Macca
Years ago

Well Done Fella's

Time for a mention of another gutsy win by the Fella's. In trouble at half time with Screen and Phillips both on 3 fouls... they were tremendously courageous and their "never say Die" attitude you just have got to love.
They dont earn the big $$'s, the certainly dont have the big celebrity heads that comes with media coverage... but gee do they have heart and discipline...
Erin Phillips was outstanding and Jan was again in the crowd and her hopes would have to have been boosted. Jenny unfortunately was in foul trouble and Laura played a great game on Brassard.
Listening to Chris speak after makes you realize what a terribly crappy draw they got early and now faces 3 weeks off. These girls all work fulltime... train their arses off, come out on a weekend and give it their all... and for someone like Boti to crack into them for a couple of below the norm efforts and then to have a weenie little article when they win... well it shows how disgracefully narrow minded one can be.
Well done girls.

Topic #5494 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

(Just an aside: Boti doesn't decide how much space is allocated to the team in the paper. What he writes is nearly never what makes it to the final edition - it's reduced and modified, etc.)
BTW, is this that small article you were talking about? Looks pretty good to me!

Fire stomped out
By BOTI NAGY
19dec05
BOOM recruits Tami Willey and Dee Ranford yesterday led Adelaide to the brink of the Women's NBL play-offs with a sizzling win over Townsville.

The 74-62 success at Wayville was built on a solid foundation of aggressive defence - the Fire scored just 22 points in the second half - and a 23-22 rebounding edge after the interval. The victory gave fourth-placed Adelaide a 2-1 season-series win over Townsville which slumped to sixth with the loss.

Adelaide (9-7) also owns fifth-placed Sydney (7-8) after beating the Flames 2-1 so unless the Fellas stuff up royally in the New Year - which is unlikely if they replicate yesterday's second half - they once again will be in action during the post-season. "I was very pleased with our defence in the second half," Adelaide coach Chris Lucas said. And why not?

Adelaide kept Townsville to 26 per cent shooting after the main interval. Before then, it had been a different story, the Fellas shooting a dreadful 29 per cent in the first period and 39 for the half, down 36-40. They had both Erin Phillips and Jenni Screen in foul trouble and were playing uptight and tense - perhaps too aware of the significance of the result.

But after the break, Adelaide started to run, Ranford and Willey particularly effective in a 10-0 start.

Steadily, Phillips too went to work, finishing with a quality stats line of 16 points, nine rebounds and six assists.

Laura Summerton shot at 4-of-5 after the break, en route to a 14-point, 10-rebound double and Cherie Smith, Sam Woosnam and Melissa Marsh all had important cameos. While Screen had minimal influence, in tandem with Ranford, enough was done to limit Fire superstar Rohanee Cox to four points on 2-of-12 shooting, officials Carolyn Tsakalos and Benn MacDonald never allowing Townsville to resort to their off-the-ball antics of clashes past.

Ranford was the spark and Willey ruthless in her attack on Jennifer Crouse, her 16 points coming on a super-efficient 8-of-10 shooting.

Adelaide was 50 per cent in the second half, the Fire reduced to smoke and mirrors.

Reply #62300 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

apologies upon waking today and seeing his article

Reply #62309 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Great game by all the girls, don't agree that Ranford was the spark though a lot of turn overs, did play OK.

Tammy and Erin would have had to be the sparks, Fantastic game by both, Tammy 8/10 from the field and Erin with 6 assists.

Great passing into Laura under the basket.

Reply #62322 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

"Boti to have a crack at them for a couple of below par efforts"

Gee, so he is allowed to wax lyrical when they play well, but for him to suggest they played ordinary (which they have for the last 2 home games), he is supposed to still look at things through rose coloured glasses.

Macca, your devotion to WNBL is to be commended out of this world, but really to suggest the media should not say negative things when a team is performing badly, just really isnt in touch with Planet Reality.

Just think about this.....if it wasn't for Boti, what promotion would WNBL get in this state?

Reply #62349 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

Fair enough and definitely once thought about I agree. And I can assure you upon waking this morning and seeing the article I felt like a DILL!
But I do believe he went to far on one particular occasion as We the public all knew Erin was injured and possiblyt would have to miss... so surely he did also?? He went to town on Sreen and Phillips... after defeating T/Ville, Losing to Dande and Bulleen-away and the 2nd by 2 points...and spiltting Sydney/T/ville. Their is no doubt the loss to Perth was a SHOCKER but there were reasons and it was the squad PLUS Chris Lucas who have to accept the blame not just the "big 3" being the scapegoats and everyone else slink through unscathed. It really was only 1 bad loss.
Surely more balance was called for and not an out and out attack on 2 fearsome competitors who week in week out lay it all on the line.
I have NEVER EVER played basketball in my life. I come from another sport where I compete on the world stage. I say this out of not big headed arrogance.. but to let you know that I watch basketball to help gain tremendous amounts from watching their work rate, courage and discipline. I have watched a great deal of womens sport in my time to try and find "more" and the Fella's inspire me every time I am lucky enough to see them play.
I would hope that the Advertiser with or without Boti would promote what is a tremendous side with inspirational qualities and a very consistent and admirable record.

Reply #62368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754