TR
Years ago

Building a NBA Franchise

After getting stuck into the Cheezeburger Hawks on another thread (and I'm a bobcats supporter so I understand losing), I been having a think about what it takes to build a strong, play-staying succesful franchise.

Do you keep your lottery picks?? is it luck??? good scouting of players outside of the US?? putting your balls on the line (if your the GM), do you trade your picks for established players?? do you 'max out' a player?? do you have a young team with a few vets or a vet team with a few young'uns.

Just going back to the Atlanta draft picks in which they swapped or traded. In 2003, 2002 and 2001 the Hawks swapped picks #8, #8 and #3. These spots were worth TJ Ford, Wilcox (but Amare went in the next spot) and Gasol. All they really got in return was Shareef. Would the Hawks have been any better with TJ, Wilcox and Gasol on there squad????

Now the problem I see with that is Reef whilst is good player is only a good player. If I'm losing my Top 10 pick it's for a damn All-Star. A top 10 draft pick is usually gonna turn-out into a good player. A mistake by the Hawks, I think so.

Is this why the T Wolves suck (bar KG's killer contract)??? They had all their picks taken from them in the Joe Smith fraud.

But, on the other hand, you take the Spurs and Pistons. Ok, the Spurs got very lucky that the season David Robinson sat out hurt, TD happened to be the junket (is this the luck aspect). The only 'max' contract on the squad is TD and they haven't gone into luxury-land yet. Oh, they also draft very very well from outside the US (Manu, Scola), and have savy veterans and an intelligent GM. The Pistons are the same, no max (Big Ben will go max), smart scouting and intelligent drafting (Prince at #23 etc).

Topic #6043 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Damn, hit post by mistake...

Part II

Or do you go the same way as my Bobcats, keep it cheap and have a plan and build a team over the years through the draft. Get your building blocks in place and then try and steal and top notch free agent.

Or do you go the Laker path and try and buy a ring (buying Shaq, Malone, Payton)????

Just how do you build a contender???

Personally I think a smart GM (NOT ISIAH!!!!), great scouting, and the truck load of luck come draft time and your on the right track.

Reply #68527 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

nice, but what i dont get is that atlanta have been trying to build a team since the dikembe mutumbo days and still there is no real signs of a team able to challenge the elite.

maybe there waiting for 2007 to draft greg odon and start from there i dunno. i think every team needs to build around a big man. lamarcus aldridge should be the man the hawks go after in this years draft. if not him, theres a 7 foot italian dirk like player i wouldnt mine seeing in a hawks uniform. but with euros there always a risk when they decide to come over and all that other bs. after than a passing point guard free agent picking please.

Reply #68635 | Report this post

bobcats for the win :-D

Been discussing this lately with mates (and cheezeburger, funnily enough) ... high chance Bobcats are going to get the number 1 pick... Should they go for Morrison? With him they'd have

PG Knight
SG Morrison
SF Wallace
PF Okafor
C Brezec

Or should they go for a high quality centre? A shotblocker? This would compliment Knight and Wallace as well (being good with steals and blocks respectively) Aldridge say, their team would be something like

Knight
Felton
Wallace
Okafor
Aldridge

They have a first round pick from the Raptors as well, which could also be a high pick. Perhaps get Morrison early andpick up a shotblocker later on?

Reply #68642 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

heard some talk ELG about bobcats trading knight due to the good play of late by raymond felton. i rekon felton can fill knight shoes.

p.s felton was a heavily scouted target of the hawks in last years draft to fill the pg possie. but up steps another SF insted.

Reply #68659 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm not too adverse in losing Brevin, I think Felton is ready, but BK is such a good PG. My only request is that we get something good in return. If he does go to the Knicks (as rumoured) I want Ariza in return at a minimum.

As a Cats fan I'm really hope they are looking at Morrison, and if not him then Aldridge. I don't really want Gay or Bargnani. Select Morrison, move Wallace to the 2, Felton to run the P and Meka, Primoz, Ely (gotta resign him or trade him to the Nets for a No 1, they have 2 in the 06 draft and a No 2) and May would make a nice rotation.

Oh, and employ a damn witch doctor to remove the injury curse that someone put on us.

With your Hawks cheeze, I almost think that since they traded Nique they have been using the 'bandaid' approach. Let's hope they actually keep the core together (Salim, JJ, Marvin, Smith and ZaZa), add a high pick this year that isn't a SG/SF. Don't get a outside PF, you need a bruiser, a thug that will put people on the collective ar$e when they enter the lane.

Trade Harrington, and get a defensive centre, or at least a veteran centre. You have enough people that can score. If you have to, package Harrington and Childress together.

Also, throw some love and cash towards David Andersen, he's ripping it up in Euro and he's ready. He helps solve the C issue, between Zaza, Andersen and fingers crossed you'll get Alridge you'll sort of the C possie. Take a PG with your second rounder, he may suck, he may not. Could be another Gilbert Arenas.

I seriously think that trading all your lotto picks away if dicey unless they land you an all-star.

Reply #68685 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

well as i see it theres only 3 keepers on the hawks roster joe johnson salim stoudamire and josh smith.

with david anderson its a long long story. getting euros out of the contracts in terribly difficult.

Reply #68698 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Don't loose faith in Marvin yet Cheeze. He'll come good.

He's a good read about him.

http://www.realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/93/20060203/dont_call_him_bowie/

It almost seems that being picked #2 is a curse.

Sam Bowie, Darko Wayman Tisdale, Len Bias, Shawn Bradley and Jay Williams were all second picks and had mixed fortunes, but so was Glove, ZO, Kidd and Francis.

Reply #68707 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

Cheeze didnt your trade two first round picks aswell as Boris for JJ what is going to happen with that? can Pheonix pick and choose when they want these picks or are they set in stone when they get the picks

Reply #68859 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

nah there top 3 protected.

Reply #68864 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Cheeze is sort of right. The picks are lottery protected (1-14) in 2006, has protection through No. 3 in 2007 and has no protection in 2008.

Basically the pick in 2007 is protected for the second-coming of Tim Duncan, Greg Oden.

Actually 2007 could be a strong draft; Oden, McRoberts, Durant, O'Bryant, Slaughter and Wright are all coming out. A lot of PF's and C.

Reply #68894 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754