Mutley
Years ago

Umpiring in other sports (feat. the Cricket!)

Has anyone been watching the Australia v South Africa Test match? If so you will have been treated to one of the worst displays of umpiring in professional sport that you will ever have the misfortune to witness. Anyone who could watch Aleem Dar's LBW verdict against Andrew Symonds and not be calling for cricket umpires to be replaced with a couple of coat racks and video replay has got to be out of their mind.

Cricket is one of those rare games where by the official can be COMPLETELY replaced by video replays WITHOUT disruption to the flow of the game. International cricket umpiring, particularly the great Billy Bowden, has gotten so bad that for the sake of the game, the players, and those watching it, MUST be replaced by replay technology.

This brings me to why I have posted this on a basketball site. Basketball is an EXTREMELY difficult game to umpire and while I have seen a number of average or below average decisions at NBL games this year, it is nothing close to what International cricketers have to deal with. There has been a bit of criticism of the younger Adelaide NBL referees, Phil Haines and Andrew Filmer, but to be honest these two guys have had excellent junior and ABL careers and, in my opinion, do a pretty good job in the NBL.

Referees, like players, take time to really develop at the NBL level, and I think that this fact is sometimes overlooked. Oscar Forman took 3 years to develop into a solid NBL player, Jacob Holmes 2, and Brad Hill in his second year is still doing it. Why should we expect anything different from referees?

(Mod: You're not getting many reads. Let's add the word "Cricket" to the title and see if that gets anyone in.)

Topic #5660 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Basketball is difficult to umpire but i can tell you now cricket is harder. I have done both, and cricket is much more difficult. Also in cricket the decisions affect the match alot more. A basketball ref makes a bad call it most often doesnt cost THAT much to a team. The problem with basketball refs is inconsistancy, if they call it at one end it MUST be called at the other.

Reply #64086 | Report this post

Pete Mitchell  
Years ago

Wrestling is harder to referee! You count "1...2...." and then someone hits you with a chair!

Reply #64090 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

In cricket, there is the "Benefit of the doubt" ruling, which says that if the umpire is in any doubt about a decision, it must go to the Batsman, meaning Not Out.

The Symonds wicket was not out in my opinion, but there was also the LBW wicket Warne took on Tuesday, which Channel 9's computer said was going to miss... thats 1 for, 1 against in my book.

Simply, if the computers and cameras weren't showing replays, we wouldn't know.

Just like all refs/umpires, everyone makes mistakes.

Reply #64098 | Report this post

typical supporter  
Years ago

Mutley,

How's about you look at the earlier appeals for Symonds wicket, not to mention the other dubious "not out" decisions that have gone Australia's way this summer.

Although I'm truly an Aussie supporter - I can't see how you can cry foul for bad umpiring, when Australia has certainly not had the raw deal this summer

One thinks you need to open your eyes or should I say your ONE EYE!

Reply #64171 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

for the symonds wicket, i agree not out

but the rule state, and quote

"If the ball strikes the batter on the pads on the full the umpire must adjudicate it as if it where to go straight on, regardless of the movement in the air and or the spin out of the hand, "

therefore umpire got it right

but its a farked rule that came in 4 years ago and strangely enough the only person to really benifit out of it is mutiah who has got 46 lbw that way

ICC constantly change the rules to favour the asian nations as does the nbl to favour the kings, this being done under the who "benefit of the game" bull shit

Reply #64330 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Well said Typical. Ponting and Hussey both should had been out (Plumb LBW) amongst others and I don't hear you winge about that. The umpiring has been poor but I guess we can add it to all the other sports that complain about it.

Reply #64342 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

guy on the radio just pointed out as far as "bad" decision have been in this current series

South Africa have been on the roar end of it 14 times to Australia 6

so typical dont cry foul infact austrlia should be happy with the bad calls they have had

Reply #64354 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754