Anonymous
Years ago

pioneers debt crisis

In todays local Mt Gambier paper the council intends to bail the pioneers out of debt which is nothing huge but is is interesting that they also have found that the previous president "acted with a degree of autonomy without reference to the commitee of management".

(sound familiar to anything happening at the moment)

for those who know this has been happening for a long time and should have been addressed a long time ago this also maybe the reason a lot of locals dont play anymore.

I wish Mr Starick and commitee all the best in cleaning up this mess left behind by the preveious president its about time this great club got back to being finicially stable again.

Topic #5842 | Report this topic

loacl fan  
Years ago

The board aren't blaming anyone for the state the club is in. The new board has a philosophy of being open, truthful and accountable. There is broad range of knowledge and business skills on the board now with a wealth of sporting experience including but not restricted to former coach Knight.
IMO opinion this is partly the reason why sponsors, players and volunteers are coming back in droves.
I reckon give them one last shot and if they get it right we all win.

Reply #66350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the board arent blaming anyone but the council sure is and rightly so maybe there is still some people on the board that were a party to previous troubles.

i have no doubt the club will climb back on its feet in a big way but i think you need to get back to reality if you think business and local players (that are ready to play at an ABA level) are coming back in droves your kidding your self. because every one business thats new to them there will be two thats been burnt by previous years.

all the quality people that were involved years ago wont come back because they were shafted. sorry to be negetive but thats the way it is.

like i said i really hope that organisation gets back on its feet in a big way that team is fantastic for the community.

Reply #66355 | Report this post

local fan  
Years ago

There is no value to anyone in playing the blame card. Sure recognise what was wrong and don't repeat it but move onward and forward.
You aren't an orphan being negative and probably not wrong but you also aren't being helpful and that is what's needed to make the club work not only turn up to games but support sponsors who support the game. There may not be too many locals that can walk straight into a starting five and you know what, I reckon coach Sedlock would have identified that by now. But that doesn't mean locals don't deserve a shot just because they have come through a local association.

As for your statement about 2 to 1 businesses climbing off because they have been burnt......turn up on March 3 I think you may be very surprised

Reply #66451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon
u have no idea what is going on! they have sold out of boxes for 2006 and will be building extra. these people that have been shafted in the past HAVE come back! so before u go being all negative make sure u know what u r talking about.

Reply #66987 | Report this post

Proud supporter  
Years ago

From Mt Gambier lifestyle magazine today, looks again like the local rag refuse to print the facts of a story even when they are told so.
Lift your game Moses

In reference to recent media comment regarding the financial position of the Pioneers Basketball Club Inc. I would like to release the following statement to our Sponsors, Officials, Members, Supporters and the general public.

The Current financial position of the Pioneers Basketball club is very sustainable. Whilst there was a large amount of outstanding debt when the current board was put into place in October 2005, the current board members have worked tirelessly to remedy the situation with the current status showing that if the club meets the objectives that have been set for this season the Pioneers will finish the year in a healthy financial position. At this stage all outstanding debts from last season have been paid in full with the only remaining outstanding account payable to the ATO. The club has been in touch with the ATO and has put a payment plan into place to repay this money; both the ATO and the Pioneers are satisfied with the payment arrangement that has been put into place. The acquisition of 13 new Corporate Sponsors and the retention of 33 loyal existing Corporate Sponsors combined with some fantastic fundraising activities and streamlining of the budget has already allowed for a great recovery and has paved the way for a long term future full of success for all involved. The Pioneers Basketball Club are here for the long term and will continue to focus on promoting Mount Gambier throughout it's interstate journeys throughout this coming season. The players will also, once again be involved in promoting a healthy active lifestyle and promoting basketball throughout the schools in Mount Gambier and surrounding districts. The club will be running a halftime competition during home games, at no cost to the schools this season, and will be encouraging all schools to participate.
The current board of the Pioneers Basketball Club have not made any previous board members accountable for financial matters and the focus of the current board is not to dwell on the past but entirely on building a sustainable long term future for the Pioneers Basketball Club and ensuring that whilst home or interstate, the team represents and promotes the community in a way to encourage success for the community, tourism, the club sponsors and encourage basketball as a safe enjoyable sporting activity.
In reference to assistance from the city council, the Pioneers Basketball Club would accept any form of assistance to help further strengthen the club and allow our players to continue with community activities as in previous years. At no stage have I or any other board member gone to the city council and asked for financial assistance. I believe that any financial assistance from the local government can be greatly returned in utilising the Pioneers basketball club within the community and local education system. The Pioneers Basketball Club in recent years at no cost has assisted community activities such as: school clinics, coaching @ the Tennison College Basketball Academy, various community events, assisted the local basketball association with coaching clinics, speaking a youth awareness seminars, etc.
The Pioneers Basketball Club hope that the focus from within the media and the community can be to encourage the people of Mount Gambier and surrounding districts to come along to our home games and support the community's' National Sporting Team. We look forward to a great season which commences on Friday March 3rd at the "Ice-House". Can't wait to see you all there !!!!!

Thankyou,
Darryl Starick. Chairperson  Pioneers Basketball Club

Reply #68416 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754