gje
Years ago

OPALS TEAM

Does anyone know if our girls got in......

Topic #5465 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

"the final 12 for the Commonwealth Games will be announced in mid February and the team will train together from March 12-15 ahead of entering the Games Village."

wnbl.com.au

Reply #62038 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

found this on the net

Of the developing players, Stirling said: "I think Hollie Grima had a really, really good camp. I think at times Laura Summerton was good. On the perimeter, Sam Richards and Erin Phillips went hammer and tongs, which was terrific."

Basketball Australia is likely to cut some squad members soon, but most will remain until final selection.

Reply #62041 | Report this post

ghost of big kev  
Years ago

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=9649

for a bit of banter on this...

Reply #62042 | Report this post

gje  
Years ago

Thankyou for the info

Reply #62046 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

I think Laura will most probably get in and it would be a huge disappointment if Erin Phillips misses out she has had a fantastic season and she is an up and coming super star. I think Jenny Screen is going to be very unlucky and just miss out, too many good players in the same position. Anything can happen though, so good luck girls.

Reply #62054 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

There has been a lot of talk about Tully Bevilaqua getting in and i don't see how she can get in over Erin Phillips.

Erin killed her in the first game and kept her scorless while she scored 31. Tully is 33 and Erin is 20, we need to start looking towards our youth and then ready for the olympics.

Just compare Erin and Tully's stats and you can't tell me that she is better then Erin???

Reply #62056 | Report this post

patts  
Years ago

JT - I am not denying that Erin is a great player and probably is better than Tully, however to judge on just points scored per game is wrong. Tully is a great defensive player and also has a smart head for basketball. There is more to a basketball player than just the points they score.

Reply #62445 | Report this post

AND1  
Years ago

if tully is such a good defender then why did erin have 31 on her and foul her out? also that game tully only had 2 points and 0 assists, so she wasn't even creating for others!!!
so go erin

Reply #62549 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

I don't know what games you have been watching Patts but it's not just points per game if you can have a look at the stats and get your facts right, Erin isn't just in 10 points scored, she is in the TOP 10 for assists, steals, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds and total rebounds, oh also i forgot to mention Field goal %, Foul % and 3 pts % and still you can write that Tully deserves to be there before Erin.... Yeah right Buddy, lets just say i am glad you aren't the coach of the Opals!!!!

Reply #62892 | Report this post

patts  
Years ago

JT - I think you should get your facts right, i did not say that Tully deserves to be in there before Erin. I was quite simply making a point that sometimes its not just the stats that count, it is also experience, basketball knowledge and a cool, calm head that the selectors are looking for. There is no point having a team full of young, skillful players if there isnt an experinced head in there who knows how to deal with things when not all is going Australia's way. If you read my thread properley you will also notice that i mentioned that Erin probably is better than Tully, my thread was just trying to make people understand what the selctors may be selecting on.

Reply #67839 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754