Isaac
Years ago

Hawks' war with NBL, All-Star insanity?

The Illawarra Mercury is reporting that the Wollongong Hawks have "officially declared war" on the NBL. Import forward Adam Ballinger sat on the bench for the World team in the All-Star game, but because he wasn't in the correct uniform, he has been ordered to sit out the Hawks' vital game against the Bullets.

Brett Maher is eligible to play against the Pigs on NYE because he suited correctly for his DNP.

The bizarre string of events continues with Mike Helms forced to suit and play for the World team to gain eligibility for the Pirates' next game, despite having missed two games through injury and working to make a recovery.

---

It's the latter stages of the season and the big-names are playing it safe to avoid injury over the festive break. So, what's the best way to rectify this? Swap the dunk comp for a three-point shoot-out? Reinstate the Future Forces game? Sophomores vs Rookies? Would the NBL want to pay to fly lesser-lights around for their All-Star day?

Topic #5619 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL IS PATHETIC!!!

YES, they want more people to play in the All*Star games rather than refusing to play but gees...

NBL is making up **** rules!!!

Reply #63438 | Report this post

John Dong  
Years ago

That is a complete joke. I understand completely the NBL putting measures in place to stop players 'hurting' their little finger to avoid the game, but these two examples are just insane.

Reply #63443 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

The All Star game is one that needs persistance, but with a difference to get a meaningful contest that actually IS a contest. How about the current Australian team versus an All Star team with retired national players such as Maher, some imports and special marquee players from O.S?

Reply #63444 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Interesting, although maybe more because of the double standard employed by the NBL regarding Maher than the decision regarding Ballinger.

The NBL count a game played when a player takes the court, not when they are suited up.

Maher has been allowed to qualify by "suiting up", rather than actually playing. Let's face it; no one gets a DNP - Coaches Decision in an All Star game so clearly Maher had no intention of playing, making a farce of him suiting up.

Not criticising Maher - its just another angle to look at the angle. To me, Ballinger has just been honest about his intent, Maher has manipulated the rule.

Here in NSW the Rugby League for years has had an "enforcement to play" rule regarding State of Origin - the NBL's rule is not that much different, just poorly applied.

Reply #63448 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Maher missed the game before the all star game though, making his a legit injury. It is not as though he has chosen to sit the game out as part of a grand scheme to avoid the all star game.

Reply #63451 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sure Kent.

Maher/Sixers manipulated the rule to their advantage if Brett comes up ok for the Pigs.

The NBL would have easily resolved the issue by applying their normal rule correctly - that is, if you play (as in get on court) you are free to play the next game. If not, then forget about it - then you know an injury is legit.

Its basically what rugby league does.

Reply #63453 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

No, Brett was already injured before the all star game. He missed the game against the Kings.

You seem to think that he sat the game out to avoid potential injuries or that he missed the Kings game so that he did not have to play in the All Star game?

Reply #63490 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I was surprised to see Maher suit up for the All Star game as it was previously stated that he couldn't play due to injury. As he missed the previous game against Sydney due to injury, how much proof does the NBL need to be convinced that a player is injured. As displayed in the All Star game, it is a total waste of time and a stupid risk to players at the most critical part of the season. To have penalties for not playing is ridiculous because no one takes these games seriously unlike the seriousness of the regular games at this late stage of the season. An injury at this stage could see a player out for the rest of the season (Rolan Roberts) and miss the finals series where they are needed the most. Lets face it, the competitors in this event are the best we have in the league and the ones who would be missed the most in case of injury. I say scrap this event. I don't think it did much to bolster interest in Basketball in this country as most of the media comments about it was detrimental and most of the fans that watched it either live or on Fox didn't like it.

Reply #63525 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I was surprised to see Maher suit up for the All Star game as it was previously stated that he couldn't play due to injury. As he missed the previous game against Sydney due to injury, how much proof does the NBL need to be convinced that a player is injured. As displayed in the All Star game, it is a total waste of time and a stupid risk to players at the most critical part of the season. To have penalties for not playing is ridiculous because no one takes these games seriously unlike the seriousness of the regular games at this late stage of the season. An injury at this stage could see a player out for the rest of the season (Rolan Roberts) and miss the finals series where they are needed the most. Lets face it, the competitors in this event are the best we have in the league and the ones who would be missed the most in case of injury. I say scrap this event. I don't think it did much to bolster interest in Basketball in this country as most of the media comments about it was detrimental and most of the fans that watched it either live or on Fox didn't like it.

Reply #63526 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Did not really matter they only beat Brisbane by 39.

Gong won the boards by 18 too.

Rucker only took 4 shots in 30 plus mins, why doesn't he do that against us?

Reply #63547 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Everyone is blaming the NBL for this rule...FACT IS EVERY ONE OF THE 11 NBL CLUBS AGREED TO IT!!!!!

The Gong are now bitching because they have been caught out on a rule they never thought they would have to abide by.

Hawks whining about being forced to play by the rules.......how unusual!

Reply #63552 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Oops...that should have been "never have to abide by"

Reply #63553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kent, I thought the same thing when I saw the box: Rucker and Black, 1 of 8 threes. Wish they'd do that against the Sixers.

Reply #63555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe bullets put more pressure on them defensively and caused them to go 1 from 8

Reply #63559 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Or maybe Adelaide is the team everyone strives to beat.

Reply #63564 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754