Quiet One
Years ago

Southern Tigers in Advertiser: Sport Confidential

Good to see our local basketball community gets a mention in the city paper- unfortunately not for the reasons wanted by most.

The Advertiser, Monday, January 16, 2006 Pg 42

"Welcome Matt".

Welcome to Adelaide. Southern Tigers BAsketball Association's new junior development officer and Morphett Vale Stadium manager Matt Alexander has had a rough introduction to life here.
The Warnambool-born former NBL player with Geelong, North Melbourne, Newcastle, Townsville and Cairns arrived in town on Saturday and had all his possessions stolen from his vehicle while he visited a friend at Glenelg. Among items lifted were his Australian blazer and other mementos.
Southern president Bill Hopkins said the club would run a BBQ and raffle to raise funds for Alexander to but some clothes but there would be no questions asked if the culprit returned the personal items. Hopkins can be reached on 8375 4000 during business hours.

Sad to see something of that nature happen. But welcome to the SA Basketball Community Matt anyway.

Topic #5803 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alexander played for the Mount Gambier Pioneers 1997-1999

Reply #65798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did and was a great player to have on your team? Does that mean he will also play for the Tigers?

Reply #65806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe it mean he is playing for the Tiger men!

Reply #65859 | Report this post

joshMJ23  
Years ago

no hes too old

Reply #65989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joshMJ23 are you too young?? How old do you think he is

Reply #65997 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Josh, just because he ain't 14 doesn't mean he's too old.

Reply #65998 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Matt Alexander isn't too old.

Reply #66033 | Report this post

The Drake  
Years ago

Matts only 29.....and its a certainty that he will suit up for the tigers this year along with several other new recruits.....don't be surprised to see some silverware heading south of the border this year !!

Reply #66081 | Report this post

not a good thing but shows him what life will be like down south!!!

Reply #66203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it happened at Glenelg, pls read before assuming old school - me from north not south too

Reply #66205 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

yes but will have to get use too it if living down south

Reply #66207 | Report this post

Tony Ronaldson  
Years ago

Matt played on the same state team as me. I am 34 this year. I did not Know he was 5 years younger. What a talent! Same age as Brett Maher i think!

Reply #66215 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Wasn't Matt Alexander the Vic Country or Vic Metro (my memory's hazy) "villain" in those epic U18 nationals held at Athol Park oh so many years back?

It seems like an eon ago: I think I remember Maher being in that team, and Chris Blakemore too, with Blakemore and Alexander going head to head in the final and coming out of the tournament as the next big things in Oz hoops.

Didn't SA lose the grand final to the Vics in a belter of a match? I think I even remember seeing footage of that game on the telly news the night of the final (!)

Who keeps boxscores of things like this? Basketball Australia? The Australian Bureau of Statistics? Chris Blakemore's mum?

Reply #66411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vic country

Reply #66512 | Report this post

kimbo  
Years ago

matt iz a great player and i think he will do great at southern tigers

p.s southern tigers rule

Reply #66607 | Report this post

didyouknow  
Years ago

think he might be playing for the girls. every time he gets a foul he whines like a girl may as well play with them.

Reply #73380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754