ifeelsore
Years ago

Farley dummy spits

That was one thing I noticed a bit last night-Farley and during some stages, Maher, appeared to be agitated (or as anonymous states-dummy spits) when a ball wasn't passed (or not passed as accurately as they would like)to them. This surely happens throughout all games (ie inaccurate passing/not passing when the ball is wanted all the time) but felt some tension between some of the players. At one point, not long after a pass from Dusty was miscued for Maher and they went to the bench for a rest, I saw Maher speaking in an animate fashion to Dusty. The lack of eye contact from Dusty was telling.......their normal cool, calm persona and team cohesion just didn't seem there. A deep seeded problem or just frustration from the last few games?????

Topic #5635 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

Both Farley and Dusty, on the offensive end at least, have not been playing their natural game for a number of weeks now. Why is that? Maybe they are not putting the effort it. Maybe there is an overall lack of team cohesion meaning some players like Dusty, Farley and perhaps Forman are not getting the ball in their favorite spots? Maybe Farley has been challenged regarding his shot selection and now feels like he can't play his natural game.

Basically, the team has been playing crap basketball for weeks. Many quality players on the team, for whatever reason, have been playing crap basketball for weeks. The team is losing big to good teams and playing ordinary basketball against bad teams. That would have to be frustrating, especially when individually and collectively, they should be playing better.

Reply #63629 | Report this post

panther lover  
Years ago

i agree with u on that jasmine. Farley is definately not looking to shoot first and is resulting in a turnover or a forced fadeaway under some pressure. He normally makes spectacular fadeaways when he is in some form. Rychart has just not been the same since his 44 pts against New Zealand. The team needs to let him do his work down low and clear out so he can go one on one or if double teamed pass to the outside for a jumper.

Last night was an alright win i guess coming off a 44 pt loss to Sydney. Hopefully they can build on this win and secure a top four spot. Because right now our position is being threatened .

Reply #63632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just for the imports.

" Spit the dummy. Baulk at, get angry about, or simply, obstinately refuse to do, something. A dummy is what some Americans call a pacifier, and when a baby spits the dummy it just can't be pacified "

Reply #63633 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

I suppose what I am saying is that it looked extremely unprofessional, something seen in a junior team lacking guidance in discipline and team respect. Team mates can be frustrating but spitting the dummy, and highlighting a perceived inadequacy of another team members game in a public and inappropriate way will not help the TEAM!

Reply #63636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think we should get off the teams back....they wil be working through this period as a unit....they probably all come on here to check if people are talking about them..and this sort of stuff isnt helping anything....speculation about whats happening within the team is irrelavant, we just need to rock to the games and cher them on...act the mindless fan

Reply #63638 | Report this post

what, so you've never been angry at a bad pass from your team mates? do you even play the game?

Jasmine says 'Many quality players on the team, for whatever reason, have been playing crap basketball for weeks'

maybe its time for a new coach?

Reply #63650 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

ELG....get over the new coach thing it aint gonna happen.

I think the guys would have been under ENOURMOUS pressure that night and it showed.

Could you imagine the response from the crowd worse the Media if the sixers went down!?!

I expected a hard-at-it game but should the sixers be jawing at eachother when theyve won 3-4 straight then there would be a little concern.

Reply #63664 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

frustration of loosing 5 straight thats all nothing more no need to try and make something out of nothing there is nothing to read into this at all

Reply #63673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dusty has been pretty solid - considering no plays are run for him he does well to get the numbers he does - very solid performace against Melb considering he was battling against bigger players as our centres were completely ineffective

Reply #63675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, Dusty only sixer in top 10 points per game and total rebounds. Give him a break.

Reply #63676 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah dusty has picked his form up and starting to go in the right direction. They should run that pick and roll for him more often. Other teams are not really hot on it and he always get a pretty good look or position.

Reply #63687 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Wow, all this talk about Maher spitting the dummy at Dusty, that seems very unlikely, does anyone know that is what was actually going on? Maher often looks frustrated when going to the bench, are you sure it wasn't him venting about the entire team or his own performance and Dusty just pondering what he has to do to get back into form? Appearances can be deceptive.

Reply #63688 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I've seen Maher getting frustrated with himself...not with his teammates. And NYE they would have all been pretty frustrated with themselves because their % age was pretty bad. Something like 28%. I reckon most people would have the shits with themselves if they couldn't sink any shots. Dusty was good for the high % age shots under the basket when he got the ball and made the best of it.
Glad to say it was GREAT to see Cooper take more shots in the 1st 6 mins than he has lately been taking for the whole game. (At least it looked that way.) He looked like he was really responding to being left off the starting 5 a couple of times in the last couple of games.
I also reckon sixers defense in this game was a HUGE improvement on recent games.
I can almost hear Phil saying 'that was an improvement from the last game'.
Just unfortunate their shots were so off.
I mean I recall not so long ago on here that 'defense was non existent' so maybe that's what they were concentrating on? If so, then it worked.

Reply #63701 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"what, so you've never been angry at a bad pass from your team mates? do you even play the game?"

-eastern lowland gorilla, this comment is interesting. I think the point being made was that YES, in every game bad passes from team mates are inevitable, it's the way to respond which was in question. Farley standing at the offensive end shaking his head (meanwhile the ball has been intercepted by West Sydney from a wayward Holmes pass)while the opposition are once again in offense is NOT playing as ateam in my books. "eastern lowland gorilla" - is that how you would behave and treat your team mates?????

Reply #63705 | Report this post

well farley doesn't play any defense at all, so whats the difference if he stands there and shakes his head or goes down and attempts to play defense

I can understand maher getting annoyed, but farley has no excuse. If he didnt shoot at 4/16 from the field that maybe people would pass him the ball more!

Reply #63738 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

he played D the first quarter. i did notice one time he was at the other end of the court by himself and brett called for him, then phil waved him to move. He is down but i just think he needs to pull himself out, no one can really do much for him he just needs to work it out. The thing that annoys me and most fans i would think is that even if he is shooting bad you can always play good D, i would rather him run around on his man and get 5/10 point for the night and wait for his shot to come rather than what we have now where he is stuck in the middle playing soft D and weak scoring.

Reply #63742 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, the team did have trainings last week that concentrated entirely on defense and were tougher than usual, so you're correct on that note.

Reply #63763 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

what about Farleys block when west sydney had the break, think it was the player who fouled unsportsmanlike on farley in 2nd half.

Now thats how you chase on D...

I think the main issue is that they are not really palying as a unit. Each player appears to be takng shots they have created for themselves, rarely sre there screens being used and players opening up off them. Early inthe season and even last season, Forman was hitting 50% of those shots from screen and not jacking them because he needs to hit one. Maher and farley the same, and if they missed guess who cleaned up, Dusty with assistance from Cooper.

sounds simple doesn't it...

Reply #63780 | Report this post

Thorney  
Years ago

Dana and Isaac. I couldn't agree more. There is no doubt the defence was great.
When your down, doesn't matter who you are, it's frustrating. I'm sure they'll sort it out and we'll see the team we had at the start of the season. I just hope it happens soon.
I think that while they know there shooting isn't the best they should also be concentrating on offensive rebounding more.
There are still moments of brilliance.

Reply #64052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:45 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754