Isaac
Years ago

Gordon Pickard taking on Basketball?

Backpage of The Advertiser today features businessman Gordon Pickard. The "saviour" of SA soccer has handed over his control of Adelaide United to friend Nick Bianco and is looking at basketball as his next challenge.

He hints at the Sixers combining with United to form something of a "super sports club".

Basketball SA chief executive officer Mike Daws last night said he had not heard yet about Pickard's interest in basketball despite the philanthropist's previous financial support of the Lightning.

"We're thrilled to hear of interest in our sport," Daws said. "Beyond that I can't comment because this is the first I've heard of it."
Full article

Topic #6089 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

you beauty!!!!!!!!!

Reply #68886 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Well, what basketball in this state needs is a big injection of money (and some advertising like the A-League). Pickard could help with both of those things I imagine.

Not sure about the super-club though. You are talking here about privatising the Sixers, and then tying the club to the financial success of the A-League (and the A-League to the success of Basketball). That is two sports with horrible track records depending on each other for future survival. Could be a recipe for disaster.

The opportunities for two sports like Soccer and Basketball to work together however are worth investigating. Some sort of partnership may be beneficial to both. But I would be concerned about any proposal to join them at the hip.

Reply #68889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If basketball switched seasons (again), could you have a staff set who managed both sports? e.g., a PR guy who worked soccer/basketball 80/20 for 6 months, and then 20/80 for 6 months. Though one fault with that concept is that you want someone who is enthusiastic about both sports which would be rarer.

Reply #68892 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

Beware,

It would be illuminating to see what effect his involvement with soccer had on the juniors and female components of that sport. Would he only be interested in the 36ers as a franchise which could be made into a profitable exercise for himself or is he ready to help with the Fellas and the rest of the sport?

Reply #68893 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

pickard to help out is awesome

Reply #68895 | Report this post

my 2 cents worth  
Years ago

I can't see it working.

Do one super club? People who like Basketball don't usually like Soccer. If the seasons were different, then yes for sure it could work. Just can't see people forking out to goto two games a week.

If he wanted to put money into Basketball and turn it around and leave some what of a legacy of his name, then that would be great.

I believe this is a smoke and mirrors trick for him pulling out of Soccer, it is not my place to say why he is pulling out of soccer, but I'm sure the truth will come out within the next 6-12 months.

Reply #68898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon is very sick so i dont think it would happen thats y he is giving up adeliade utd

Reply #68899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon is very sick so i dont think it would happen thats y he is giving up adeliade utd

Reply #68900 | Report this post

my 2 cents worth  
Years ago

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I guess I can mention it now, yes he is very sick and I doubt he will see the year out.

He doesn't want many to know (no one here will say anything I'm sure :)) So this was the perfect escape out of soccer, to say that he is looking at a new challenge.

Reply #68907 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

He is a passionate man with experience, positive track record and fresh ideas. There is nothing more he can do with United and Im sure he wants to go out helping out. If his participation lasts 6 months, a valuable 6 months it would be.

Reply #68916 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

you would think that if he was to take it on you would expect him at least to TALK to the powers that be whether that be Mike Daws or the administator before he made an announcement.

at the moment IMO it is media hype, but I don't like the idea of a super club it might work for Real Madrid with a population in the millions. but would it seriously work in Adelaide?

Reply #68919 | Report this post

my 2 cents worth  
Years ago

No it wouldn't. Especially when the two sports are played at the same time of year.

And let's think about it, the majority of people that like either basketball or soccer, don't like the other sport.

Reply #68921 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

"you want someone who is enthusiastic about both sports which would be rarer."

Isaac - Libertine...?

Reply #68923 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dunkenstein, yeah, I can imagine running a really successful business when your staffing potential is limited to a single individual. Who's in Europe. And not currently interested in working.

"So, we need to hire someone who likes basketball and soccer."

"Yes, but the only person who fits that description suddenly wants to be paid $600,000/year."

"Right."
In the interest of generating some conversation, what elements could a basketball and soccer club share? A PR person? A preferred sports bar? Cheerleaders/dancers? Print/web agency? Ticketing staff? Security company?

Reply #68925 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the Perth Wildcats & West Coast Eagles share admin & staff. I'm not sure exactly which roles over lap, but I remember them joining forces a few years back.

Reply #68928 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

It does happen in other parts of the world. Where you join one club and in that club has more then sport you can go see for your money. So why can't it work here? Yes it would take some admin to do but I can see it may just work here. The only down side I can see is. Is Adelaide big enough to try something like this?

Reply #68930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't suggesting Libertine as a viable option, halfway through a law degree, i'm sure he'd change career paths because of Pickard's "Superclub".

But surely people with interests in both exist.

If the two clubs were aligned, benefits could come out of the out-sourcing of contracts.

Ie. A Catering company may offer 20% if they could secure Hindmarsh stadium AND Distinctive Homes Dome.

A larger staff base to assist in busy times.

Ie. If BSA were snowed under with scheduling junior games, soccer staff could assist in (for example) admin, to free up some basketball staff to help out in scheduling.

Reply #68931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Gordon/Fairmont Homes tipping in loads of money, would that spell the end of Distinctive Homes involvement?

Would that good or bad, apart from having to find yet another name for the not-a-dome?

Reply #68935 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The multi-sport club idea is actually very common, both at grass roots level and at the professional level.

In Europe, Real Madrid have a soccer team (obviously) but also have a basketball team. Manu Ginobili I believe played for them, as did Drazen Petrovic. They share training facilities and benefit from a common brand.

At grass roots level, plenty of local footy and netball clubs share clubrooms, fundraising etc. It is at least worth investigating if those pricipals are applicable to the Sixers/United situation

Reply #68966 | Report this post

Janx  
Years ago

bit of a story on Pickard and his generosity.

A number of years ago we were raising some money to play in Eltham. We were doing a car wash and we see a Ferrari pull up at a stop light. One of my fellow teammates goes up to the ferrari and asks if we could please wash his car. The driver said he was too busy but asked what we were raising money for. My mate explained. The driver of the ferrari proceeded to pull out $200 out of his wallet to go towards the trip. $200 back then was a lot more than it is now. The team manager recognised the ferrari driver as Gordon Pickard. Next week the team manager rocks up to deliver a thankyou letter (thinking Pickard could use it as a tax deduction etc.) and pickard proceeds to donate another $1000. This was not asked for nor was it really needed.

However Pickard liked that the club was local, we were working hard to raise money for the team and the fact we took the time out to thank him. He did not ask us to wear his company name, his donation was not profit driven and there was no reason for it, other than philanthropy.

The guy is one of the most ethical, giving business men in this state. he has done so much for the state. The fact that people try to find holes and suggest he has a second agenda in what he is trying to do demonstrates one the reasons why basketball is struggling at some levels. maybe he is just a nice guy, who has plenty of money who likes the challenge and kudos of helping out a financially ailing sport.

(Mod: *wipes tear from eye*)

Reply #68978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

distinctive homes will be still involved with the sixers because george and gordon are best of mates

Reply #68979 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

"And let's think about it, the majority of people that like either basketball or soccer, don't like the other sport."

And this is based on what evidence? (They asked EC! Haha! Sorry EC!)

You certainly are not talking on behalf of myself or my friends who go to basketball with me. Personally they are the only two sports I can watch and find them very similar in pace, atmosphere etc.

Reply #68996 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Pickard would be one of Adelaide's biggest philanthropists, but always something he does with very little publicity.

As far as the super club idea goes, I like it.

How about a combined members ticket, which gets you into both games?

Imagine the benefits this weekend, being able to watch the 36ers kick some Taipans butt, only then to see the Reds go through and win their final on Sunday.

Obviously at the same time, you would still offer member passes for the individual sport as well.

Has a lot of potential..

Reply #69011 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

the cross support would be great. I always thought why don't they play up the 6ers-crows more. They have the charity game, brett is a ambassador for the crows i think, the sports don't really clash time wise and we could really use the extra PR. You don't really need to offer more concepts just hype up the connection, kinda like a sporting family thing.

Reply #69032 | Report this post

NeVeR FoRgEt  
Years ago

Mr Pickard would bring enormous benefits in marketing, sponsorship, management, development and financial nouse to basketball in this State with spinoffs across all levels of the game.

You don't emigrate to a country post WW2 parent-less, sleep under bridges in the city, lose tips of fingers as an apprentice carpenter, build your first home in Glenelg and decades later become a multi millionairre, quietly giving, and humble philanthropist without having dreams, goals, dedication, enthusiasm and vision, something basketball here desperately needs!!

That Red Ferrari Testarossa or clapped out bomb matters not. If he offers anyone his time for anything, the experience is worth all spent with him. No amount of money can ever buy that! Let's hope the media is correct and not headline sensationalising.

GP/HC : Dinner & John Riddoch Coonawarra Estate Cab Sav on me!

Reply #69035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:39 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754