Angry
Years ago

Clean out has to start with SMYTH

'The General' treats his lacklustre players like young boys playing churchball.

Take a note out of joey wrights book, his team were up 25, and let loose on his team with no mercy for feelings.

RESULT up by 45 with time to play.

Good marketing tool getting a 'face' such as phil smyth's in the franchise, but wow he has gone down hill since those chmapionships. Not a good teacher, just a good coach when the team has already been put together, eg champs of '98

Topic #6047 | Report this topic

panther lover  
Years ago

Well he is a gd coach. Have u ever thought that it might be the players we have got just aren't good enough. In my opinion we need to get rid of Hambour, Gower, Cooper, Nash, Rees. Please tell me if these players do anything on our roster, except Nash who does contribute but is still hesitating with his 3 pt shot. Rees might provide a spark, Cooper is just hopeless and does nothing. and Gower and Hambour have been on our bench for 3 yrs and haven't been given the chance, and somehow we think they are going to be our secret weopen in the finals, bullshit, excuse my language.... Next week in front of their home crowd they better show some pride and play with some heart for our home supporters. Even though i have said all this... I belive the sixers will get throught to the semis and nething is possile.

Reply #68567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

panther lover the coach is responsible for the team

he is also responsible for selecting the team he is the one who brought gower back into the team

he is not a hands on coach and did very very well with a talented team back in 98.

he and brehney do not get the best out of what they have - you actually have to coach some people.

liken this to a university degree there are some students who revel in the freedom on not having a teacher teach or spoon feed every item of the circulum. when they get to uni they can organise themselves to get to lectures hand up assignments and get the research or done.

some flounder missing the prompts by the teacher to hand up assignments can't manage their time and generally goof off.

in the past smyth has had university student type players the self motivating, prideful players like sapwell, brooks, mee, maher

he now has high school students and he needs to direct and guide them and he doesn't

i contribute a lot of blame on the coaching staff maybe ninnis did a lot more than people realise

Reply #68580 | Report this post

u meow  
Years ago

Very easy to blame the coach in these situations, but ive got to agree I think its time for a big change to the sixers, to coincide with the sweeping changes at basa (board level).

After watching the good old '5 on, 5 off' tactic tonight in the last quarter, that message was well and truely saying THROW IN THE TOWEL. Watching well payed athletes in a sixers uniform walking down the floor on a fast break (except Hambour) was well and truely saying THROW IN THE TOWEL. Not sure if I would ever see a team lead by a certain Sydney coach behave in this manner.

It was sickening to be a sixers fan tonight.

Reply #68582 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Phil does not choose the players any more that is done by admin...look at the squads we did have when he was selecting players.

Reply #68591 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

As I said a couple of weeks ago, that is JUST the type of effort that you want from a team in financial trouble.

Why should anyone pay to go and see Adelaide play at the moment? That performance tonight was pathetic. Unlike the Cairns game, there were no positives to be found.

As far as Smyth: it has become very clear that he cannot get the most out of this group of players. Thus, there are only two options: change the playing group or change the coaching staff.

Does anyone know what Gordie McCloud is doing these days?

And enough about Brett Maher not playing: it is no excuse for that kind of performance tonight. Brisbane was without Rucker and Copeland too. It seems as if there is no-one on Adelaide's roster other than Todd Gower who is in the slightest bit interested in making a hustle play. Smyth and Breheny f*cked up big time a couple of years back when they failed to keep Matt Illman interested in playing NBL basketball.

Reply #68597 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is anyone really that surprised?

Finals prediction: if we come up against Cairns or Brisbane, out in one game.

Reply #68598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pridiction : Smyth and Maher will leave in the same year, until then there will be no major change.

Reply #68601 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its very likely we will come up against Cairns. Don't like your prediction Isaac but I can't say I don't agree.

Reply #68602 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Cairns is probably a better prospect than facing the bullets again.

However they will be tough to beat.

Realistically even if the Sixers get past the elimination game does anyone here honestly think they can win a best of 3 game series against anyone in the top 4 atm?

Reply #68608 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Spot on Isaac - we are just not good enough this year!

Reply #68610 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

If Smyth goes who would be his successor?

The talk is that Smyth and Co are on big money?

I doubt that the new administration would be willing to pay a lot of money for a new coach, so in my eyes it would be a rookie coach or someone on the cheap and that would virtually mean a new side. Would Brett Stay? Dusty or Willy? Jacob or Oscar?

How many would be back with a rookie coach or a Dave Ingham? What about fans, what percentage would still renew season tickets if the side were missing the play offs be down the bottom of the ladder for the next 3 or 4 year with no guarantee of success?

Phil Smyth is still the answer to be the coach, no point in changing coaches unless you can get someone better and with the current financial situation I doubt that would happen.

Sixers to come out and spank the Taipans or Pirates next week, and all the love will be back.

Reply #68616 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Sixers successfully coming out of the elimination game will give them the confidence to face the best of 3 semi. The most concerning aspect of it is that 2 of the 3 games will be away. As brilliant as they can be on any particular home game, they have failed to carry that through to away games. It might also be in my imagination, but I also get the impression that come finals time, evey other team seems to be more hungry for the win. They will play some pretty shitty games throughout the season, but always seem to have their best game saved for playoff time.

Reply #68619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth doesnt pick the players? Our paltry budget probably picks them

Reply #68622 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Did I see someone asking for Gordie McLeod???

And what impressive things did Gordie do in his time at the Razorbacks?

NOTHING! Pissed players off so they went to other clubs or overseas.

Has never acheived anything, hence the reason why he is not in the NBL coaching fraternity today.

As for Phil not being a hands on coach, written by people who obviously have NEVER been to a 36ers training session in their life. Never listened to a single time out on Fox.

Wow, a couple of bad losses, and people calling for blood. At least even the Townsville fans waited for 5 losses before calling for Stacker's head.

Fair weather fans. Thats all you are. TRUE fans stick with the team through thick and thin.

Reply #68632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'As for Phil not being a hands on coach, written by people who obviously have NEVER been to a 36ers training session in their life. Never listened to a single time out on Fox.'

Wrong again Yogee you can seen both, heard both, for many years - I stand by my comments - he is not a hands on coach.

Reply #68633 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Yogee

1. Whilst I agree that Gordie is probably not the ideal coach for the 6ers, to say he has "never achieved anything". If you were even remotely in the know, you would realise that Gordie is generally regarded as one of the best going around at developing and nurturing talent.

2. Have to agree with #68633. Phil is not the type of coach the 6ers need at present. This is not to suggest that Phil can't coach (after all his record speaks for itself) but as the playing ranks have changed, so must the coaching ranks.

Reply #68636 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Smyth is a people person and nothing more. Brehany is the brains but i think it is time for a change. He does have a huge say on players and its a cop out saying that budget restrictions have a huge say on who we can get. Newley as a rookie would have cost us nothing, but was ignored. Schensher to Melbourne, again no contact was made. Time for him to go and new coaches to be brought in and start fresh. New ideas, new team. It would be a good thing with the promise of a new start to Basketball SA.

Reply #68638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie was also hamstrung at west sydney by his players 'demanding' he go.

the little prima donnas thought they were better than the game and brought him down - funny he got them well into the finals yet the same team the following year floundered.

one of said prima donnas had same run in with joey wright - seems like he doesn't like to be told how to play.

Gordie McLeod is a great coach and has the goods to take this fairly young team and turn them around.

Sorry Jacob Holmes had a ton of talent - I've seen him for years decimate the opposition in ABA - but his shot selection is woeful he needs someone to take him aside or pull him off court and say no Jacob no. He would be a better player for it and the team would be better served by a more efficent player.

it is all well and good to put a team of talent on the floor like Mee, Maher, Brooks, Sapwell, Catalini and say go play boys do what you want you know what to do get on with it.

This group needs to have their i's dotted and their t's crossed a little bit more than they seem to be getting.

Reply #68641 | Report this post

vince l  
Years ago

Team not good enough this year, way too soft under defensive pressure

Team and Coaches forced to live within means, unlike the past, so no short cuts available to rebuild the team

Team Coaches overpaid on a sport wide measure, way above current resources

No plan B however to either problem, BASA clearly has no vision for it and faces bigger problems off the court, so we will all just have to get on with it...

Reply #68644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think if we dont get the title this year..and maybe even if we do...theres no point sticking with players who arent contributing...getting injured and genreally just being old....i would rather have a team full of young talent while losing because it would lead to something...when we lose now and leave gerlach etc on the bench noone in learning anything

Reply #68645 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is not to suggest that Phil can't coach (after all his record speaks for itself) but as the playing ranks have changed, so must the coaching ranks.
Summed up perfectly in one sentence.

All the "true fans" and "fairweather fans" stuff is bullshit. It's natural for everyone to discuss the highlights after a win and the lowlights after a loss. If you disagree with a point, argue as much, but I just don't see what calling out "you're not a true fan" achieves.

Reply #68646 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Hmm a little fired up there Isaac - and fair enough too!

All we want to see is OUR team putting their best foot forward EVERY game and doing their best. At the moment we dont see that and so we are all voicing our frustrations

Reply #68649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil has everyone bluffed. Fact is we wouldnt have won those first two championships from coaching, it was KB and Darnnel, didnt see much coaching done at all and that was the great bluff, people thought it was great he let his team play, but that isnt coaching thats letting vetran winners do what they do best, Win!
I agree time for a coaching change and actually have a proper basketball program in place that will develop youth and attract players here again. there isnt a junior that wants to come here. and lets face it the way the league is you have to be developing youth in order to have long success

Reply #68651 | Report this post

RM  
Years ago

isnt phil signed for another year or two? that makes it hard!! i question his interest in the job. hasnt been at either of the lastt 2 quiz nights. newspapers talk about him becoming a radio person or even footy commentaor.( you never hear that about goorj!)

Reply #68654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horror of Horror's i'm beginning to realise that BA made the right move in dumping Smyth and putting in boy goorj as Boomers coach

Love him or Hate him he is passionate about the game and he coaches!!

Goorj is proactive!
Smyth isn't even reactive!

what got up my nose today was Smyth's comment
'we don't seem to do well in games that don't count'

Hey you have fans ALL games count to them, you play for your fans, you play for pride OK the game might not move your position on the ladder but there is absolutely NO excuse for the dismal display

I'd rather have seen the Academy team play brisbane they might have lost by 43 but I'm sure they would have been busting a gut to prove a point that they could make it at that level.

Reply #68656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prediction :

Smyth and Maher will leave together in one or two years time. Nothing will change before.The following year will be very difficult for the club as many supporters will also leave.

Who ever takes on the role as coach will have a difficult job and hence will again leave after max two years unless this person has great skills in finding and developing young talent.

Sounds like the 36ers should read the story of the Crows. At least they now focus a lot on finding and developing the best young talent available - and expects performance in every match.

Reply #68657 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

For crying out loud, look at the rot set in. I'd be interested in the ages of some of you people.

It's a sad day when the 3, who I consider the most knowledgable, contributers to this forum bring out the long knives and differ so strongly in their opinions.

Statman, Yogee, Isaac... what is going on here?

'Fairweather fans' alot of you are. Totally with you on that Yogee!

'All we want to see is OUR team putting their best foot forward EVERY game and doing their best. At the moment we dont see that and so we are all voicing our frustrations.'
Agree with you there Statman.

'It's natural for everyone to discuss the highlights after a win and the lowlights after a loss.'
And agree with you too Isaac.

But...
Have to give the kudos to Yogee for telling it how it is!

I expected a more intelligent response from you Isaac - 'All the "true fans" and "fairweather fans" stuff is bullshit.'

Brockman and Statman, would to hear more on what you think here.

Not that it matters that much but alot of the comments above are 'anon', and ironically the majority of these are the 'fair weather' fans, not knowledgable in their posts. To start with, the opening 'anon' states -
'Good marketing tool getting a 'face' such as phil smyth's in the franchise, but wow he has gone down hill since those chmapionships. Not a good teacher, just a good coach when the team has already been put together, eg champs of '98'.
What a load of crap!

The 'team' of 98 -
Kevin Brooks, Brett Maher, Martin Cattalini, Darnell Mee, John Rillie, Mark Davis, Paul Rees, Rupert Sapwell, Scott Ninnis, Dean Brogan, Paul Bauer, Jason Williams.

Taking into account the age and experience of each player, how can you say this team is by far better than the team now?
Hopefully someone later will ask the questions of what I mean because I don't want to make this post more of an essay than it already is.
(before you do, check out the team stats in the links to the left).

The Championship team of 01/02 -
Willie Farley, Brett Maher, David Stiff, Paul Rees, Matt Garrison, Rupert Sapwell, Mark Nash, Jason Williams, Matt Illman, Jacob Holmes, Oscar Forman, Blake Truslove.

Again, a Championship won, but how is this team better than the current, or the team of '98'?

On paper the 98 team LOOKS a standout doesn't it? On paper the team of 01/02 doesn't, does it? What about this season's team compared to them?
With stats compared the same results are being produced.. but the opposition has got better.
Why did we win championships in the aforementioned years?
Going even further back, on paper the teams of earlier are more talent laden, but why did they fail?

In my opinion it is the coaching staff that has brought the 36ers success... that and team morale. Basketball is not a sport where you bring out the guns to blow the opponent away, it's also tactics/strategy that plays a major role.
Since the first trophy in the 80's Adelaide has always been a doughnut team, more the case in each championship won with Smyth/Breheny. We run/gun and utilise tactics/strategy to beat an opponent. Who makes these strategies?

Adelaide has in the past 5 seasons always been a 'dark horse', thanks to the coaching staff. I've never liked Dave Thomas and thought it was a dark period in the history when he played; when we lost Mee. But we still contended the 'top' teams. Eveyone says that the 01/02 trophy was 'unexpected' or 'unbelievable'... how did we win it against more talent laden teams on PAPER? The coaching staff!

Again, Adelaide is a 'dark horse'. Close wins, big losses, 'unexpected' results. I believe Adelaide is the only team capable of pulling off an 'upset' over the Kings or Tigers who everyone thinks will win it. How they may do it depends on how the coaching staff put together a strategy to utilise the weapons we have to use.

Yes, the last few games have been abysmal and huge losses going into the 'play offs' is not a good thought. But do these results really matter? Key players haven't played, ladder positions have been consolidated, other teams have done the same thing! Bruton/Smith/Calvary/Saville/Ballinger all didn't play in last rounds. Were they injured or were they rested? If you say they were injured then take into account the actual minutes they played in their final games.
I agree that a team should come out and play their hardest to try and get a win... in a perfect world.
'As I said a couple of weeks ago, that is JUST the type of effort that you want from a team in financial trouble.'
Well said Mutley (#68597), but is anyone going to care about this result if the Sixers win the next game... the game that counts?
What better way to drum up support by going as far into the finals as you can.

As Yogee said 'TRUE fans stick with the team through thick and thin.'
All the people posting should be SUPPORTING their team, not stabbing them in the back! The season is not over yet, the Finals are a different ball game, focus on how we can win the elimination game and proceed instead of sounding the death knell.

SUPPORT YOUR TEAM!
If the Sixer's need changes in players/staff, then wait for the END of the season - how many changes will you want to make if we go all the way?

Reply #68668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we are all entitled to our opinions regardless of age or our nickname or lack thereof

Reply #68684 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Hey wak - no long knives here - more just a bit of frustration boiling to the surface after a pretty ordinary performance. I have to agree with Isaac about the fairweather and not true fans post - just because we voice our displeasue at the teams performance doesnt mean we dont supposrt the club. I am happy to say that I thought our effort on Sat night was pathetic - if that makes me fairweather then so be it.

Your comments on previous years teams was pretty much spot on. One thing that these teams had in my opinion that pushed them to the championships was chemistry. The teams alwas seemed to be having fun and enjoying playing with each other. This when coupled with Phil's laid back free flowing style gave the team a confidence that they were good enough to beat anyone. When the whole team is feling this way rsults will come and they did! For some reason this chemisryy just doesnt seem to be there anymore. Why this is and how we get it back I have no idea - but until we do I cant see us pressing for a championship

as for the Kings and Hawks resting layers in the final rounds yes your correct there - but they didnt get blown out by over 40 points!

Reply #68688 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Smyth has overachieved this year. We are the only team in the league without a legitimate starting centre (Rees and Coops are more role players) and we still finished fourth.

Reply #68716 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

I f position changes why not consider KB as a replacement coach?

Reply #68726 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

So at what point "Wak" do you put a stop to this pathetic excuse for basketball? How about we keep the same team next year and end up being a Townsville?
Phil is a good coach when he has an experienced and talented team. A group of players that don't need someone constantly on their ass. Players that know a high percentage shot when they see one. This is why Brett Maher is so valuable to the sixers this year.
The difference between Boy Gorj and Phil is that Gorj realises that the game changes over time, players become more athletic, younger, the game faster. But he doesn't continue with the same game plan as what he had in the 90's! He evolves with the game.
For a coach to have a free flowing, shoot whenever you want stlye you need a smart team, a team that knows the game and plays within themselves. If there is no structure, some players try to go beyond their limitations, others retreat. The run and gun style basketball was never going to work with this team. Only Brett and Willie can create their own shots so the rest of the guys need structure.
Can anyone else remember a time when an NBL coach used the old 5 on 5 off sub??? Twice in one season??? Both times when they were getting spanked? Have some pride and respect for the game and your players Phil. Was he trying to humiliate them even more?
To also say that Phil has no say in who plays on his team is stupidity. No coach in their right mind would accept a coaching role in professional sport if that was the case. Phil gives his list of players and the Sixers board go after them. The only thing Phil doesn't get involved in is contract negotiations.
Maybe at the end of the season his needs to be looked at too.

Reply #68727 | Report this post

Tony blair  
Years ago

Panther well said and very well deserving of the basketball

Reply #68746 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Where were the 6ers predicted to finish at the start of this season? Out of the playoffs.

The Bullets matchup better against us then any team in the league.

Cairns (presuming they beat Hunter) will be tough, but playing Brisbane would have been suicide. Who cares if they lose by 1 or 40...

Reply #68765 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Regular Season Is Over. Forget the margins or how many games we won or lost. We finished fourth which is very respectable. Playoffs are a whole new story. No one should be asking for any blood yet. Where did we finish in 2002 before the playoffs?

Reply #68768 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

This is a professional sport that opens itself to discussion, passion and constructive critisism. We are not the parents and family of a U/8 soccer team at primary school where we should be happy that the kids are having a run around and enjoying themselves.
'Good try Jimmy!'-we are beyond such pointless encouragement.
If the open forum is too sensitive to your eyes or too in depth for your comprehension, thats fine... just watch, read and learn.

Reply #68796 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

My comments about fairweather fans...let me alborate (though I wasnt going to)

Comments about the Brisbane game, as a one off game, being lacking, sub standard etc are quite fair comment.

To call for Smyth to be sacked, to be labelling the team a disgrace, to be singling out players (wow...how about Nashy being voted best team man by his peers.....but then what would the other 13 people in the 36ers squad know when we have a bunch of wanna be NBL players who post anonymously on here) is just wrong, and THAT is what I call a fair weather fan.

I could almost guarantee that these same people, if the 6ers won the championship, would be saying how much an awesome coach Phil is, and that management should be going out of their way to ensure the team is re signed for next year.

THAT is a fair weather fan.

To be a true fan, you would have said that whilst you found Saturday nights performce well below par, and the recent drop in form a concern, without making what IMO are irrational emotional statements.

Purely my opinion.

Reply #69010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

purely my opinion Yogee

but even if adelaide one the premiership I would still be firm in my belief that Phil has to go
he isn't what is needed for this team.

If we are retaining said team due to salary cap restrictions we need a coach who will coach them.

I mean someone who gets up them when need be, sets them goals, doesn't do five on five off under 10 type subs.

A coach who prepares the team in advance of a say Sydney game for the game and not come out after and say, oops I didn't prepare them for that type of physical game - where has he been all boy goorj's sides are physical.

We won't have a coach who says, we don't play well when the games don't matter - playing badly and losing by a few or 10 or so isn't as bad as the floggings we've had a few times this season the lack of motivation, pride and pure guts has been appalling at times.

those type losses to sydney, and twice to brisbane shouldn't happen to any team who are looking at finals. acceptable maybe if you enter the comp knowing you will be competitive in some games and get walloped in some. Someone does have to finish out of the finals.

call me a fair weather friend or fan if you wish.

I would call myself informed and passionate about the sport

I've got to stage now where i'd love to see Jacob and Oscar go elsewhere for the sake of Australian basketball so they can improve.

Brehney is the power behind the throne, Smyth the figure head just cause you can play doesn't mean you can coach and its been said before Maher, Mee, Brooks, Catalini are self starters.

Some need a rocket a lot of this team appear to need that swift kick or at least some type of direction -it doesn't appear to be happening and with coaches comments like I don't care where we finish, this game doesn't matter, i under prepared them, doesn't thrill me nor fill me with confidence for the future.

Reply #69012 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Yogee

I couldn't be bothered going back through this whole thread but I'm not sure anyone has suggested Nashy is not a great team man. FYI, being voted best team man by your peers, and whether or not you still have the ability to succeed at NBL level, are two completely different things. A "best team man" award is not a measure of basketball ability. Nashy is a terrific guy, a hard worker, and has been a great guy to have around the team.

Secondly, to all those who are claiming we overachieved and that we have done well to be placed fourth leading into the playoffs, you may indeed be right. But in saying that you are actually proving our point that it is time for a clean out. Are we going to sit around congratulating ourselves on finishing mid-table, or are we going to do something about it and make the changes necessary to set ourselves up as the basketball power we once were?

Clearly it is time for changes. And no Yogee, I am not a fair weather fan, I will always be a fan. But I want to proudly call myself a supporter of the best ball club in this country. At the moment, that is not how I feel.

Reply #69013 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes...I must say Smyth's coaching has been abysmal.

Let's look at Cattalini. Could barely get a start at Perth. Came to Adelaide, did a year under Dunlap, still not that great, in comes Phil. and Cattalini becomes Boomer required player, gets gigs overseas at will, and has become one of the most feared competitors on the court.

Let's look at Oscar. Came into the team through the squad system, earned his stripes to start getting minutes, now a required player in any game, capable of starting if need be, and a dangerous player to leave unguarded. Yep, didn't get coached there.

Jacob. Once again came through the ranks. Stepped up to start when Brett was out with personal issues and injuries for quite some time. Played as an under sized centre and quite often won that battle. Now a Boomer, with a chance of seeing minutes in Melbourne, provided he makes the final team. Once again, must have done it all on his own, because Smyth doesnt coach.

Paul Maley came to Adelaide, his career written off. Became instrumental in the Championship that year. Paul Rees, David Stiff both have had career resurrections under Smyth's reign.

And for someone who can't coach, he has won 3 NBL championships. How many have posters on this forum collectively won? None. How many posters on this forum have been considered for an NBL coaching gig? 3, maybe 4 that I know of, out of what, over 1000 posters? Not bad.

I am not neccesarily saying that some changes would be a bad thing. I just think the highly emotive way a lot of people have expressed their anger really hasn't been that constructive. Surely we should all be right behind the team as it faces a KO final this weekend, and let the steam off at the end of the season?

Reply #69017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Oscar is a player dangerous to be left unguarded how come he hasn't produced more? When teams are targeting Maher, Farley, Dusty and Jacob why isn't Oscar getting more points more boards, more of anything?

It doesn't take being offered a NBL Coaching gig or to be a rocket scientist to see what does or doesn't make a good coach.

won 3 premierships yes, but as previously stated before the first two teams were talent laden and self motivated and displinced. Brooks, Maher, Mee, Sapwell to name a few would have died rather than seen themselves thumped by 43 in a 'game that didn't matter' every game mattered they might have played badly occassionally but the put their all on the line game after game after game.

this team could have coached themselves and obviously relished the style of phil's 'hands off' informal go get em coaching.

Jacob is a far better player than he is currently showing. Why is that, I don't believe like with some who have promised a lot and achieved little that he isn't cut out for NBL. He has a long term career and isn't of hoping to make the boomers team I hope in 2008 he will be one of the first picked.

Players stagnate as do coaches. Can't you see that by overachieving this season it lulls people into beleiving we have the team to take us into the future.

Farley will go sooner or later, Maher will retire, maybe sooner than we hope due to injuries. What happens with salary cap restrictions and the financial hardship of basketball in this state that we need to re stock our entire team.

We get a team of also rans and a lot of juniors - players that like this current group need some direction, someone to give them a rocket, or swift kick. A coach who can tell them what to do, instead of allowing them to just do their own thing.

Sure if we manage to pick up a KB, a Mee and Maher in the future lot we might be saved but currently all i see is a dismal future where the fans will be like the coach expecting us to do badly in games, falling over the line in others.

OK we have won many tight games this season, call it luck or what you may, if we had lost those or even some of those we wouldn't be in the fortunate position we are now.

And when we lose in the quarters when the coach doesn't prepare them or if he doesn't react to big runs against them, when the game can't be reedeemed like the brisbane game last season, will we be happy then?

Good coaches change their styles to suit the occassion or the team, look how many times Brian G has had to reinvent himself with different players, and they have all achieved and he continues to coach finalist, even grand finalists.

Look at Kevin Sheedy I'm sure his game plan has changed over the 18 seasons he's been at Essendon.

But Yogee no need to tell you that cause you would obviously know it!

Reply #69023 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Sheeds has been at Essendon 25 seasons :)

Reply #69028 | Report this post

MBSR  
Years ago

yogee: holmes was in the world all star 5 before getting his nbl start. i think its a tad telling that hes doing kings drills to improve himself. scrimmaging against cattalini and co probably doesnt hurt.

you know all the jokes about fisher and ingham?? insert smyth for fisher and breheny for ingham, in kmy opinion.

forman hasnt developed anywhere near as fast as he should have or could be developing - that is obvious. has ability, but doesn't often play like a fifth year player..

newley didn't come to adelaide. guess who said 'dont worry, he'll probably be shit anyway'???

joe ingles won't be playing for the sixers next year and its not all the fault of someone in admin [though they didnt help!!]. theres no reputation for development here. you might remember jason williams?

i dont think you spend much time actually talking to players around the league, do you??

Reply #69040 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

"i dont think you spend much time actually talking to players around the league, do you??"

Now come on MBSR, why would Yogee do that? He already knows everything ;)

Reply #69044 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

"i dont think you spend much time actually talking to players around the league, do you??"

Now come on MBSR, why would Yogee do that? He already knows everything ;)

Reply #69045 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Actually, Cat I dont beleive I have ever claimed to know everything, and in fact I quite often will state that I am not sure of something, or don't know something when posting.

I guess the whole issue about who should stay, who should go is a personal opinion thing. At least when I voice MY opinion, I can do so without getting to a personal attack level, something many other posters on this board seem to be unable to refrain from.

People like to live in a world of "what ifs".

What if we had a different coach...what if we had signed different imports...what if BASA hadn't financially screwed basketball to the wall in this state....what if we actually got behind our team and supported them through the finals, instead of calling for heads to roll before a ball has been bounced......

I would hate to think what people would be like if we had Scott Fisher, Joey Wright..or some other coach who has a talent laden team but cant even make play offs!

Most media and coaches early in the season had sixers lucky to make the 8, and exit first game.

Well they more than made the 8, they were in top 4 all season, and well yes may still exit first game.

I dont know....you cant please all the people all the time I guess.

Reply #69060 | Report this post

MBSR  
Years ago

yogee you didnt comment on my points.

by the way, fishers and wrights teams are both in the playoffs.

Reply #69063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MBSR

If you are going to be pedantic, make sure you read the post. Yogee said 'or some other coach' who has a talent laden team but cant even make play offs. That is not a reference to any team coached by fisher or wright. Insert Stacker into Yogee's statement for an example.

There is no doubt that on paper at the start of the season, Adelaide did not look to be among the top 4 most talented teams. I would therefore support yogee's statement as a fair one.

Reply #69078 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Until KB or Isaac (Via Oscar) or any other player that has posted on hear and has played under Smyth can confirm that Steve is the mastermind behind the duo, and until then it will never be an issue.

Can someone please explain it to me like I am a 3 year old "How the hell anyone can at something" to go beyond your own or teams potential is not overachieving is increasing your potential.

To overachieve at something is a fallacy because if you overachieved then you have reached your potential and there is no reason why you cannot get back to that spot again.

Oh BTW, well said Yogee

I agree with that and everything you said.

Reply #69083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At least when I voice MY opinion, I can do so without getting to a personal attack level" - yogee.

Perhaps we should ask some of the former WNBL referees if thats true huh yogee?

Reply #69088 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Steve is considered the 'mastermind' behind the duo. I thought everyone knew that?

That doesn't imply that Smyth doesn't have a role at all - it's just not so much a strategic one.

As I highlighted further up in the thread - I don't think Smyth is a "bad coach", just that he's better suited to a different roster. The type of roster that has Maher/KB/Mee/Cat and so on in the major positions, not necessarily one that's starting a 22 year old and bringing another still under-developed player off the bench for significant minutes. Smyth could be good for the type of roster Brisbane has this year, for example.

You'll note from all of his public comments that he's about avoiding distraction for the players, giving a simple focus, relaxing the team, trying to avoid injuries getting out of control, etc. He's the public face of the team like Fisher is in Perth; he just has a far better relationship with his assistant than Fisher did with Ingham! In timeouts, he doesn't seem to talk about plays so much - that seems to be left to the players - certainly what he says in Fox timeouts is far removed from what he'll say when the camera isn't there. He uses Fox timeouts to make comments about the referees and the way the game is being called without being fined (i.e. something along the lines of "They're not calling basketball out there. We're going to have to start pushing people around if that's how they want it.")

Fair enough that you don't credit every anonymous viewpoint on the forum, but never assume that you know all of the individuals you're talking with on this forum. You would be surprised by who posts and what they know. I know that I'd believe particular anonymous or MBSRs long before Yogee on an issue like this (sorry Yogee!).

Here's a question for you Joe - have you ever seen Smyth with a playboard during a timeout?

Reply #69089 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

So Isaac are you saying you are in favour of a coaching change?

Reply #69093 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

No but being at games I don't get close enough and watching games on TV it would be very rear if ever that I have seen something along those lines. What's your point?

What people are saying regarding Phil is not suited as a coach to this style of team maybe true but what is the point of changing coaches if your not going to someone better?

Reply #69094 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Anonymous poster (#69078), you are an idiot! Yogee specifically named Fisher and Joey Wright in his comment, "I would hate to think what people would be like if we had Scott Fisher, Joey Wright..or some other coach who has a talent laden team but cant even make play offs!", so I don't know what you were thinking with your comments, "If you are going to be pedantic, make sure you read the post. Yogee said 'or some other coach' who has a talent laden team but cant even make play offs. That is not a reference to any team coached by fisher or wright."
How about look at the top 8 and think about how many teams "under acheived this season and if they did perform a little better where would Adelaide be??? Definitely not 4th! Think about where we would be sitting if we had lost half of those games where we won by less than 5 points...Not 4th!
Yes we may have over achieved but that should point out that next season if we stick with the same group and same coaching staff we won't be so lucky!

Reply #69095 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Sorry for the 3rd consecutive post

If Steve is the 'mastermind behind the duo' and I take your word for it, why wouldn't Phil and Steve privately changes roles and allow Steve to have a larger influence on how the side trains or plays? I am not suggesting they swap roles but if the previous system of training (that is more suited to veteran players) and the style of coaching no longer work why not implement a few different strategies.

Why not allow each party to implement their own strategies to overcome the side strengths and weakness.

Phil had a calming approach to the game and give the player a relaxed feel about the way they play, but Steve could take a hands on role and implement training strategies that he feels is best suited in fast tracking the development of each player, a bit like how an AFL assistant would specifically work with his group of players.

Mark Williams and Neil Craig allow their assistants to take a much more hands on approach to how a player develops or where a player needs to improve their deficiencies.

In my option and simply it just that, in any organization, businesses or sporting team you should never make 'a change simply for change sake' and you would never make a change if you're not going to get someone better then you have. I cannot see a coach in Australia who would become available next year and who would be willing to come to the Sixer organization.

Reply #69097 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

does it ever occur to some of you people that KB or Sapwell or Rees who all read and post to this forum would never make comments about Smyth's coaching under their own names.

IF they did post something i'm sure it would be with an alias or as anon.

the comments would be valid and from an informed source - but better to be wary than to be seen shoot down fellow coaches in flames.

as Isaac has said many would be amazed at who posts and what they do know - and at some who do post and know nothing at all.

Reply #69099 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Earlier in this thread (to be fair, it was after the Brisbane massacre) I tipped Adelaide to be eliminated in their first play-off game, and within a day Brett Maher had joked with Oscar at training about me not thinking the team could win.

So, there's a risk in me answering your question. (No, that risk isn't Brett making a joke about it.)

I think the current coaches could be well complemented by someone experienced with time to scout and charm potential future players, work the younger players harder to improve them and up our reputation for developing young talent. Extensive individual sessions. Trying to improve Holmes' shooting action. Kicking Oscar's butt to toughen him up and give him more aggression. Working a lot one on one with Hill. Great to have Phil as one of the NBL's great all-time guards, but wouldn't you want him to be putting in hours and hours every week teaching Brad Hill? I don't know that he does, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. I'm pretty sure they scrimmage/shoot/gym and that's about it.

An example is NZ bringing in John Dorge to mentor Tim Behrendorff. Did SFA in Cairns (?) in no opportunities. This year has done quite well when given reasonable minutes. Had 10 and 8 in 16 minutes against us, for example. Had 13 and 6 in 21 minutes against Hunter who have Cullen/Melmeth/Hinder/Eversteyn! If you count only his games over 10 minutes, he's averaging a respectable 7 points and 4 rebounds off the bench behind Ben Pepper - those stats are comparable to David Cooper who gets more consistent minutes, albeit in a different lineup.

I would like to see Smyth do more, but when you have your salary cut by an organisation that I imagine it's often hard to respect, I don't think that exactly inspires you to go beyond the call of duty.

That is one element that could be addressed by a fresh start. (There are coaches in Europe and the US, so I wouldn't be limited to wondering "well, who's better in AU?")

I can see benefits in making a substantial change (e.g., replacement) or a smaller change (even combining a couple of roles to create a team manager with more of a development focus). I think there's always room for improvement.

Reply #69103 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

A point well made Isaac. IMO we have a coach and and assistant coach who basically are both doing the same job. Drawing a parrallel with the AFL most teams have a head coack and a specialist coach for certain areas (defense, on ball, ruck etc etc) These coaches do their job and prepare parts of the team for the main man to have the final say on and make the moves on game day (In our situation the assistant coach and main man are bth doing the same thing!)

At the moment we have Phil being a figurehead and SB doing the stategy. As a result SB doesnt really have time to be a true assistant coach as he is busy doing the majority of Phils job.

Reply #69117 | Report this post

Oldie  
Years ago

Lay off of the coach. Get rid of certain show ponys on the team who are being paid big money, and then the team may act more like a team Kind of makes me think about the movie "Celtic Pride" one player doesnt make a team.

Reply #69135 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Statman,

Forget about what happened in Townsville this season just gone, are we now seeing how valuable Scott Ninnis was as an assistant.

Taking into account your last statement?

Maybe the Sixer should look at a part time specialty coach for fundamental improvement in one on one sessions or area of improvement.

Rupert Sapwell name comes to mind or any former player who had to work hard on his game just to be competitive in the league would be a good option as they could demonstrate the need for hard work. Just a different perspective on how a player has to work on his game to improve.

Reply #69138 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

"At least when I voice MY opinion, I can do so without getting to a personal attack level" - yogee.

Perhaps we should ask some of the former WNBL referees if thats true huh yogee?

I dont' think this has anything to do with Yogee. Boti Nagy is responsable!!!!!!

Reply #71074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, it was yogee.

It is not referring to newspaper write-ups, just comments on this forum.

Reply #71077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754