Anonymous
Years ago

Rating Burton

There has been alot of debate over Burton and i think that he has been okay but just not good enough.

I heard the interview on COAST FM'S TALKING HOOPS and al he was talking about was coffs harbor. No FTA. I really wanted to hear his say...

Anyway, lets look at the good, bad and AWFUL

Good things: He brought in the All*Star Game, Pre-season Blitz, many more major sponsors, Singapore Cup and more.

BUT, he is obviously not doing too well, where is all the money going?

The problem is that teams are getting poor or went broke because he didn't market the league enough. The AFL help teams out but Rick never helped the Giants or Hunter, when they had to be sold. BSA is down 12 mil and Burton hasn't sent in any help!

Giants should of gone poor, pathetic stadium, went by bus, giving all players cheap contracts except Marcus Wrights son.
Did the NBL help??? NO!!!

Okay, with Burton they lost FTA. ABC why did they leave? Not Rating enough? They have the WNBL on!

Sponsorship: B+
Nike, McDonald's (All*Star Game)
Virgin Blue Velocity (the last All*Star Game) ABC, AXA, Harvey Norman (Singapore Cup) plus many more...

Broadcasting: D-

Only because of Fox doing 2 live games a week plus a tv show and Radio 2 having a show in radio.
Must get FTA!

Fair to all teams: C-
Un-fair to the 36ers alot and mainly giving the eastern states advantages. Will the Blitz or All*Star Games ever come to Adelaide or Perth? New Zealand?

Probably Hobart, Canberra or somewhere that would have a b-ball stadium in the eastern states before finally letting the Sixers get it!

Keeping teams in the comp: D+

Not very good but atleast they have the Dragons coming in. Too good to be true having 12 teams?
No, maybe Hunter might not be there. It would just be another REPLACEMENT! Lets hope the NBL can help Hunter and even the Sixers.
Imagine only 10 teams in the league, no Sixers or Hunter!
Burton, HELP teams in finacial situation.

New ideas: D+ Some good ideas, the Blitz, All*Star game and singapore cup but they need some more intersesting stuff.

Crowds: D- Not much he can do but marketing, giving away prizes and tickets and an NBL store in Sydney or something might just help get more people. The Tigers only get around 2,200 people each game, i blame the bad stadiums, the State and Netball Hockey Centre can only fit that much. Every game sold out!

Stadiums: D+ Melbourne 2,200 capacity, West Sydney aroud 4,000 Challenge stadioum only has 400 more than WSR. Just not good enough, yes they want atmosphere and not too many seats without bums on them but it's just not good enough. NSW has 4 teams, QLD has 3, could have a fourth though.
Spread them out more, like replacing Cairns and put them in Canberra, replace WSR and put them in Hobart, more likley to have more bums on seats. The stadiums overall are okay, but each stadium should have a replay screen. USE technology.

Improvements: C+ Not as good as Burton could of mde it and he only really put things back in rather than having some completely new stuff. Singapore Cup is pretty dull compared to wht he could do.

Overall Rating: C-

Anyone who wants to debate me, they can but this is my view.

Topic #5934 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Sponsorship is one thing, but at what price is it coming in? I've seen figures for NBL sponsorship in the past (insecure NBL/BA websites, tsk tsk - a bit of directory pruning is basic stuff) and it was lower than I expected.

e.g., I could give up sponsorship of this site for $1 and then trumpet that I've brought in a sponsor.

I'd like to see them centralise some technology for use by clubs, without giving the keys up to Sportal. Things like statistics, photos, video, etc. I've recently begun to wonder if the concept of FTA isn't just a bit of a distraction. Get into junior clubs and market directly to people who already follow and play basketball. It's concentrated and affordable.

A lot of this is the job of clubs and not the league, but the NBL can provide a lot of support - centralised technology as I said, maybe a roaming couple of PR/ticketing experts who work 2-3 weeks with a club and then move to the next one (I've mentioned this in more detail here or on OzHoops before), etc.

Reply #67478 | Report this post

Maybe?  
Years ago

What's with all this rubbish about FTA. It didn't work when basketball had a huge profile so why would it work now. We need to raise the profile again through more development and kids taking up the game, new teams (eg Dragons) and expansion (eg Singapore, Darwin). Even then FTA is a long shot - I think we should be very happy with the FOX coverage. And don't anyone whinge about not being able to afford - go down to your local and watch it.

Reply #67480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you would of thought you could see replays! Maybe 10 at night who cares. SBS even!
FOX is okay but people want to see SOMETHING, i have FOX though.

Anyway, i think all FTA would do is give the NBL more support and more people would then know what it is.

I think more interviews on FTA and stuff would be good in the NEWS. Say c'mon down, special ticket prices. That would bring extra people down. "hey son, we haven't gone to one for ages, do you want to go?"
This would happen, half the parking prices just for one game and bingo, extra support. They like it, maybe tell there friends, go to more matches.

TALK of NBL. People going. I think that is what is desperatley needed.
10pm nights of nbl won't do much good for the support of b-ball, only letting people who cares about it have leasure in seeing it.

Reply #67481 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I dont see why teh nbl doesnt sanction say 30k per team for the club to pay a couple of players to go visit schools and do clinics etc etc (on top of their playing salary without it affecting teh cap)

How good would it be to have say Oscar and Brad going around to visit a schools once or twice a week in season. Just running a short clinic and seeing the kids would get them all exited and the flow on effects of increased participation and coming to games would be instant. The A League are doing it so lets not get left behind!

Reply #67486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, they already do a bit of this (well, the Sixers do - not sure about other clubs), but you could always add a bit more.

Reply #67487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree,

get cooper and holmes
forman and hill
maher and rees
farley and rychart
get nashy in there too with one of them.

3x2=6
6 schools per week. in a season maybe 30+ schools.
could get 60-100 extra supporters.
may even pay itself off, well... not likley but i think it would be worth it.

maybe not 30k
possibly 20k
i think clubs would do it. Give away some special free tickets. maybe like 10 dollar ones or something but it would definatley be a good idea. Also get the sixers to promote the sixers game by visiting say 5AA sport show, Mix 102.3 ect.
Definatley get sixers in to the hoops show n coast fm and take the calls of people and give away maybe half price discounts or something, 1 ticket when you buy another.

THIS IS BETTER THAN NOTHING!

Reply #67489 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Isaac, that is very true re the sponsorship. I have always thought there was a fair chance that the NBL has taken sponsorships at low levels, and this is not necessarily the positive that it appears.

I'm glad someone else has the same concerns, I was thinking I was being perhaps too negative towards Burton.

Reply #67498 | Report this post

puzzled  
Years ago

I guess its ok to focus the responsibility simply on Burton, but I suspect he is answerable to the club owners by and large, and he finds himself managing a sporting competition that is not making enough money to keep itself afloat  the clubs can't, so how can the NBL? I am sure he can't tell clubs where to play, but he might tell them where not to play?

The Clubs, with mostly not making money, are and act as essentially private enterprises, with a major exception here of the 36ers, and are no doubt reluctant to support national advertising or marketing campaigns, especially if they won't add immediately to their bottom lines. Perhaps they prefer to see any NBL sponsorship money reducing their costs, not growing their revenue? Perhaps they should pay a fixed amount per annum into a central budget for nationally weighted locally placed marketing campaigns  just like a McDonald's franchisee?

Sponsorship values too are a difficult issue. The value of a sponsorship seems to be set by demand from the market, and I don't suppose business has been knocking down doors to sponsor the NBL? However, if the AFL gets $6.0 million a year for its domestic competition, and Cricket Australia gets $1.7 million per year for the Pura Cup, with no TV coverage, how much do we think the NBL should get?

The suggestion that by regaining FTA coverage the sport will get back to where it was feels a bit naïve? As someone suggested, it didn't rate when the sport was flying, and well before Pay TV started to make inroads into the FTA audiences, so what will have changed? Is it reasonable to assume that, as good as it is, the WNBL coverage has as much to do with ABC policy and gender equality as televising elite sport?

Maybe the focus should be on making the Foxtel coverage a whole lot better  as we have seen this year at home games the atmosphere at games can be great, but this rarely if ever translates into better television coverage of matches? How can this be done better?

Maybe Foxtel can give every club 100 DVD copies of every televised game, which could then be distributed to junior clubs, along with discounted or group tickets and perhaps discounted Foxtel sign ups?

Whatever happens, I think that restoring the sport financially and commercially is a going to take some time, and a lot of money - and more people than Burton...

Reply #67504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed.

Reply #67508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous who started this topic, the teams bid for the All*Star Game and the Blitz. The NBL just does not run it where they fell like. West Sydney is running next seasons blitz because they thought of the idea to take to a country town (well city). It also takes allot of money to run the All*Star game, money that the Sixers, Perth, New Zealand might want to spend on other things. With FTA, next season the A-League may play one match a week on FTA although they have a deal with FOX. Why couldn't the NBL do this as well?

Reply #67603 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because the NBL have SFA negotiating power. Anyone is able to dictate on their terms. If Fox says "exclusive live contract" the NBL, with no strong alternative, goes with it.

For that reason, I'd focus on areas where they DO have control.

Reply #67641 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As to the original post...FTA was gone long before Burton came into the CEO role.

As fir pouring money into ailing clubs...2 points I would like to make

a) Burton never has, and probably never will give clubs direct financial aid. The last occurence of this from memory was Peter Ali gave cash to the Razorbacks to survive. That is the way it should be. The NBL is a league that is supplied for clubs to play in. Management of local clubs is best left to the local club level.

b) The 36ers are NOT losing money. BASA lost money. They are 2 very separate identities, just that BASA owns the 36ers. The profits the 36ers make (and yes, there normally is a profit) is channeled back to the owners, in this case, BASA, who then do whatever the blazes they have or have not done with the money.
As for crowd sizes, I think you will find they have either stayed static or slightly increased under Burton's reign. The major drop occurred when Ali was in charge.

As far as the NBL having the WNBL on, the ABC has a mandate that states they must provide coverage to "lesser" womens sports. Basketball happens to be a decent TV spectacle generally, and is similair to netball, which allows them to keep the same production teams and styles when they switch from one code to the other (that is an assumption by the way)

As for keeping in teams. If clubs cant financially manage themselves, what else is the league meant to do? The Hunter / Canberra license has been trouble plaugued for a number of years, generally because they have tried to come in without much in reserve. Ask Eddie Groves (Brisbane owner) he struggled for years financially with that team...but perservered, and now has a relatively successful (financially) franchise. If only the team he buys could produce what they should be :o)

Reply #67675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #128780 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754