Anonymous
Years ago

Did you know?

Foxsports did a documentry on Phil Smyth and one of the guys (Bob Turner i think) said that Phil was ranked among the top 3 guards on the WORLD! I could think Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan who are better in the guard position.

WOW!

Now Iverson, James and Wade would be better than Smyth, then there was hall of famer Isaih Thomas.

They said Phil was NBA calibre

Phil Smyth played for:

Adelaide 36ers
West Adelaide
Sydney Kings
Canberra Cannons

Topic #5456 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

I think he was saying that at the time Smyth would have been considered top 3 guards in the world. That would have been in the late 1980's I guess.

Off the top of my head, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Isaih Thomas, Clyde Drexler...

I'm sure the list would go on. It was a stupid comment.

Reply #61970 | Report this post

panther lover  
Years ago

but u have got to admit phil was very good back than at the point guard position. He definately is better than most guards these days in the nbl.

Reply #61973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if Gaze was able to have a go at NBA (bench) surely Phil would have been able to.

Magic taps down to Phil...Phil behind the back pass to MJ....no look pass to Phil....dribble between Magic's legs...reverse layup....scoressssssssss

Reply #61975 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

It is reported that Shaq told Phil at the worlds that it was an honour to play against him.

That says something.

Think also the Pero Cameron made the world all star 5 as a guard, so his comment was not without foundation.

Reply #61984 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

And if you are talking late 80's, pre the inclusion of 'professional' basketballers in international competition, the comment makes all the more sense. NBA players were excluded from international competition, so Smyth could easily have been in the top few.

Reply #61988 | Report this post

Guthy-Renker  
Years ago

He also mentioned that Kym Taylor was in the top 5 small forwards in the world.

Reply #61995 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I think Phil started his NBL career with St Kilda.

Reply #61997 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Reply #62003 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

1. Not sure if those shorts are regulation length, Mr Stern.
2. Oh no, tell me that's not the pre-penal Kendal "Tiny" Pinder in the bike pants in the foreground?!
3. And Ray Hunt still has hair!

Reply #62021 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754