club
Years ago

36ers - out coached out classed?

When do you think the coaching staff should take responsibilty for the clubs poor performance?

We all said they have a great team to coach and with the right strategy we could go top - but it just may be the other clubs have worked out Phil and Steve's game plan.

It isn't as if they don't earn enough - both Phil and Steve's remuneration packages are reportedly $xxxk plus bonuses of up to another $xxk each per season. Not bad money - that costs the club well over $xxxk PLUS for our two coaches.

Looks like they sacrificed our mate Potsie to pay themselves plenty.

WHAT DO YOU THINK...............

Topic #5579 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Potsie is still employed by the club.

Reply #63134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Club .

Interesting points but suggest to leave the money issue out . Focus on the performance. In the end that is what makes the difference .

Reply #63136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Our %Pts is now 98.5 for seventh in the league.

Reply #63144 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

How ridiculous does it sound if Smyth said I am not going to get the best out of the team just because the club isn't paying me enough money to do it? He is in the job to do the best he can and get great results. The money he is paid is irrelevant because it is an agreement that was reached between all parties involved. The specification of the job has not changed because of the money paid. Apart from that, he has his own satisfaction to gain out of getting his team to a championship.

Reply #63145 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Considering most professional pundits did not rate the sixers a top eight side puts out squad in perspective. As much as an avid fan I considered the team in the 4-7 finishing spots depending on injuries and the progression of Oscar, Jacob and Brad. 2 of the 3 have contributed well but I must say Brad looks out of sorts in our programme at the moment. Sixers problems sit within two spots IMO our interior defence is weak, and we only have one point guard capable of running the team and when he sits out we struggle.

Reply #63148 | Report this post

Spatchcock  
Years ago

Mick Malthouse and Kevin Sheedy have a great ability to deflect blame for poor performances on anyone else other than themselves. To me Phil seems to be adopting that same approach where, to be honest being a fan who is tired of mediocre performances, it is becoming quite tiring.
Phil has also been extremely fortunate that he has had a journalist who has been most kind to him now over some years.
Right now Phil the buck stops with you and we are all looking for a rapid improvement in performance, before the languishing crowds become even more sparse.
And for Willie Farley, it is not quite holiday time yet Willie and we are not obliged to pay you for nothing, which is pretty close to what you are producing right now!

Reply #63157 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

All good points but the team is still in THIRD position on the ladder, so is it as bas as what people think?

Reply #63161 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

It is if the downward trend continues.

Reply #63198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyths style has not changed in the entire time he has coached the 36ers. When you have Maher, Cat, Mee, Brooks, Davis, Stiff and so on you can just throw the balls out and let them play.
This team needs some structure in what they run, the young boys need some coaching, not inflexible, sit on your ass, rest on your previous results coaching.

Reply #63211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #63211

Without doubt, one of the most sensible things ever posted on this forum.

Reply #63213 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Yes Anon #63211. Ditto. I was just saying to someone on Xmas eve tha tmaybe they need to learn some 'set' plays because their 'free flowing' style of play seems to have lost it's way a little bit. My God...dare I say it...Boy Goorj's tight disciplined 'follow my rules' play might be an extreme version of it...but it seems to get results. God I hate Sydney...but they deserve some respect.

Reply #63216 | Report this post

croc hunter  
Years ago

i recall a coach a number of decades ago cut an ageing but top player - the general did the coach no good
could it be the worm has turned if reesy gets the chop by the general maybe ???????

Reply #65269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754