Anonymous
Years ago

Number of listeners??

Does anyone have a vague idea of the number of listeners that tune into Belly on Talking hoops? It is an interesting topic...who listens to it, maybe we could get a rough idea..who knows?

Whats your thoughts?

Topic #6009 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

i do

Reply #68187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Station figures apparently suggest that approx 25,000 are lsitening at any one time

Reply #68189 | Report this post

cosmo  
Years ago

If it is any indication, when in a stadium on friday night most people will talk or ask if i heard such and such on there, i think the greater percentage of the basketball community are listening in, and lets face it its a large community.

As for the week that BASA went bust, i dont think there was a person in adelaide that wasnt listening, even a few friends in victoria listened into that one.

Reply #68190 | Report this post

Badger  
Years ago

i tend to agree with cosmo, the fact that it was on the basketball australia website shows it is listened into by people all over the country must be tunning in. even Bill Mildenhal asked me once who was on week. so think big names and lots of people are listening

Reply #68191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is the basketball radio version of the footy show, why wouldnt you listen in, its funny as, the guys are very informative but do it in a fun way where you have to laugh. plus the guests they get on are awesome, dont here them on other sports shows very often

Reply #68192 | Report this post

studio manager  
Years ago

The figures that have come in on the month of January, shows our listening audience peeks on tuesday nights. we credit this mainly to "Talking Hoops". We can say that through listening audiences, both radio and via the internet, during this period of time our audience is around the 50k mark. Personally as a basketball fan, i can appreciate the quality of guests on the show and expertise of Mr Paul Bell and Mr Brett Maher. Keep tunning in we only want to continue to grow this very popular program. Remember 88.7fm for all good community radio listening.

Reply #68194 | Report this post

Coast Voice  
Years ago

The figures posted are accurate. Two of the most popular shows on the station currently are Talking Hoops and The Sportscap Show on Thursday Nights. Both are professionally run witty and well worth listening too.

Reply #68203 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

It's a good show, but 50,000?? That's 5% of Adelaide. That can't be right, surely.

Reply #68205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is right, it would make a mockery of the concept that you can't get people interested in Basketball.

If only we could harness these powers for goodness and niceness...

Reply #68227 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

And if only a fifth of that audience tried to get tickets to 36ERS/Fellas games.

Reply #68251 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

50,000...tell him hes dreaming!

Reply #68259 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I'm not sure about that either, do that many people really know about it, i only heard it existed after posting on this site but play most tuesdays so i cant really listen to it. They seem to get all the big names of basketball on which i think is great, imagine if they had that many top footy stars all on a radio show, it would be extremely popular so i dont blame people for listening but do people really know about it?

I must admit i dont live in what you would call the metropolitan area of Adelaide and had never even heard of coastFM but if 50 thousand people really do tune in on tuesdays i think its great and that that power should be harnessed into getting more people to sixers games.

Reply #68264 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

It would be interesting to know how they came up with the $50k figure.

From my journalism studies (and granted they were a long time ago and things can change), community radio was not included in ratings for the exact reason they are community radio, and not expected to keep to the same standards as commercial.

If that was the case, I think you would find Life FM would appear in ratings when released.

I think 50k would be an optimistic number. If they ARE getting 50k, great!! But it does seem to be high.

Perhaps the studio manager could clue us all in as to where that figure was collated from?

Reply #68291 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Yea good point, also how does ANY radio station work out listening numbers? This is something that has puzzled me before, they might know how many radio stations are turned in(not sure about this) but how do they know how many people are sitting on the other side of the radio listening, or do they just do an average, and then what about people just seaching therough stations and listen for 5 mins, does that cound? Any help would be great.

Reply #68323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

VC - they'd either use a black box or commission market research companies to survey a group of people, and extrapolate from that. e.g., 200 out of 1000 people surveyed said that they listen to Triple J x times a week, therefore if there are 500,000 adults in Adelaide, blah blah blah.

In television, it's done in a voluntary fashion (AFAIK) using a black box that tracks a families viewing habits - but of course it can't tell if someone is there actually watching the TV and I don't know how it handles people like me who'll often try watching all channels at once with strategic channel-changing.

I suspect that audience figures are always inflated to attract advertising, whatever method they use to come up with their figures.

Reply #68333 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

The method for recording TV is a black box (we used to have one). The method of recording is:

a separate remote control with 8 buttons on it. Each button represents a person in that house (ie Dr D=#1) and when you turn the tv on, the box on top of the tv flashes until you enter a person watching.

Everytime you change channels, the box will flash reminding you to hit 'enter' to confirm the people watching the new station.

They are pain's in the arse! Everytime you use the normal remote, you gotta 'confirm' it.

- Radio listening numbers (as i was told by the people at ? ? Nelson) was a weekly survey sheet.

Ie, 10 minute time slots (on an excel type spreadsheet) over a week, and you mark what radio station you were listening to at that particular time. Yogee is sort of right, there are only the major stations listed on this sheet, however from memory, there is a few slots left open for 'others' where you're local or common community station would go.

Reply #68364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is AC nelson

Reply #68374 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Marketing companies do surveys. They approach a number of households and leave them with questionaires to fill out. Questions relating to the pattern of their radio listening would be part of the survey. As you tabulate numbers watching certain TV stations using the black box, the same method would be used to tabulate numbers listening to certain radio stations at certain times.

Reply #68499 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754