what the
Years ago

Benchmarking referee standards

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on this concept.

A lot of discussion on refereeing standards has been posted. Even the best or highest graded referees have bad days - just like the players.

What about this -

Every ref is currently graded from level 0 to FIBA.

Give a ref 1 point for every level of grading that they hold.

ie level 0 = 0

1 = 1, 2 = 2 etc etc

Now maintain a minimal point score for the referees to meet to be allowed to referee that game -

ie Div 1 U20 men - must have a minimal referee point score of three - so the minimal base level would be a level 1 and 2, or a level 3 and 0 (this can allow refs in training to have a go at this game - but they must have a senior ref with them) - the score can be more - ie 2 level 2s = 4 points.

U18 Div 1 = 3 points
u18 Div 2 = 2 points

etc, etc

u12 div 4 = 1 point

Topic #609 | Report this topic

Punter  
Years ago

I would have thought surely UIC would have enough brains to have experienced Refs on with new ones anyway. To me there is no need for this sysytem as UIC should be doing that anyway.

Reply #5857 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Agreed. UIC's already do that.

I dont think it could be quite that simple. There is a severe shortage of refs in SA. The best refs available at the time get the higher graded games.

Reply #5914 | Report this post

Mr Nice Guy  
Years ago

Actually, a point system would be interesting. If you implemented it you would have so many games abandoned because of not having the neccessary referee "points" to play the game.

And if games weren't played because of a referee shortage, then BASA might notice that there is something wrong and do something about it.

Reply #6387 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Junior referees are rostered by "Umpires in Charge", who are experienced official themselves.

A point system would be too formal but the process is sound. You will normally find a mix of experience between the two officials on the floor or you may find that they will be of equal ability if they are matched in experience.

I'm open to hearing new ideas when it comes to how we can improve the game through refereeing.

Reply #6397 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754