Bear
Years ago

Remember the Boxing Day game?

Do we all remember the game on Boxing Day in 1998? Adelaide v Titans, Brett and then D Mee scored in the last 30 seconds to win by just two points in a thriller.

10,000 people at the game and this was going to be a long standing tradition.

How things have changed in 7 years

I say "Bring back some rivalry games" maybe boxing day games in Adelaide v the new Vic team?????

any other sugestions

Perth?

Topic #5916 | Report this topic

Doctor E  
Years ago

Funny you mention it. The Dragons are set to host the Tigers in an open air game at Vodaphone next season.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/basketball/dragons-keen-for-early-blockbusters/2006/01/22/1137864806700.html

"Cowan is keen to make the Boxing Day match open-air with the roof rolled back at Vodafone, a concept that worked at Rod Laver Arena in the 1990s. The Tigers' traditionalists, led by then coach Lindsay Gaze, did not support the idea, but the new decision-makers at Melbourne are expected to throw their weight behind it."

Reply #67275 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

Agree that the NBL should introduce some traditions into the NBL but it doesn't necessarily have to include the Sixers.

Boxing day should be the All-star game as it is about half way into the season or have the two semi finals (or grand finals sides) sides from the previous year play. The games could become like a NBC Christmas night NBA double header but on Fox.

The Adelaide 36ers vs. Perth Wildcats rivalry should be played up a lot more for the print and TV media (like Collingwood vs. Carlton and the Showdowns are in the AFL) The NBL could introduce a rivalry weekend and have all the local derbies on the one weekend.

Reply #67276 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I'm not really a fan of it but Adelaide do have a traditional New Years Eve game every year, although not against a traditional rival.

Reply #67278 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

Doctor E

Was that New Years Eve match by pure good luck or good management on the NBL behalf? But saying that it a good start and future events should continue to be introduced on the NBL calendar.

Every side should play a home and away community game for example the Sixers could play a home community game in Mt Gambia vs. the Tigers and an away game in Darwin vs. Perth. And if every side played 1 home and 1 away game as a part of the community weekend it will help build a supporter base for fans who have never had the opportunity to go to a game.

Reply #67281 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I guess they tried a game on NYE and considered it successful so they continued with it.

Personally, I'd like a game on Christmas night, but I doubt it would work. I'd be the only one turn up.

Reply #67289 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Great idea to have the 'event' and try to form rivalry like in the AFL.

A good crowd at the last open air game, but a distinct disadvantage to teams like the 36ers who have an outside game.

Basketball (at NBL level) was never intended to be played in an environment where the wind has to be taken into account for a three pointer!!!

Sure, promote a rivalry and have the game at a large venue................but have a roof on it!!!!

Reply #67290 | Report this post

Would boxing day work in melbourne? There is a big cricket game that day.

Reply #67301 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

There idea behind it initially was to get people to flow on from the cricket to the bball, IMO I can't see it happening unless you offer $5 tickets to cricket ticket holders or some sort of deal both sports for $$.

Reply #67350 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I like the idea of having a rivalry weekend in the NBL. Maybe even have throwback jerseys or something like that.

Reply #67385 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Lets run with the rivalry weekend, who would we see play each other...for mine.....

Adelaide vs Perth (even though this rivalry has died off over the last couple of years)

Sydney vs West Sydney

Melbourne vs Dragons (I beleive there is already a bit of feeling between the 2 camps)

Wollongong vs Pirates (provided Newcastle hang on)

Cairns vs Townsville

and that leaves Brisbane vs New Zealand. No real rivalry there, but I am sure something could be manufactured :)

or alternatively swap to Brisbane vs Perth (the Stephen Black thing) and Adelaide vs New Zealand

Reply #67401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754