Punter
Years ago

Olympic Referees

What did people think of the standard of umpiring at the Olympics? I thought it was pretty poor for a tornament of it's standard. Especially the Opals Gold Medal Game.

Topic #568 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree -- there were some terribly average calls made.

I remember one out of bounds call that was horrible. I think it was against the Opals at their offensive end. Penny Taylor ran into tough defense and had the ball stripped. One of the US players swiped at it and the ball deflected 90 degrees and went out of court. I think the ref was standing on the opposite side, but it was pretty clear that the ball had changed path and the only players near it who could've been responsible were from the US team.

Reply #5268 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i thought they choose the wrong reff for the opals gold medal game

Reply #5297 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think I could have done a better job than most those Olympic refs....it was really pathetic to watch.

Reply #5308 | Report this post

notch  
Years ago

I agree about the standard it was awful.

Andrew Gaze said that none of the top European refs were there as the European league is now not affiliated with FIBA.

Reply #5318 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

bottomline they are bad

Reply #5550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:01 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754