Isaac
Years ago

Sixers options in the middle

Boti has a run through today (Big man high for Sixers) of potential replacements for Paul Rees. The names featured are Stiff (though he has an option with the Tigers), Hinder, Behrendorff, Moore and Rice.

He mentions that the 36ERS will probably look to retain Rychart, Holmes, Forman, Nash, Gower and Hambour of their current group.

And there's also Around the NBL for the week with the vital jokes aimed at Fisher, Stacker, Fisher again, and a nice bit about Willie Jennette:

SOUTHERN president Bill Hopkins was surprised on Monday when former clubman and one-time Gold Coast import Willie Jennette rang.

Having read of the plight of former NBL forward Matt Alexander - who moved here on Saturday and had all his possessions stolen from his parked car the same day - Jennette rang asking what size Alexander is and supplied him with shoes, clothing and training gear. In one swoop he proved he didn't only have great range but also a big heart.
And of course, a great paraphrasing of a classic line - Dealing with a sports administrator is like wrestling a pig in mud; after a couple of hours, you realise that you're both dirty, but the pig likes it.

---

Of those big men, assuming no financial or points cap constraints, who would you pick? The options again: Stiff, Hinder, Behrendorff, Moore, Rice.

Topic #5841 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore any time.

Reply #66267 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I like Hinder , because he's versatile.
Smyth likes versatile big men - Hinder can hit the glass and the mid range jumper quite well. He seems to be an eager rebounder too -something we are missing.

Reply #66270 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll run through the heights in case anyone wants to factor those in:

Hinder 208cm
Behrendorff 211cm
Stiff 205cm
Moore 205cm? (from memory?)
Rice 205cm

---

Hinder would be my pick. 27 years old. Has range (41% threes). Once you do consider the caps, he'd likely be a 10 (Boomer) and pricier than Behrendorff or probably any of those guys save for maybe Moore?

Reply #66272 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Behrendorff showed some ability against us, and would be a budget option id say

but hinder if available would be a solid fit for the coaching style of Smyth

Reply #66278 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Stiff definately.
He knows the system, and has had success here.

Reply #66280 | Report this post

ShutUp!  
Years ago

Hinder from this list, however I have mentioned the name Matthew Knight before, who is 204cm & 107KG's, he's playing for Loyola-Marymount in the NCAA and is from Tassie, so he has no local NBL team to come back to, so Pints & Salary Cap wise he should be reasonable value.
His starts for 2005/06 follow:-

GP FG FGA FTM FTA PTS AVE
18 116 212 64 101 296 16.4
OR DR TR AVE AS TO ST BK PF
61 110 171 9.5 14 27 23 14 38

Reply #66286 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Is Hinder really that tall??? Doesn't even look like a centre out there!

Reply #66294 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

I agree with you Isaac. Although Derek Moore is 31 years, he would fit better into the salary cap.
Russell Hinder is 5 years younger, would have more impact i think for the Sixers but too much, and money has to be a big influence, especially now.

Reply #66296 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

ShutUp!,

Knight is a Junior this season, meaning he's highly unlikely to be returning to Australia for the next NBL season. Perhaps after his senior year, but he's not a solution for next year.

Rice is a guy who has never lived up to his potential, IMO. He's a good shooter & solid enough on the boards. He might benefit from the 6ers style, which doesn't really require a big bruiser.

Having said that - with our recent free agent history, I don't particularly fancy our chances of getting any of them.

Reply #66304 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

id say Behrendorff, dont think theyd look at Rose, how old is he now??

Reply #66306 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Stiffy, he knows the system and would once again flourish in it.

Reply #66496 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Stiff will not be back here unless there is a change in the coaching ranks.

Reply #66536 | Report this post

auslot  
Years ago

i have heard something similar to your post izzy.

i thought the rumour was that stiffy left because he thought that i wasnt right that sapwell was let go for paul rogers

amongst other things

i doubt he wil be back

Reply #67035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754