Panther
Years ago

Sixers to sign Vin Baker!!??

This was reported on another basketball forum!!! That the sixers have signed former NBA player Vin Baker to play in Adelaide in season 06/07.
Is this the biggest load of crap or what???

Topic #5665 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

AGREED!!!

WHAT KIND OF TRASH IS THIS???

Reply #63983 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

What forum was it on?

Reply #63988 | Report this post

cheezekranski  
Years ago

is this the farley replacement?

Reply #63991 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Oh my goodness.. please no!!!!!!

I was a sonics fan (still am) through the Vin Baker days.. and Im not sure I could handle it all over again.

Reply #63993 | Report this post

Spit Kicker  
Years ago

Dusty replacement more likely

Reply #63995 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Vin Baker to sixers link:
http://forum.sportal.com.au/viewthread.aspx?t=54858&p=904990

Reply #63998 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

If that doesnt work.. try this link: http://forum.sportal.com.au/viewthread.aspx?t=54858

Reply #63999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

First I've heard of this. Probably a bit of a sneaky joke to try and encourage Dusty to take their low offer!

Reply #64001 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Some guy posted -
'baker would replace paul rees whos gotta retire soon..or better yet maybe replace holmes cos hes useless..all he does is persist with flat turnaround fadeways.'
Hmm... have they not heard of imports?

Reply #64005 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

What about Shawn Kemp as the second import?

Yes, you heard it first here. Tell your friends!

Reply #64008 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Shawn Kemp and Vin Baker as the Sixers 2 imports.. god.. the impregnator and the pilsbury dough boy - Adelaide wouldnt know what hit it.

What is it about Seattle that turns great players into tragic wrecks?

Reply #64009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Vin Baker related to Trevor Baker the scoretable/referee guy by any chance. Perhaps he has had a chat to him and convinced him to come and live here.

Reply #64021 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Vin baker would still only average 4ppg and 2rpg.

Reply #64024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look, this is never happening

RIDICULOUS

STUPID

NOT GONNA HAPPEN

i hope it does...

Reply #64036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely if this was gonna happen, there'd be WAY more hype. I mean, Baker IS a former NBA All-Star. It does seem pretty far-fetched though. Hopefully if he did come, he would turn up in shape and spend time helping the Sixers and not just hanging out in some bar somewhere, because I'm sure with his name recognition he could bring the Sixers a lot of publicity and sell a lot of tickets at The Dome.

Reply #64038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look heres some info,

The Houston Rocket Career of
Vin Baker

Position: Power Forward
DOB: Tuesday, November 23, 1971
Height: 6-11
Weight: 240 pounds
College: Hartford, 1993
Jersey Worn: #42

click on the headers to sort Vin's numbers by that category
Percentages and Per Game Numbers
Season G MPG FG% FT% 3P% Fouls DQ REB APG SPG BPG TO PPG
2004-05 3 4.33 20.00 100.00 0 7 0 0.67 0.33 0.00 0.00 0.67 1.33
Averages: 3 4.33 20.00 100.00 -- 7 0 0.67 0.33 0 0 0.67 1.33

Total Numbers
Season G MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3M 3A RB-O RB-D RB AST STL BLK TO PTS
2004-05 3 13 1 5 2 2 0 0 0 2 2 1 0 0 2 4
Total: 3 13 1 5 2 2 -- -- 0 2 2 1 0 0 2 4

He played for the Rockets, i even found a pic of him
http://www.clutchfans.net/playerinfo.cfm?PlayerID=241

The guy played 3 games at an average of 4pts

the guy would be too old.

Reply #64040 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

There's no way hes getting a gig in the NBA again.. he's burned too many bridges. Theres a good chance a deal is in the works with Sixers IMO.

Vin suffers has suffered from depression and alcohol problems - it wouldnt surprise me if he wanted to come down under as a change of scenery - and to perhaps finish his playing career on a good note.

Hes got a good heart, and is a gentle giant - but he definately used to have quite a few issues.

Reply #64041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/2000/vin120.jpg

for a seattle pic

Reply #64042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/vin_baker/

go to the official nba site (above)

pic and stats and allstar appearances all on the site

Reply #64043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2004-05
Statistics
PPG 1.3
RPG 1.40
APG 0.4
EFF + 1.33

that really sucks
i suppose thats better than having an import who couldn't even make the nba

Reply #64044 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Sedale Threatt was supposed to be a legit option a few years back, maybe some one has their wires crossed?

Sedale lives in Melbourne last i heard.

Reply #64048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well known fact in basketball all people with the surname of baker are related!!

Reply #64049 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

4ppg & 2rpg & replace Dusty? Hello.......... what's this world coming to?

Reply #64056 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Update me on his past? Why is he hated and shit?

Reply #64057 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

i missed it but on the game tonight kings v bullets carfino mentioned the 36ers had almost penned a signature of a former nba player for the next 2 seasons ???

can anyone confirm

Reply #64059 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, Dusty's NBA stats: 0 PPG, 0 RPG! Apples and apples please.

Reply #64062 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

That's funny Isaac, they're my stats also. And everyone else who hasn't played in the NBA.

Reply #64063 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The stock price of Coopers took a spike upwards with the rumour of Vin Baker coming to Adelaide.

Reply #64065 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just posted this on OzHoops and thought I'd dupe it here. Plus it's been months since I put a potential roster on paper for a bit of pre-06/07 guessing!

---

Here's why I think, as much as I am a skeptic, that this Vin Baker deal is remotely plausible (not likely, but remotely plausible!) - the Sixers need a centre of sorts, and Dusty is the only way they can free up money. Maher, Farley, Holmes and Hill are signed. They have offered Forman a two-year deal - young, room to improve, capped at 5 pts. They have offered Dusty a multi-year deal also, but from all reports, he's not impressed. And to be fair to the club, they have to try a low offer because otherwise they're going to be left with scraps to spend again.

Apart from Dusty, the other four are budget players. They'll go for Nash again from what I'm hearing because he's doing well for what they're spending. I'd imagine that they'd look to retain Cooper, but potentially as a backup. That leaves Rees and Hambour who are on the minimum or not far from it. If you want to get a centre upgrade, it's not going to come from what those boys are on.

So, as good as Dusty has been, the only opportunity the team will get to upgrade at the C if that's what they want to do, is going to come from that import spot and that salary. That's the brutal truth from the salaries and roster.

Maher/Gerlach
Farley/Hill
Nash/Ingles
Holmes/Forman
Import/Cooper

Gerlach and Ingles on minimum. Can either start Nash or Forman, or Cooper if you wanted.

All of that said, they've put an offer to Dusty, Smyth and Breheny are not known as big recruiters, and I just can't picture the club tracking down Vin Baker at a bar and him liking their cheque book. I can imagine Paul Bell, who was in the US recently, being proactive about it, but he's Dusty's agent, so I don't know how that would all work.

---

If they can keep Dusty, what prospects are there at the C in our price range? The only alternative I can see is that they pitch to an Eversteyn or similar with a promise of future opportunities. But is he going to give you enough output down the track?

Reply #64066 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Is there any word of the cap increasing for next season? In every other industry you can expect a pay rise each year to atleast help compensate for inflation. In the NBL it seems players are continuously being asked to take pay cuts.

I can just imagine them applying for a housing loan and saying to the Bank Manager "I need a loan that will allow me to reduce my repayments each year because my salary is going to decrease".

Reply #64068 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it did, I couldn't see it going up by more than 5% which won't really help our situation enough on its own IMO.

I think Dusty would be the only player marked for a cut first up because that's their only real chance to save money for other positions. Cooper and Nash would've taken low offers as it was. And Rees might be on his last year or if he took a cut it would be because he's finishing off his career. That's just how it is.

Reply #64070 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

"Update me on his past? Why is he hated and shit?"

-- Once he signed his big contract with Seattle, he seemed to lose motivation. He hit the booze big time, had depression problems and battled with his weight. At the start of every year he would say the same things: that this season would be different and how much work he had put in the off season, and how he was going to come ready to play - and then he'd just lug his overweight frame around court all season, never hustling or showing any real heart or effort. It drove th fans crazy, and it was party time in Seattle when he got traded to Boston.

Reply #64073 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I have heard from someone in Seattle however that he just opened a seafood restaurant in Connecticut. Apparantly he looks pretty trim at the moment also.

Maybe hes been working out, and really is keen to have a fresh start?

Reply #64075 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Why look at Vin Baker when Luc Longley wouldnt need us to burn an import spot. Tis would then let us go for another guard to help develop Brad Hill and give Brett a bit more rest - John Stockton is probably still in resonable shape!

Reply #64082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seafood restaurant. Phil Smyth. Sammy's on the Marina. Hmmm...!

Reply #64087 | Report this post

Years ago

Statman, I think Luc Longley retired from the NBA and received pension because of a back injury, so he might not be physically able to play.

Reply #64089 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

He receives a veteran's pension which would be worth a couple of mil a year to him...he's definitely not playing!

Reply #64113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just because the very small possiblilities of a veteran nba player might suite up the the sixers doesn't mean that others will just come along.

Stockton? Not likley. Most of them are FiNISHED.

I don't see having Baker will do much good for the sixers.

Ditch Rychart and Rees then coopers a backup to Baker, add another forward/guard (youth) like worthington if possible, put Forman in the forwards pos.

c Baker/Cooper
f Forman/ another youth player
f Holmes/ Nash
g Farley/Gerlach
g Maher/ Hill

not much of a bench but a terrific 3 pt shooting team and some good rebounders.

Holmes always gets good rebounds, Forman is tall, Baker would be an Anstey down low dominator.

Finally the sixers might have some strength and take on your Tigers and Kings ect.

Salary cap may be a problem.

Reply #64124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

however it is still not likley that Bakerr will sign, if an injury comes to someone the sixers will get tired because the bench won't be too good.

Reply #64125 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

It would be a shame to lose Dusty Rychart, who manages to post 20 and 10 even when he's playing like crap, especially for a guy who is a hundred years old, overweight, and NOT A CENTRE, as is the case with Vin Baker.

Isaac is right about someone like Eversteyn. Though I still don't see why we don't chase Jason Dix. Who cares if he hardly trains? It never used to bother the club when Darren Ng was on the roster. They should be able to work something out for Dix where by he can keep the job he has PLUS play NBL.

Giving up Dusty to get a centre would probably mean Jacob or Oscar moving to the 4 and that won't work either. It will just create a hole at a different part of the key.

The problem is Farley's two year deal. If they could cut him to get a centre then they could move Maher to the point, Jacob to the 2, bring Oscar in as the 3, Dusty the 4, then whoever after that.

All that said, if Hunter is in financial trouble, then Adelaide should be all over Gordie Cullen. Larry Davidson would also be a good fit in Adelaide.

Reply #64127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point but i don't think that we want hunter to leave....

although if they go into budget and has to ditch cullen then that would be alright

Reply #64129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mutley, you don't think Jacob can play the four? I think that's where he'd be best.

Reply #64132 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I too agree about hunting down Gordie Cullen, only took about 2 minutes into the Hunter game before I liked him. Pity he looks like a backstreet boy tho.

Reply #64134 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Apparantly Cullen is a bit of a headcase. Although he always seems to play well against us.

Reply #64135 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

My comments re Longley and Stockton were said with tongue planted firmly in cheek......I mean why would we go for Longley when Manute Bol is possibly available (although hasnt been seen on the forum for a while)

Reply #64142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vin Baker will not be signed...

Reply #64210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sure?

Reply #64211 | Report this post

Fennis Dembo  
Years ago

I am available.

Reply #64213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, would you stop replying to yourself? It's ridiculous.

Reply #64216 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

c Rychart/Cooper
f Forman/Cullen
f Holmes/ Nash
g Farley/Gerlach
g Maher/ Hill

I don't see Forman's future in any other spot other than 3 or sometimes a 4.

I know Rychart isn't the ideal 5 but Cullen, if he price is right(doubtful) would probably be the most ideal player to seriously look to get.

Gerlach obviously minimum, nash not much above minimum and Hill, you'd think would be inline for some incentive to remain long term sixer knowing in a couple of season Maher may wind down.

A team like this is young enough to stay together for a few years and build towrds more success. I think the Adelaide fans appreciate this style of team more than those that are together for one season and never seen again.

Reply #64219 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Does anyone actually know how long Cullen is contracted with Hunter for?

Reply #64221 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Isaac, yes I think Holmes can play the four, but I think he's more damaging elsewhere. Oscar is the same: he can play the four but causes more match up difficulties for other teams at the three, where he has the pace to defend a small forward, and at the same time causes a problem for most small forwards in the league who can't prevent him from getting his jumper off. Also, I think Holmes is too good a passer to be playing the four. All of the suggestions on my previous post follow the theme of us getting bigger, not smaller, which moving Holmes to the 4 would do. It's one of the things that makes it difficult for us when playing Melbourne or Sydney, in that we start those games down 15 on the rebound count. To me though, it isn't at the 3 or the 4 that we are getting beaten. We are weak in the middle, and that has been shown up more than in the past because Farley has played little perimeter defence.

Reply #64227 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

I suggested the signing of former genuine NBA talent on the Andrew Gaze message boards about...hmmmmm....5 years ago. Guess it took a while for people to catch on.

MrB

Reply #64244 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

Mr Black congratulations you have won the choice of a medal or a showbag?

Reply #64258 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Well it seems like he hasnt changed much! Willie's form slump would be welcome compared to what this guy would bring. This was from a Boston Newspsper recently:

While there have been some teams interested in bringing Baker in for a look, he has opened a restaurant in Connecticut and is, according to NBA sources, in no condition to play at that level.
Two sources say that in the latter stages of his career, Baker had taken to get part of his alcohol fix by drinking mouthwash.
"He thought he was fooling people because they couldn't smell the alcohol on his breath, just the mouthwash," said one.
Celtics personnel also reported Baker coming to practice smelling of mouthwash and unable to perform properly.
"When Houston let him go, there were some teams that checked to see how he was doing and if maybe he had gotten by his problems," said a league source. "But you could just look at his body and see how the alcohol had affected it. And Vin still hasn't really dealt with the emotional problems that are behind all this."

Reply #64271 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

the showbag!!!!!!!

Reply #64286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well he could be in a wheel chair an a former nba all star would still kill the nbl

Reply #64486 | Report this post

S.A  
Years ago

I dont think we should get rid of Dusty but if we need a new center maybe we should go for someone like Wade Helliwell

Reply #67045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754