thedoctor
Years ago

CELTS/WOLVES TRADE

Jan 26, 2006 10:20pm ET
Celtics Send Davis to Wolves in Seven-Player Swap
"The Celtics have reached agreement tonight on a trade that sends Ricky Davis, Mark Blount, Marcus Banks, Justin Reed and two future second-round draft picks to Minnesota for Wally Szczerbiak, Michael Olowokandi and rookie Dwayne Jones," writes Steve Bulpett of the BOSTON HERALD.
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=123127

Topic #5939 | Report this topic

michaelredd  
Years ago

noooooooooooooo i loved wally at the timberwolves

Reply #67521 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

End I always thought they would have traded Pierce first.

Will be interesting to see how Wally goes.

Reply #67527 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I think the Celtics have traded away too much .

Davis and Blount for Wally and Olowakandi -- is fair , BUT then you have Banks and Reed PLUS 2 future second round picks for JONES?

Danny Ainge is playing a dagerous game IMO. It could pay off if Wally can stay consistent (not like first 10 games this yr!!)

Reply #67532 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Wally has really hit some form. He's now avearaging 20ppg for the season. Don't know what the trade will really do for either team though. I suspect they will remain .500 teams or thereabouts

Reply #67537 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Woah, being a huge celtics fan i'm actually all over this trade, obviously i want to reserve some sort of judgement until i see how the team re-adjusts but there is some serious things for us to like about this trade. If anything it shows that Ainge is looking towards the future. This is how I break it down from a C's perspective.

Outgoing:
Firstly getting rid of Blount is the best thing that could have happened, horrible defensive player, horrible hands, horrible attitude and he was taking away minutes from Al Jef and Perk. That he's gone is a great thing. Secondly, getting rid of Ricky kinda sux but at the same time his trade value probably will never have gotten any higher than it is now and it we were going to have to get rid of something significant (i was just hoping it wouldnt be pierce in order to get rid of blount or raef). Getting rid of Banks (he was already traded once to LA) and Reed is no big loss, Banks never really stood a chance of getting any minutes here with the emergence of D.West but i believe that he has the potential to make it in a nba teams system somewhere, just not at Boston. Reed on the other hand i wasnt a big fan of, I dont think he's cut out for the NBA and my guess is he'll drop out of the league soon enough. The two future seconds doesnt hurt considering how many picks we have coming up in the next few years and how we got a first coming back... not quite sure (dont know the details of that pick yet).

Incoming:
Kandy, he's an expiring contract, and if you ask any celtics fan thats all they'll care about. If he can rebound a bit and play defense for us then all good. Wallys been playing well lately and i think he will fit in well for us, him and Pierce together is potentially a very good combo. He should get some good looks for us, and his decision making is better than that of Davis (imho). Dwyane Jones, who's that, lol, I dont really care, all i know is he's playing in the d-league so he shouldnt take a roster spot. Advantage in trading for less players is that a roster spot opens up for us so hopefully Gomes will see some more playing time now that Reeds gone or maybe Gerald Green will get recalled from the d-league.

So yeah, looking at the positive sides of it i'm pretty happy with it, no more Blount!!!

(Mod: Nice hefty post.)

Reply #67541 | Report this post

I think the Celtics have done very well out of this trade.

Reply #67548 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

Very even trade...had no idea Ricky Davis was on the trading block or the celtics were after Wally. T'Wolves improve defensively and become more athletic and the celtics free up some time for their emerging players and get a proven 20 a game scorer in Szcerbiak

Reply #67555 | Report this post

u meow  
Years ago

According to.....

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press-transaction012606.html

....Minnesota have also given away a future first round draft pick, which makes the deal even more delicious. I think this deal is nothing short of fantastic for the C's. Managed to off load some duds and their ego's & gain a great return. Good bloody riddance to Blount hooray!!!!

In other breaking news, Oprah has 'opened a can of whoop ass' on one of her guests.

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/bookNews/view.bg?articleid=123158

Reply #67558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think this works well for both, KG gets some good help, while Boston gets a fresh team that can shoot.

Although you would think that Boston lacks the hight...

Reply #67570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754