Bizzy
Years ago

Antonio Davis Suspended 5 Games

What are people's opinions on this? Davis went into the stands as he thought his wife was in trouble.

I tend to think that 9/10 people would probably have done the same thing. I know I would.

Davis is also now going to be sued by the fan.

Davis Suspeneded for 5 games

Davis having law suite filed against him

Scoop Jackson's opinion

Topic #5855 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

Given what happened last year, I wouldn't have been shocked to see a 10 game suspension. But I think 5 is about right. It was a tough situation for Davis, but he has to be suspened. The NBA did the right thing.

Reply #66515 | Report this post

Years ago

5 games is pretty harsh. I think a fine could have done considering Davis wasn't going in to attack anyone. The lawsuit is a bit much as well. Again, Davis never took a swing at the guy or anything, so suing isn't really necessary. Plus, the guy in the stands started it all, so he hardly has a right to press charges in my opinion because he just bought in on himself.

Reply #66516 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

What would happen in the NBL if something like that happened here? Are there similar regulations in place here?

I do think anyone would do the same in that situation, I wonder what really happened with his wife though. Sounds like 2 completely different version of events.

Reply #66517 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Get the fan off this planet. Maybe the wife touched him, maybe he was intimidated by Davis, but to bust out a whiney $1m lawsuit is opportunistic and pathetic.

From Scoop:

Davis got suspended for five games. Justified. No argument. But this isn't about the punishment. The suspension isn't the issue. This is the issue: If you're driving your wife to the hospital and her water breaks on the way, you're going to run that red light and accept the consequences.
Plus:
And to be brutally honest, this entire episode would not be top-of-the-hour SportsCenter news if nothing had happened at the Palace last year. Leading me to believe that this media reaction has more to do with that than it does with an incident between Kendra Davis and a fan who might have been drunk.

Reply #66518 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I guess as Scoop said "you run the red light and accept the consequences" and unfortunate as it is for Davis in the States these days the fan will probably win his law suit. Whether or not it happened won't matter the US legal system generally likes to make stands against Athletes - majority black too.

Reply #66521 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I would have done the same!

Anyone with video footage?

Reply #66525 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

The links above have some short video footage.

Reply #66528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

got to ask

what was he doing in a very close game watching his wife in the crowd

isn't he paid to play basketball?

Reply #66540 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

What a stupid thing to say Bizzy ...!
"Whether or not it happened won't matter the US legal system generally likes to make stands against Athletes - majority black too."

Dont go back to the old Bizzy who just pulled random shit out of the air. Shouldnt talk like that - especially around Martin Luther King day , theyll lynch ya !! ;)

Reply #66541 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

66540, watch how often Lleyton Hewitt looks at his coach and/or Bec during a game. Maybe there was a gap in play and it was just something that he noticed.

Chris Rock at the Golden Globe Awards: "Don't worry, you only have to pretend to like black people for another two hours!"

Reply #66544 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Skyhook, that didn't exactly come out as it was supposed too when I re-read it. Whoops.

Anon, I would think that majority of athletes be it bball, tennis, nfl etc. If the players family is in the crowd they will be looking at them at some stage throughout the game. Davis just happened to look when there was an altercation.

Reply #66551 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I know these days most people would probably think that the punishment is fair enough but i think things have been taken too far and that you need to be able to reason with people. Things like this and the Mo Peterson slapping Vince Carter thing makes me think if they just listened to why the players actually did this and realised that these people are human and do have a life outside basketball, and im not saying nothing should be done, running into the crowd is obviously going to disrupt the game, but i think a fine would have been much more suitable rather than suspension.

Reply #66562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would get annoyed if a person kept on standing up in front of me.
The video footage shows his wife acting like a fool.

Reply #66584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From reports on sportscenter Davis saw something going on earlier so he kept checking things out up her way. He saw this fan push her and intimidate her and like any husband or partner went to her aide. They had to suspend him but i'm sure he would accept the fine without any issue.

Reply #66592 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I think its stupid that someone should get punished for doing something that the security at the game should of done.
If there was a problem that was noticable from infrequent glances up into the crowd, then surely someone should've noticed and put a stop to it before a player has to run up to stands to stop it.

Reply #66594 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

Noone disagrees with Davis's actions however the NBA had to take action, the league must enforce to the players that they must not enter the stands.

Reply #66667 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

but shouldnt a fine be more appropriate than suspension?? Now the team is getting punished......

Reply #66760 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

No because the players know that fines of 10,000 are like water of a ducks back

Reply #66928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754