Anonymous
Years ago

Club Presidents

I think that the first step that will be taken by the BASA Administrators will be to sack all the club presidents.
They have always been out for there own interests and not for the game of basketball in this state.

Topic #5831 | Report this topic

tony blair  
Years ago

BASA can't sack the club presidents they are elected by their clubs.

the government or the adminstrators COULD revamp the structure of basketball

in the late 70s basketball was not travelling all that well financially in this state.

Jeff Carey and Dick Butler were appointed to reorganise the then ABA of SA financially and structurally.

in 1982/3 BASA as it is now was formed IMO they used the SANFL format and it works well for them and until the building of the Dome, the cost overruns, the 36er salary cap fines, the over the top salaries paid to the likes of Dunlap and then the pay out of players contacts etc it worked well here.

Don't forget we went from an association that owned outright apollo stadium, bought Athol Park to one heavily in debt.

Blame the building of the Dome, and the structure of the loan when it was taken out but back in the late 80s when those decisions were made they seemed sound. Apollo had concerts the place was packed to rafters and the sport was booming.

within 25 years we are back to square one except this time our debts are huge!

The presidents don't have too much to answer for the current ones at least are all at least working on the same page. it wasn't that long ago that the presidents voted no confidence in the board if you remember then had to reinstate them cause their were no other options.

Let us stop the finger pointing and oh woe it is me and start working postively towards making basketball healthy again.

Reply #66224 | Report this post

Bandit  
Years ago

Very well said - Tony Blair

Reply #66256 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

You can see why he's Prime Minister...

Reply #66301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Adelaide's club president was on the board of BASA. Brian Devey

Reply #66455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So!

Reply #66467 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

1: The Club President's shouldn't be sacked - that would do more harm than good - i reckon a "think-tank" of the presidents would be great. They've seen the troubles and likely causes...?

2: As a principle, I don't like the idea that there was a Club President on the BASA Board. This is purely based on the the idea that (IMO)decisions at that level need to be above and beyond reproach.

Reply #66486 | Report this post

Mr Hankie  
Years ago

Pickles housemate, He had to resign as president before he wentr onto the board.

Reply #66487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr Hankie you are incorrect. He did not have to resign as club president to be on the BASA board.
He is still president with the full committee backing.

Reply #66494 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

I always thought that to be on the BASA board you had to be a 'step' away from club affliation.

thought it was a requirement of appointment.

Reply #66495 | Report this post

Mr Hankie  
Years ago

Sorry Anon I stand correted. It was John from forestville, who resigned as president of forestville to take up a position on the board. Don't know if he was forced to or not.

Reply #66688 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

With reference to the South President, I was just repeating what I had read somewhere else... maybe one of Boti's articles (possibly)?

anywho...

Reply #66714 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754