skip
Years ago

Rodman looking to comeback

From Fox Sports

Cant see it happening myself.

DENNIS Rodman wants to return to Brighton Bears next month to use the British Basketball League (BBL) as a springboard to an unlikely National Basketball Association comeback at the age of 44.

Rodman made his BBL debut for the Bears on Sunday (AEDT), three days after being evicted from the Celebrity Big Brother television show.

He scored four points and grabbed seven rebounds, three in the final 80sec, with the game on the line, as the Bears recorded a 91-88 victory over Guildford Heat in front of a 1700-strong crowd at Brighton Triangle.

"At the end, I knew we were going to win as long as I got the rebound," Rodman said.

"Those rebounds are easy. If I want to do it, I do it. That's not a problem for me.

"I'm not a shooter. If I miss, I miss. My game is defensive rebounding and when you wanted those crucial rebounds, I did it."

The former Chicago Bull, who proved a popular figure with the capacity crowd, is keen for Brighton to exercise an option to use him for two more matches, a league game against the Newcastle Eagles at the larger Brighton Centre on February 14 and at Wembley Arena, in a rescheduled match 24 hours later.

"It's a team game and next time I come here I'm going to be way better," Rodman said.

"I'm not going to have a situation where I've been locked in a house for three weeks.

Advertisement:
"I hope there is a next time. If there isn't, I'll move on. I'm taking my ass home and be back hopefully in two weeks.
"London is a good city. I've nothing bad to say about the people here.

"Everyone's been very courteous. I don't kiss anyone's ass. If I think something, I say it, but you guys have been very nice to me and I want to come back and repay the favour and all the things you guys have done for me.

"If I worked out consistently for a month, I think my body is in very good condition. I just need to get the fundamentals back. "If it happens, it will be a mark in history."

Rodman, a forward who won five NBA titles with Detroit Pistons and the Bulls, has not played in the NBA since quitting Dallas Mavericks in 2000.

A successful return for Rodman would make him the oldest player in the league's history.

Robert Parish was 43 when playing with the Bulls in 1996-1997.

Topic #5975 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

"If I worked out consistently for a month, I think my body is in very good condition.
Of course, he said that with a cigar in hand...

Reply #67834 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Have a look at this for a report on the game, includuing how he turned up late and blew foul shots that could have won the game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/basketball/4660700.stm

Reply #67835 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Don't we hear this every six months, Rodman, Kemp anyone else we should know about Hakeem perhaps?

Reply #67836 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

nah, Hakeems gonna sign with the Dragons :-)

Reply #67840 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Our leaugue would have to be better than the British one. Rodman would be a great draw card. Someone wanna give him a call...

Reply #67841 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A great plan, but I think he got paid the equivalent of about AUD50-60,000 for that one game!

Reply #67846 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

worse comes to worse - Rodman would make a great Navy Seal! Imagine the Trash Talk he could generate, and best of all, he would volunteer to wear a girls skirt, saving Bizzy the trouble -- lol!

Somehow I think the Australian lifestyle would not be in keeping with Rodman's lifestyle though....

Reply #67847 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

There was talk of Karl Malone returning to the Jazz . Help Kirilinko out for a bit.

It was just talk . Or "yang ass" as they say in Louisiana.

Reply #67859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

44 and trying to start the NBA career again... what was he before a WCW wrestler? a rapper? lol, i know he was in the NBA for a while but he aint going back... especially since he retired. The british lead must be pretty shit if a 44 year old man who hasnt played in the professional leagues for 7 years just jumps on a team and grabs 7 rebounds.

Reply #67872 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

He may be 44 and too old to play in the NBA, he may be a freak, he may have absolutely every screw in his head loose....but id still back Dennis Rodman to grab 7 boards a game.

Reply #67905 | Report this post

Years ago

I hope Rodman does make a comeback. He's my favourite player ever. Despite his past battles with alcohol, he's always been fanatical about working out, so he should still be in good shape. When he was young, he had Olympic standard athleticism. He'd obviously have lost some of this, but he should still have the ability to keep up with guys in the NBA. It's all about whether he's gonna be 150% commited to it all again. Hopefully he will be so we can see the greatness of 'The Worm' grace an NBA floor once more.

Reply #68075 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Dont see it happening, he's too old. Unless an NBA team has a LOT of faith in him i dont think he will make it.

Reply #68094 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

7 day contract, for a bit of a laugh? I would love to see it but theres no way it would happen.

Reply #68101 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Ha ha .. made you read it Cheeze !!

Reply #68117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well the british league is very shit...its probably worse than abl here and if rodman doesnt score 40pts and 30rbs in 10mins then he isnt going anywhere near the nba

Reply #68128 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

The Bobcats could have used him the past 11 games

Reply #68149 | Report this post

Years ago

No one in the NBA will be looking to offer Dennis Rodman a contract at 44. More injury prone no matter how good his body's condition is. To add to it, injury would take longer to recover. So i'd say forget it.

Reply #68238 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754