending champions, is pushing for the Kings' plan to become a reality and has been in talks with the Kings chief executive Simon Allaston. He said having the Kings in the ACT would help create a stronger men's basketball program.

"It would have a tremendous impact on basketball in Canberra," he said yesterday.

Basketball in the ACT had suffered after financial troubles forced the Cannons out of the NBL, and this was a chance to restore the sport's popularity. "I think it would go a long way to helping establish a national program in the ACT again."
Government on standby as Kings look to expand their empire
Kings can win 20 straight: Smith

Topic #5436 | Report this topic

wak  
Years ago

well lets hope that there's a team that can beat them because the NBL has created a monster which is just going to bore the league and supporters - they will then have to create another monster to tackle them (Brisbane this year) which again will then just manifest and so on and so on...

Reply #61776 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Nah, move them to Canberra. Maybe someone will go watch them there. They sure don't go and watch them in Sydney!

Reply #61799 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Simple way to stop the juggernaut-- have a "serious" look at their salary cap and penalise the bastards like they have done to Adelaide.
I thought that the reason BA wanted Sydney to be successful was to create a following in NSW which would lead to FTA games on TV.
Instead we have a team of egos, still no TV and their coach talking shit whenever he opens his trap

Reply #61806 | Report this post

John Dong  
Years ago

CJ and Smith would obviously be primo points/money earners.

Rolan, while on this team is a role player, also would command good money and as in import 10 points.

From there, 2 more role players in Knight and Sheridan.

After that, a bunch of kids.

Over the cap? What a joke.

Reply #61812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not only that, but salaries are capped for the first two years for rookies, so Worthington, Crosswhite and Kendall would all be cheap.

There are teams over the cap, but I don't know if Sydney are one of them.

Reply #61821 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Sydney may be legit now, but highly questionable the last few years - the juggernaut has already been created ... yet did nothing for the league. They have lack of supporter base and now are looking to go to Canberra? I think that will actually work as lot of people in Canberra would go to a game to relieve the boredom. But doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a Sydney team whose role was to pump up the league in Sydney?
Maybe playing as the Sydney/Canberra Kings legitimises two salary caps where the players surely will fit under.

Reply #61833 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If the Kings would come to Canberra they would do pretty well crowd-wise. It just unfortunate it's the Kings.

Canberra is starved for decent ball games, the best we have at the moment is the AIS and Gunners and the Caps. Having Beard here was awesome.

Reply #61839 | Report this post

TDC  
Years ago

It seems highly unlikely that the Kings are over the cap. I hadn't seen the Kings play this season, before I went to Saturday night's game and I was stunned with how well they played and the performances Goorjian got from the rookies and journeymen. The Kings' game (on Saturday) reminded me of the 1985 and 1986 Sixers teams, with multiple outside threats, guards who can penetrate athen pass or finish and strong inside players who can create and rebound, with depth in all positions off the bench.

Much as I've always disliked Goorjian's behaviour and apparent arrogance, the Kings' results this season has me convinced me that he can coach a group into being a star team, as opposed to relying on a team of stars, as I felt he did in the past.

By the way, the fact that the Kings already have qualified for the finals (they have the split 3-0 over Townsville) - with more than a third of the season left - says some things about the final eight system and the gulf between the top four and bottom four (which wasn't as big last season). I haven't checked the numbers, but Adelaide and Melbourne probably will have qualified after the next three weeks, as well.

Reply #61953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754