Fezlington
Years ago

Rolan Roberts Gone for the Season

Kings import out for season after pre-game mishap
5:23 PM December 28

A shoulder injury will sideline Sydney Kings import Rolan Roberts for the rest of the National Basketball League (NBL) season.

Roberts tore a shoulder muscle while competing in a slam-dunk competition in the lead up to last night's All-Star game in Sydney.

The 27-year-old will have surgery within the next week but the Kings are yet to announce whether he will be replaced by another import.

Topic #5603 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Pity about Rolan, probably wont see him in a Kings top again.

Im still amused by Rashad Tuckers toe injury. Maybe if he didnt keep his heart in there it wouldnt hurt so bad.

Reply #63312 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Why would you waste your time playing last night in that so called All Star game.......man that was a joke

Why injure yourself like Roberts......if i was Goorgiian .....i would be pissed off

Reply #63313 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

report on ninemsn said it was Goorj's fault.
Apartently Roberts wasn't going to go in it, but goorj encouraged him.

What concerns me is that Goorj went on to say they have already contacted Luke Schenser (sp?) agent in the US as a replacement.

It also said the injury was a torn pectorial muscle while he was trying to do an elbow dunk - VC style.

Reply #63314 | Report this post

John Dong  
Years ago

Yeah, it was that VC style dunk. He pulled it off and didn't actually look to be in any pain immediately. He was warming up for the 3rd round then suddenly disappeared off court.

Rolan is actually signed for next season as well as this. I know NBL contracts are barely worth the paper they are written on, but he's been a rock for the Kings and Goorj adores him, so unless a replacement import is lightyears better, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Kings stick with him and bring him back next year.

Reply #63315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince Carter never gets hurt from it!

How much stronger is he than Roberts??????????????

Reply #63319 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

are cracks starting to appear in the kings armour

Reply #63324 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

its just a fluke accident. No one to blame, maybe he should not have stayed on the rim as long but its just one of those things. What is groves contract status at the hawks?

Reply #63325 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Does anyone know how many games you have to play to qualify to play in the finals series? It seems the Kings will have to act with lightning speed to get a replacement and have him qualify. Also how will they pay him? Aren't they committed to continue paying out Robert's contract. I can't imagine there would be too much left within the salary cap (haha).

Reply #63329 | Report this post

John Dong  
Years ago

I don't know about the salary question for sure, but I don't ever remember a team having to deal with salary issues over bringing in a replacement to an injured import, and it would have come up with some team at some point, and I can't understand why it would be done that way. I think it's different when an import is sacked (and see Brisbane trying hard for it to officialy be injury with Kevin Freeman), but I can't imagine injury would be that way. Import or any player.

Reply #63331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as far as I was aware players can be put on injury waivers and that allows the club to sign a player up to the slalry that the injured player was on. Could be wrong but I think that is the way it works.

Reply #63333 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, a replacement needs to play 7 games. Kings have 10 games left, and 3 of those are played in the next 10 days, so they'll need to be pretty quick.

Schenscher is top of the Kings' shopping list apparently.

Reply #63356 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

I would be very surprised if Schensher went to the kings after Goorj did not pick him for the Olympics. Didn't go to well the fact that he didn't make the team because he hadn't played enough big time games. i guess the College system is just a mickey mouse competition.

Reply #63357 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

There must be financial issues if the Kings can't sign someone who's not good enough to cut it in the Boomers squad.
Kings accountants will pull something out of their ar$e$, don't worry about that.

Reply #63454 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Are we having a go at Schensher DD? Just because he wasn't picked doesn't mean hes not good enough.

Reply #63460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea I agree with what John Dong was saying. Roberts seemed to be smiling and without pain during and after the dunk and then was suddenly injured.

Reply #63461 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Hey Bob Knight-- What about Dix to save Sydney if 36ers do not need him?

Reply #63548 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:21 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754